Why did you get fat?

Options
Sometimes it happens, but usually there is some kind of reason.
I was never a small adult, I was not raised to take care of my body and eat right. But when I lost my daughter due to early onset Preeclamspia, I really let it go. I gained about 40 lbs!

What is your story?

Replies

• wstorm64
    wstorm64 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My condolences to you for losing your daughter. I too gained weight after loosing a family member. About 50 pounds.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your losses. :( Loss is never easy.

I was already fat due to metabolic issues. It got worse when I had a nasty slip and fall and gained close to 100 pounds from immobility.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your daughter. That's very traumatic. Sorry for your loss.

I over ate because I didn't care. I just ate and ate and ate because it made me feel better. Finally one day I realized I needed to deal with my problems in a better way.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    all I know since day one, is how to be fat/overweight/obese/morbidly obese, I don't blame my parents but I was raised with the worst eating habits, and is not so much about the food per ser cause this body got so big on home made food, but the serving size were hugeeee! and it doesn't help that mom cooks so good :o

so NO I didn't just 'gain'. for me was the natural evolution of always eating an excessive amount of calories.
    and again did not help that my thing were always book and not so much sports and that sort of activities.

PD: sorry about your daughter!
  • 25sherry
    25sherry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can't imagine losing a child....It's something no one should ever have to endure. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, just got lazy and complacent. Guess becoming a grandmother made me feel like it was okay to be chubby but I'm not happy with it. Ready to get back into shape and healthy.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yikes, sorry about your situation.
    That's rough <3

My story involves being physically injured, and I could not train but kept eating like an athlete in training.
    I bloated up like an inflatable walrus.
    In 6 months I gained 100 pounds. It took me 2 years to lose the lard, and I have maintained my results going on 3 years now.

Best of luck to you!
    :)

• actualbears
    actualbears Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I could never imagine losing someone like that.

I was always a chubby kid, raised in a southern family where taking care of your kid meant feeding her til she stopped asking for food, which for me was rarely. I was spoiled by grandparents and not monitored by my parents and so I was fat.
    Through middle school I remained fat, due to depression, and having the kind of mom that constantly told me I didn't need to lose weight at my age and that I should love my body no matter what. I yoyo dieted all through middle school and gained a lot of weight.
    Once I reached high school, I was better. Not weight-wise, but I had friends, I was doing well, people thought I was funny and I finally started to like myself, despite being overweight. During my depression, I always told myself to make me happy first, and the rest would follow. I rammed that mantra into my head in a really unhealthy way, to the point where I thought "eating this slice of cake is probably bad for me, but it will make me happy, so who cares? Happiness first."
    Turns out, my mantra was slightly wrong, and now I'm smack dab in the middle of an "obese" BMI.

Happiness should come first, before anything, but permanent happiness comes before temporary happiness. That is what I take from this. u.u
  • Gozergirl
    Gozergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing your stories!
    I personally aim to be under 200 (30 lbs away now) By new year. Don't know if Ill make it, But i am sure going to try!
  • actualbears
    actualbears Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Under 200 by new year is my goal too!
  • lcbaueroc
    lcbaueroc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stressful job, difficult home life, not feeling like I had a proper outlet to express my frustration.
  • mharder0518
    mharder0518 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo sorry for your loss. I could not begin to fathom the loss of a child.

I am young to be so worried about my weight but it's really not my weight I am worried about its my health! I don't want some of the health problems that come with not eating right and exercising. I also am going through a major transition in my life. I have never had my faith this strong and am doing good in school and wanted to lose some weight to tie it all together!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Gozergirl wrote: »
    Thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing your stories!
    I personally aim to be under 200 (30 lbs away now) By new year. Don't know if Ill make it, But i am sure going to try!

You can do it ! I started above 200 also and am now 135lbs . don't give up , your so close !
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    13? Food addiction, bullying, low self esteem. Weight didn't get high until early 20's, hit 330lb and at 25 started losing weight. Down to 204 lbs at 6 feet tall, would like to get down 25-30 more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I ate too much.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    illness
  • azriisma
    azriisma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

me too.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

^This. :lol: I've been fat since I was a kid. I was fed a pretty poor diet and was never taught decent nutrition for my body. The weight always seemed to stay at around the same though when I hit 16 years old. I'm not gonna blame other people though. I mean... I'm big because I let myself get this way and never did anything about it.

It was only a few months ago that I got a very active job in a warehouse which has really helped me with staying active and start losing weight. Which led me to come back to MFP :smile:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your daughter. I was a small person my whole life until mid 40's. I got a bit of an empty nest syndrome when my children grew up and moved away. But most of all, living alone, I got lazy, rarely cooked and spent way too much time on the sofa with my nose in a book. When I realized that I could no longer count myself as a slim person and started to feel unwell a good part of the time, I reorganized my life. Turning 60 made me even more aware of wanting to feel energetic and able to live a full life.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I got fat when i quit smoking and over the years I developed a binging on sweets habit. But i was always going to struggle with my weight. My sister is the opposite. For me really healthy whole food eating is the cure.
  • dinozaurs
    dinozaurs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In my case there are a few reasons. 1. I am comfort eating. If other people drink or smoke, I do eat. 2. I love to eat and taste all the flavours. I would eat and eat and sometimes even don't realise that it all add up. 3. I can't stop. Since I was little I was told to clear my plate and often if I feel full I still clear the plate and then feel sick. 4 I was in a car accident and had a poor back and neck for nearly 2 years so I couldn't be as active as before so kgs just piled up. Now i feel better, I am happier and have a willpower to change myself and this app is very helpful.