C25K People - do you carry on after you finish?

Options
So for those of you who are doing, or have done, C25K, I was noticing that they say not to skip ahead or do more than one a day. I did the first day yesterday and while it had challenging moments, I wasn't particularly knackered after I finished. The app I'm using suggests that if you want to carry on working out you could walk, which is what I did - walked at 6KPH for the duration of the cool down plus another 15 minutes (to meet my goal of 45 minutes total). But I'm curious what others do - switch machines (I'm doing this on a treadmill but at a 1% incline which is what the trainer at the gym suggested to better mimic "real" jogging)? Walk? Or are you satisfied with the C25K workout alone?

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I found in the first few weeks I always wanted to do more. Not necessarily running, but more exercise for sure.

If I ran outdoors, this was slightly different, as I always find this harder (not sure if this is just me) but in the gym it was so much easier. I would usually do a 15 minute warm up on the rowing machine, then do my C25K, then 15 minutes on the cross trainer. That was a good workout for me.

Now I am on week 5 of the C25K. I am finding it much harder going (in fact am worried...I thought the program would have conditioned my body to find it a bit easier, but nooooo!) Again, if I do it outdoors, I just to the C25K. At the gym, I do 10 mins on any machine I feel like as a warm up, then the C25K and that's plenty! If I feel okay afterwards, I will just continue power walking as you mention.

But of course...all this is just me - you just have to play around till you find a routine that works for you! :happy:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I just completed W5D2 this morning, What i have found is that my speed has decreased to complete each day now that i'm progressing. At first it seemed easier and that i wasn't getting much of a workout although on week 2 i didn't realise 90 seconds lasted so long.

I do sometimes repeat half of week 1 again as i like the music track 15 minutes in :happy:
    I had a problem with a knee injury when i attempted Week 4 so after about a week and a half off went back to week 3. I can't believe i ran for 8 minutes this morning, Twice !!!!!!

I run on the treadmill so i can control my speed acurately and the general public aren't ready for my unique running style :noway:

I tyy to get to the gym on my rest days and do elliptical or swimming
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I am not as far along as you all are, but W2 & W3 I have added at the end another jog session, either one or two minutes, and today, my last day of W3 I added 2, 2 minute jogs. on my non C25K days I do a walk/jog for 30 minutes and will be upping that to 45 soon....plus, I do a resistance workout on these days as well. I peeked at next week.....oh, boy! jogging for 5 minutes straight! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :bigsmile:
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Kelly, week 4 scared the hell out of me and i had to repeat week 3. That said here i am about to finish week 5 with a 20 minute run, i struggled with week 1. You'll be surprised how quickly you imorove, good luck :wink:
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm only 2 days in (!) but I can tell it's going to challenge me - which is exactly what I need!
  • hawkeye14
    hawkeye14 Posts: 12
    Options
    All--

Hopefully you can help. I was at w7d1, but ended up with an injury. So, I am trying to fix my leg by cross training, ibuprofen, etc. I missed running, so I went back and tried w5d1 so I could have a break. Do you think I should continue, or just wait until completely healed, and go back to w7...?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I started Couch to 5k one year ago yesterday. I have stuck with running, and since I finished Couch to 5k, I have run 2 5k's, a quarter marathon, and a 9k :bigsmile: So, I certainly did stick with Couch to 5k the whole time, and even since then!