Failure, mis-step or no biggie

Options
12 days in and missed my first net calorie goal. Missed it by 170 calories. Hot day, BBQ at my house, cherry vanilla ice cream (locally made) just too good to pass up. Is this: 1. failure,2. a mis-step, 3. no biggie or 4. something else? At my second Sunday morning weigh in lost 2 more pounds for a total loss of 4 since starting. 215# to 211#. Back on track Monday morning. I did keep my miss below 500 calories over ;-)

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    It happens. Answer: 3 - no biggie.
    Getting back to it is what matters. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No biggie. You did not go over your maintenance level and it was just one day.
    Look at your weekly calorie count.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I go over and under all the time. When I'm thin and healthy, that will be a success. The day-to-day stuff - I don't judge it.

It's your weight loss journey and you get to make the rules. Consider it a success, failure, misstep, whatever you like. I'd go with no biggie. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    #4 Sounds like you had fun. and #3 no biggie. You have your whole life ahead of you and this is life.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    No biggie. You will have "worse" days the longer you do this, and even those aren't failures. Some days and weeks are easier than others, and sometimes you'll gain. If the good outweighs the bad and the scale overall trends downward, you're on the right track.
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    #3 no biggie
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    #4 - something else: Life. Stay under your maintenance calories and you'll continue to lose. Enjoy a treat now and again, and you'll succeed.

Good job on your loss so far.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "no biggie". It's only a problem if you allow it to lead to many further indulgences/overages.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks, I thought so, Just wanted some confirmation.

Caitwn: I like your icon.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ok, you say you missed it by 170 calories. What if you'd have missed it by 1700. The answers the same. You get back on the horse and keep moving forward.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    To use MFP, you figured out your estimated maintenance goal, and set a deficit below that.

Your maintenance goal represents what you would consume daily to maintain your weight. Logically, that means that your maintenance goal is an accurate depiction of your regular daily habits before you started thinking about making healthy choices.

Now you are being mindful about having gone 170 calories above your established deficit, and wondering what the impact is.

1) Don't worry about going over this one time. Keep setting goals, and pursuing them. When you go a little overboard, don't let it become a habit.

2) Celebrate that you're now being mindful, and that you are conscientious about going over a limit that is well-below your previous unhealthy habits!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The only failure is giving up entirely.

Days that you go over will happen. It does not mean failure. Get that out of your head right now and you'll have more success.

What do you do when you go over? Easy, move on. Try to hit your goal today. There's no need to make up for it or to dwell on it. We are all human and will never be perfect all the time. Focus on today and do your best today.

That's my long and platitude way of saying #3: no biggie. I'm just concerned about where this question is coming from. Even if you ate 2000 calories over your maintenance, it would be no biggie. It's one day. Just move forward.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I ate nearly 3000 calories on Saturday. I weigh 130 lbs. So #3, no biggee. It's when you consistently eat more than you burn that it's a problem. Some days I'm good and some days I'm bad. It's all about balance.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    *shrug* to me it's all three. A failure to reach a single goal, caused by a misstep. But it's also no biggie, since a) you were probably still in a deficit because you only went over by a small amount, and b) even if you were in a surplus (even a huge surplus) it's not as though it did anything but set you back by a little bit.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and move forward. Consider it a learning experience :smile: