Changed goal weight - aiming for a healthy BMI

Options
Hi. I started trying to lose weight in March 2014 by counting calories. I joined MFP in May 2015. I started trying to lose weight because I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I've lost 18 kg/39 pounds so far. My starting weight was 101.5 kg/223 pounds. I'm 5 feet tall. I now weigh 83.5 kg/184 pounds.

My doctor initially told me to lose 10 kg/22 pounds. I changed doctors when I moved and she set me a goal weight of weighing 75 kg/165 pounds. However this will still leave me with a BMI of obese.

I decided I would like to aim for 57 kg/125 pounds, as this will give me a healthy BMI and I want to be as healthy as possible. Some people of my height would aim for a lower weight but I'm happy with being at the top of my healthy weight range.

I have a long way to go! Hopefully I can get there eventually :)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Good work so far! You've come a long way :)

Aiming for the top of your healthy BMI range is a great goal. That was my first big goal as well. Good luck!
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I joined MFP I'd already lost about 35lbs, and my goal was just to get down to 180; I'd be overweight, but I couldn't possibly imagine being smaller. I got close (then bounced back up), but was completely not happy with how my body looked. So, I readjusted to the top end of healthy. I figure once I get close to that goal I could reassess again.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

A couple years ago I posted a goal of 160 on a blog as a short term goal since I struggled to get under 200 and stay there even. Someone had told me to rethink since that was obese for my height even though I never said it was the end goal.

Got more focused on the idea about a year ago, I made small goals along with some long term ones and I've gotten down to 143. Just need to figure out a final goal. It's good to have both the final, healthier goal, but also some short term ones to reach along the way.

And find ways to have fun too. :smile:
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal, you may want to consider getting a body fat percentage check - depending on your build, your BMI may mislead you. Especially if you are adding exercise to your weight loss plan. You may end up being higher than "healthy" BMI, but at a healthy body fat % (which is the better goal).
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal, you may want to consider getting a body fat percentage check - depending on your build, your BMI may mislead you. Especially if you are adding exercise to your weight loss plan. You may end up being higher than "healthy" BMI, but at a healthy body fat % (which is the better goal).

I had a body fat percentage check recently. It was a very high number but what I expected. I do exercise a fair bit but only cardio. I would like to get my body fat percentage checked again but not until I've lost a lot more weight. Thanks for pointing out I should keep my body fat percentage in mind.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your current losses. You're a hair taller than me and your goal of hitting the top of the healthy BMI range was also my initial health goal, too. The other ideas already tossed out about setting in-between goals and periodically reassessing have been turning out to be sanity savers for me. You also might like having them to focus on while you're working on that slide down to 57kg/125lbs.