Anyone done Couch to 5K?

Options
First day of Couch to 5K! Feeling pretty good about it. I mean, the hardest part is starting right?!

I just need to get out of my head and stick to it. I can do this!

Side note: All tips are greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yesterday I did W5D1. I totally love this program. My only advice would be to take the runs slowly, especially if they are very difficult or hard to complete.

And you can do it!
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and have restarted it recently. I am a fair bit heavier than I was back then, but am still having a go!
    I am halfway through week 4 and agree, take it slowly.
    I use a treadmill at the gym and have it set on about 5.5 (km/hr) for both walking and the 'running' part. I will keep the runs slow until I complete the program, then worry about speed!

I thought the program was great. I was never a regular exerciser and it was so great to finally be able to say 'ok, i'm off for my run!'
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 yesterday and it's definitely getting harder but I feel good about running without stopping and improving day by day

I've been roaming round the neighbourhood at a very slow pace in the freeze your face off cold and am now looking forward to summer when its both lighter and warmer
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I did it and got pretty far...then it was November and started coughing, which didn't go well with running and haven't picked it back up. don't hesitate to repeat a week or day if you don't feel ready to move on. It's a great program!
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I finished it about 2 months ago and I'm still running! The other day I ran 5 miles straight:) I remember starting out and saying, "I ran for 3 minutes! Without stopping!!" I love that every run is a new personal record.

Wear good shoes, go slow, and have fun! There will be times when you feel like you can't move to the next level, try it anyway, you may be surprised:)
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Reading all of your replies has helped a lot. I will definitely take it slow because knowing me I would have burned out and then wondered what went wrong.

Best of luck to everyone! We can do this :)
  • odc12345
    odc12345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did it a year ago to get fit for basic training. It was great and I recommend it to get yourself started. I eventually was able to do more than they were asking so eventually you will to. I got my mom to use it as well and she loved it.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about ct5k just today. I did it about 2.5 years ago now and it was the first step on my fitness journey. The best thing about it, in my opinion, is that it teaches you that you are stronger than you think. I struggled to run for 30 seconds when I started so when I saw 60 seconds on the plan I thought I couldn't do it - but I did. I kept amazing myself every week until instead of telling myself I couldn't do it I started trusting that I could. My body is stronger and more capable than I ever gave it credit for.
    My advice is to trust the program, its very well designed. Don't be afraid to repeat a week or just a session if you feel you need to but always give it a try. For the big jumps (i think its week 5) I ran with a more experienced runner who helped me keep going when I didn't believe I could run for 20 minutes straight. I did it
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I completed the program last year to introduce me to running. Per doctor's orders, I was out of commission from January 15th to July 6th, so I am in the middle of redoing the program to make sure the parts of my body that were affected by my injury come out okay.

It really gave me confidence the first time around and continues to do so now! I felt great last week after the session 3 of week 5.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I finished it about a month ago, and now I'm running 5k 3 or 4 times a week, including a weekly Parkrun!

I'm the fittest I've ever been
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @cyronius @kindrabbit That's so inspiring! I've always stuck to the idea that I am not a runner. "It's just not my thing." I have given up before starting. Therefore, I am really pumped to push myself and trust the program :smile: Will be keeping an eye out for local 5K!
  • LilMissLisaC
    LilMissLisaC Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on W2D3! its 4*2 minute runs, I can do the first 2 but my legs just don't want to go on the 3rd and 4th I guess I'll just keep trying until I can do it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I did it. there is an active group here c25k
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's a great way to start out. I never finished it because once I learned that I could run a reasonable distance, I just started running without worrying about following the program. A year ago, I couldn't run 100 yards. I now do 5Ks and am aiming for a 10K (doing about 8K now). Being able to run, and enjoying it, continues to amaze and amuse me.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on W2D3! its 4*2 minute runs, I can do the first 2 but my legs just don't want to go on the 3rd and 4th I guess I'll just keep trying until I can do it!

Try dropping your speed slightly. For me, it's not that my legs aren't interested, it's that I am overheating or that I'm struggling to get my breath.

I just did week 5 day 1 today and it felt great. So happy to be back at it.

There's a fantastic group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

• LilMissLisaC
    LilMissLisaC Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Try dropping your speed slightly. For me, it's not that my legs aren't interested, it's that I am overheating or that I'm struggling to get my breath.

There's a fantastic group here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I do think I go off too quick on the first couple of 'runs' and wear myself out before the later ones, tomorrow I will try to concentrate on slowing down :) x
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options

I do think I go off too quick on the first couple of 'runs' and wear myself out before the later ones, tomorrow I will try to concentrate on slowing down :) x

I agree to both points made by goldthistime: the C25K group is really great and slow down. One of the hardest parts of this program is to realize that you don't have to run fast; just slow and steady.
    You can all do this. C25K works.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am on 5K running and have almost completed week 3 and loving it, yes it is hard, but I see improvements every week in my running (or in my case fast wobbling) I last longer, I go faster and longer. I honestly recommend these types of apps for anyone starting out exercising. I am now considering starting to run outside soon instead of only on the treadmill.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

When I was first starting out, one of my friends told me "running is a gait, not a speed." That's one of my mantras now -- I still say it in my head while I'm running if it starts to feel like I'm going too fast and gassing myself out.