10 Day Juice

Options
Has anyone tried a ten day juice detox? My wife and I watched a documentary on Netflix about Joe Cross, an Australia businessman who travel across the US having people try his veggie juice. It was an inspiring watch. He lost like 90lbs in 60 days. I need to jump start my system after slipping off mfp which I gained 6lbs back.

Replies

• rayita001
    rayita001 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi! I watched the same documentary as well and I too was inspired. I started the 15-day reboot. I'm on day 6 and have lost almost 10 lbs. Today is the day I begin ALL juice for the next 10 days. Lets see how it goes.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Juicing is terrible. It's increases your risk of different metabolic disorders from the excess fructose, it removes the healthy part of fruit (fiber) and leaves you with a cup full of sugar water, it doesn't provide enough fats or protein for you body to function properly, and you'll lose muscle and possibly damage your organs.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Have any research to back it up. There are so many experts out there and studies.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Have any research to back it up. There are so many experts out there and studies.
    I always have studies:

http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

If you need more I can dig them up, I just had these two links on hand.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a great thread which explains why "detoxing/cleansing" is a bunch of bunk, along with several peer-reviewed studies to back the information up:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses

Your body is perfectly equipped to "detox" itself - that's what your liver and kidneys are for.

It takes approximately 3500 calories to rid yourself of a pound of fat, so let's do the math: To lose 90 pounds of fat in 60 days, you'd be losing a pound and a half a day. That would require a deficit of around 5,250 calories per day. That's not going to "magically" happen because of drinking some fruitcake's juice cleanse, and if it did somehow happen, it certainly wouldn't be healthy for your body. You'd also lose plenty of muscle mass, which is rarely the desired result unless your goal is just to become a smaller, saggier, droopier version of your current self.

You gained 6 lbs. back - big deal. Get back into a reasonable caloric deficit and it will come off in a few weeks. No need to resort to ridiculous measures which will do more harm than good.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Don't do that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Joe is in the business of selling books & juicers. Fat Sick & Nearly Dead could be netter described as a 90 minute infomercial than documentary.

I could certainly see the value of juicing as a way of upping your intake of plant based nutrients but even then just eating the veggies would be better for you......
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I saw the same documentary. Inspiring for sure. I researched and bought the best juicer for me. And yes...I juice. Make a nice green juice 2 - 3 times a week. No...I do not juice fast. I add my juice to my current diet. I am not fond of raw veggies and I know I don't get enough of them in my diet, but I love the juice. I do eat cooked veggies but I feel some of the nutrients are cooked out. Since I really don't like salads day in and day out, I drink a nice 16oz glass of green juice daily.
  • VeganCoco
    VeganCoco Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    People are so negative about juicing, it does NOT strip the healthy parts of the fruit, yes some nutrients are lost just like they are in any form of cooking, so I suppose your other option s to eat only raw food.

Yes the fiber is lost, but you are suggesting a 10 day detox not a lifestyle change so it isn't a huge issue, you can easily get some fiber back into your diet with some flax seed added to your juices.

The reason that juicing is so good for you is that you can easily juice 3 x the veg and fruit that you can eat realistically into one handy drink.

If you juice all fruits you will take in a lot of sugar, but it's natural sugar, if this is an issue for you I suggest juicing 80% veg and adding in 20% fruit to improve flavour.

Another thing people love to moan about is that juicing doesn't 'detox' you 'you have organs for that bla bla' but detox is a misleading word, nobody is suggesting that juicing removes any actual toxins from your body, for me it's more about gaining control over my food 'addictions' for sugar, caffeine and processed food and I think that juicing does that very effectively. It also cleanses your digestive system and allows your organs to 'rest' for want of a better word.

I do think that 10 days is too long though, 5 days would maybe be better and then after than encorporate juicing into a healthy lifestyle with lots of solid food!

Research wise - there is plenty on both sides of the fence and people will always produce the one most relevant to them, you just have to make your own mind up based on the evidence!

I'm doing a 5 day juice cleanse next week, I've done them before, always lost weight and never gained it back.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    People are so negative about juicing, it does NOT strip the healthy parts of the fruit, yes some nutrients are lost just like they are in any form of cooking, so I suppose your other option s to eat only raw food.

Yes the fiber is lost, but you are suggesting a 10 day detox not a lifestyle change so it isn't a huge issue, you can easily get some fiber back into your diet with some flax seed added to your juices.

The reason that juicing is so good for you is that you can easily juice 3 x the veg and fruit that you can eat realistically into one handy drink.

If you juice all fruits you will take in a lot of sugar, but it's natural sugar, if this is an issue for you I suggest juicing 80% veg and adding in 20% fruit to improve flavour.

Another thing people love to moan about is that juicing doesn't 'detox' you 'you have organs for that bla bla' but detox is a misleading word, nobody is suggesting that juicing removes any actual toxins from your body, for me it's more about gaining control over my food 'addictions' for sugar, caffeine and processed food and I think that juicing does that very effectively. It also cleanses your digestive system and allows your organs to 'rest' for want of a better word.

I do think that 10 days is too long though, 5 days would maybe be better and then after than encorporate juicing into a healthy lifestyle with lots of solid food!

Research wise - there is plenty on both sides of the fence and people will always produce the one most relevant to them, you just have to make your own mind up based on the evidence!

I'm doing a 5 day juice cleanse next week, I've done them before, always lost weight and never gained it back.
    Fruit juice is simple sugars. Why would that help you break a sugar addiction? When I need to clean up my diet and feel like doing a "detox" I do a protein sparing modified fast. I'll do 3-5 days of 80% protein 15% fat 5% carbs. I'll just drink protein shakes and eat egg whites with flax seeds and leafy green vegetables. I'll also take a multivitamin. This way my body is still getting the protein it needs and the essential vitamins, minerals, and EFA's.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Another thing people love to moan about is that juicing doesn't 'detox' you 'you have organs for that bla bla' but detox is a misleading word, nobody is suggesting that juicing removes any actual toxins from your body, for me it's more about gaining control over my food 'addictions' for sugar, caffeine and processed food and I think that juicing does that very effectively.
    How does drinking pureed fruits or vegetables accomplish that any more effectively than just refraining from eating/drinking those substances? I don't understand the "magic" process which supposedly "reboots" your mind. We're not computers.
    It also cleanses your digestive system and allows your organs to 'rest' for want of a better word.
    By that line of reasoning, it would also be a good idea to take a 5-day refrain from breathing once in a while so our lungs can "cleanse" themselves of all the inhaled toxins. I don't think I'd recommend that any more than I'd recommend a juice "fast/cleanse".

For the record, I see no problem whatsoever with incorporating fruits and vegetables as part of a well-rounded diet. It's a good thing. If one chooses to stick them all in a blender together and puree them up into some green goo, that's fine too. What I do see as a problem is ascribing some mystical, magical powers to ordinary food items and excluding all other forms of sustenance from the diet for days/weeks. Especially since protein and fat intake is going to be close to nil during that period, and both of those macronutrients are vital to many bodily functions.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    juicing + well rounded diet can be beneficial. Drinking nothing but juice for 10 day is just somthing i would never do or recommend.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Wow, thanks for your input. I like the idea of supplementing juice with a balanced diet. My wife and I hadn't started it anyways. Was waiting for more info.
  • TheLadyRaw
    TheLadyRaw Posts: 17
    Options
    In regards to losing muscle on a juice fast... simply not possible if you have fat on your body.
    The body is equipped to burn fat cells for fuel when you run out of glycogen.. the only issue comes when your blood sugar is low and the body burns muscle for glucose (gluconeogenesis).... keep your exercise very low and sustained (longer, slower activity) to prevent losing muscle. Don't forget to lift heavy things when on this juice fast and you will do it in a healthy way. No running or crazy cycling.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've never done a complete juice detox, but I try to replace one meal every day or every other day. I find that it gives me more energy and does wonders for my skin. If you're looking for a great book with a lot of recipes check out the Juice Bible by Pat Crocker. The author lists almost every type of condition or disease and then gives different juicing recipes for that particular condition.

Also, if you get a certain type of juicer that discards the pulp in a separate bin, you can just blend that pulp into your juice to add fiber or you can use it for other things such as jam.

Here is one juice that I make a lot for breakfast...

2 handfuls of spinach
    2 roman lettuce leaves
    1 carrot
    1 medium cucumber
    1 green apple
    1/2 lemon (without skin)
    ....and then occasionally I blend in a banana to make it more thick and creamy.

Juicing isn't always really high in sugar. You just need to use more vegetable than fruit in your juice. I just use 1/2 - 1 green apple to mellow out the veggie taste, it does wonders! Also, to add protein/fiber I like to blend in ground flax/chia seeds.

Hope this helps!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't juice fast for any period of time. I have a juicer and do drink juice 4-6 days a week but I only drink it as an afternoon snack or in place of lunch if I'm really not that hungry for lunch. I love the juice we make at home but I wouldn't rely on it as my sole food intake for any length of time.

I like juicing because I consume far more vegetables that way that I normally do. It removes the fiber from the veggies however I put that to good use. The carrot pulp is used for carrot muffins. The spinach pulp for example is put into sauces along with some carrot pulp. It gets put into a container in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I also use the vegetable pulp with some ground flax seed, soaked flaxseed, and some onion and some spices to make crackers.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    In regards to losing muscle on a juice fast... simply not possible if you have fat on your body.
    The body is equipped to burn fat cells for fuel when you run out of glycogen.. the only issue comes when your blood sugar is low and the body burns muscle for glucose (gluconeogenesis).... keep your exercise very low and sustained (longer, slower activity) to prevent losing muscle. Don't forget to lift heavy things when on this juice fast and you will do it in a healthy way. No running or crazy cycling.
    Lol no.

What about when your body is in need of essential amino acids that are not found in juice? Y'know where it gets them? Your muscles!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Why not just consume a rational diet that you enjoy?
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Why not just consume a rational diet that you enjoy?
    Because most people assume you can't possibly lose weight unless you suffer/punish yourself in the process.