please help me come up with arm-free workouts!

Options
weightlifting has become a huge part of my life. yesterday I hurt my shoulder pretty bad while squatting (not a form issue I promise) and I can't even handle the pressure of a bra strap today. basically all the lifts I do involve some shoulder involvement or at least holding weights in my hands, which I can't do right now. I can't go.to the.doctor for at least a week to find out what exactly is wrong but I know I have a huge limitation. I really don't want to stop lifting but I need some ideas so I can continue working out. does anyone have any suggestions of workouts I can do while I heal (other than straight cardio)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How do you hurt your shoulder with a squat? :huh:

You should probably rest, seriously.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I bumped the rack back a few inches when I was putting the weight down and my hubby thought I needed help (I didn't) so he grabbed one side of the bar and lifted it off me when i wasn't expecting it so all the weight pressed hard directly on my scaplua
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Take some time off
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Take time off now or take time off later for a longer period when you continue to injure an already injured shoulder. Your choice.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Lay off weights for a season and take up swimming.
    This will keep you in great condition without stressing your muscles and joints.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    A week off won't hurt your progress. Continued exercising while injured could.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This will keep you in great condition without stressing your muscles and joints.

Swimming with a jacked up, immobile shoulder?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I bumped the rack back a few inches when I was putting the weight down and my hubby thought I needed help (I didn't) so he grabbed one side of the bar and lifted it off me when i wasn't expecting it so all the weight pressed hard directly on my scaplua

Did you beat him? I think I would have beat him....(spotters, sometimes yea! sometimes grrrrr!)

If it's only upper body there's all kinds of lower body workouts. Yeah, they are machine based but you'll still get a lower body workout in.

• boogiewookie
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I had a feeling I was going to have to take it easy for a while but I figured it was worth a shot to see if there were any creative ways to avoid it. im sure ill thank myself later if I give it time to heal.

and I didn't beat him but I did yell quite a few choice not-so-nice words at that moment but later apologised becase I know he was just trying to help. he feels bad so im not going to make him feel worse, but man this irritates me. I've gotten seriously addicted to training and have big goals I'm working toward.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    That's a tough break. Yes rest up, a couple weeks off will only drive you crazy, not weak.

Beating up your husband is a bad idea since he will be serving you hand and foot for his penance.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Swimming with a jacked up, immobile shoulder?
    Yes, lay on a raft and float around using your legs, or just walk around in the water.
    It's something...
    8o14sky64cx4.jpg

• boogiewookie
    Options
    I have to be nice to him, he volunteered to wash my hair for a little while lol. swimming could be fun. plus I totally forgot I can do quad extensions and hamstring curls on my bench. I think ill be ok. Ive come up with lots of bodyweight lower body and ab moves to keep me busy.
  • boogiewookie
    Options
    ill definitely look into bands, there are some good tips in there and she looks amazing! iblike the idea of going slow and controlled. when I do bodyweight exercises I have a habit of rushing it and getting as many reps in as I can. Thank you!