Stressed over a vacation

Options
ForestFairy022
ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, in December I'm going on a 3 week vacation with my sister's family. And I'm already stressing out, because they eat out daily. And it's not usually to chains, just random restaurants.

I'm probably going to gain plenty after this trip. I just don't know how to avoid it. I mean of course I could go for baked grilled ect...but even those things have tons of calories in a restaurant. (1050 for a burger in a restaurant, 500 for my homemade one, what?!)

Should I just roll with it and lose the weight AGAIN after I get back?? :sweat:

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Baked and grilled doesn't have to have a ton of calories. If you're eating a 1050 burger, there's something going on besides typical burger ingredients. A Whatburger is 590 calories, bun and all.

You're the only one who can decide how to approach this. It sounds like you've already resigned yourself to gaining weight.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Baked and grilled doesn't have to have a ton of calories. If you're eating a 1050 burger, there's something going on besides typical burger ingredients. A Whatburger is 590 calories, bun and all.

You're the only one who can decide how to approach this. It sounds like you've already resigned yourself to gaining weight.

Well it's not that I'm a pessimist (at least not in weight loss), but this isn't the first time I've gone on vacation with them. The last time was two weeks, and I gained 6lb. I ordered water with each meal, and did the obvious grilled, baked, salads ect. And they eat out more than they eat in. I've offered to cook once, but since I'm the "guest" that's "strictly forbidden". :neutral:
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Lose the six pounds before you go.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    did you try portion control & insisting on eg dressing on the side etc?
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just try to do your best and don't forget to ENJOY! You're on vacation! Like you said, just make wiser choices. Go for a salad as a side instead choosing french fries. Order grilled chicken instead of a fried chicken. But also have a burger once in a while and just eat one part of the bun and not all of it to save some calories.
    If you try to eat at maintenance you won't gain weight and can get back on track with losing once you get back home. Working out to up your calories is also great, even on vacation. Pack your running gear and go for a run in the mornings before everybody else gets up. Don't be too hard on yourself and just have a great time!
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Lose the six pounds before you go.

Yeah, haha that's the idea. Well bit more than that. About 18lb more like. But I'll regain once there. How much will be depending on my food choices in the restaurants. Guess I'll just lose the extra flab again after I get back.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just enjoy yourself. It's vacation! You are not supposed to stress about vacation....because it's VACATION! Go out and order a burger if you want and log it if you want. Try to stay somewhat close to your calorie goal, but be more lenient on yourself than usual. I personally do not worry about logging at all when on vacation. I may gain some weight. I may not. It's not a big deal. Most of it is water weight anyway because of the sodium in restaurant food.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    did you try portion control & insisting on eg dressing on the side etc?

Yes I did the hand-portion control thing. And I only put balsamic vinegar on my salads. And ordered salad instead of chips.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I sympathize. I've gained 2 pounds every time in 10 days of vacation from eating out, so yeah, you can expect to gain some weight (I mean, I gained more, but the rest was water weight, 2 pounds is what stuck after a week).

But you know what to do.. baked, grilled, sauce/dressing/condiments on the side, veggies, avoid fried stuff, practice moderation for pasta/rice etc... don't drink your calories... Don't order dessert unless it's something you REALLY want. But even then, it's not always easy, in my last vacation I just gave up trying to find places with healthy options after 3 frustrating days, and just tried to do my best, but it gets boring VERY fast. I could only find side salads instead of fries in most places and I just got so sick of salads...

Definitely follow your appetite, if you have a big lunch, have a light dinner. Have a light breakfast if you can (I can't, I need a big breakfast, which is probably why it was harder for me too). Eat until you're not hungry anymore, slowly, and don't make yourself finish your plate.

The positive part for me was that it wasn't convenient for me to snack at least, so I just ate at meals.

It's still vacations though so if there's something you really want, go for it. I think I had three meals where I ate whatever I wanted, and one of those times I ended up eating at maintenance anyway because I was too full for dinner (I like big meals at lunch, personally).

Of course you could afford to cook, if it's possible, but in your situation last year I was not comfortable to do that (didn't want them to feel uncomfortable by me insinuating that they eat out too much etc).

ETA: just read your reply about cooking.

And yeah, I don't think it's that easy to avoid gaining weight when eating out all the time either. Especially if you're visiting with people who are not very active in the first place.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Sorry, I sympathize. I've gained 2 pounds every time in 10 days of vacation from eating out, so yeah, you can expect to gain some weight (I mean, I gained more, but the rest was water weight, 2 pounds is what stuck after a week).

But you know what to do.. baked, grilled, sauce/dressing/condiments on the side, veggies, avoid fried stuff, practice moderation for pasta/rice etc... don't drink your calories... Don't order dessert unless it's something you REALLY want. But even then, it's not always easy, in my last vacation I just gave up trying to find places with healthy options after 3 frustrating days, and just tried to do my best, but it gets boring VERY fast. I could only find side salads instead of fries in most places and I just got so sick of salads...

Definitely follow your appetite, if you have a big lunch, have a light dinner. Have a light breakfast if you can (I can't, I need a big breakfast, which is probably why it was harder for me too). Eat until you're not hungry anymore, slowly, and don't make yourself finish your plate.

The positive part for me was that it wasn't convenient for me to snack at least, so I just ate at meals.

It's still vacations though so if there's something you really want, go for it. I think I had three meals where I ate whatever I wanted, and one of those times I ended up eating at maintenance anyway because I was too full for dinner (I like big meals at lunch, personally).

Of course you could afford to cook, if it's possible, but in your situation last year I was not comfortable to do that (didn't want them to feel uncomfortable by me insinuating that they eat out too much etc).

ETA: just read your reply about cooking.

And yeah, I don't think it's that easy to avoid gaining weight when eating out all the time either. Especially if you're visiting with people who are not very active in the first place.

I'm glad snacking wasn't a problem for you, around that time of year my sister's family keeps this huge tray of treats out in the open all the time, so I have to practice self control around that stuff too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Did you gain fat on your last vacation or just water weight? I went on vacation last year for a week. I ate out every meal and didn't log but I walked a lot. I gained 4 pounds. Within three days I had lost it. It was water weight.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Did you gain fat on your last vacation or just water weight? I went on vacation last year for a week. I ate out every meal and didn't log but I walked a lot. I gained 4 pounds. Within three days I had lost it. It was water weight.

No I gained an actual 6lb. With some water weight that eventually went down.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

So you gained 6 pounds plus water weight or including water weight? If it was 6 pounds plus water weight, you ate 1000 calories over maintenance per day. You should be able to estimate your portions a lot better than a 1000 calorie variance indicates.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

So you gained 6 pounds plus water weight or including water weight? If it was 6 pounds plus water weight, you ate 1000 calories over maintenance per day. You should be able to estimate your portions a lot better than a 1000 calorie variance indicates.

This
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Why do vacations = overeating? If you burn more calories than you eat, then you'll lose. You're not working, so there is plenty of time to exercise to work those calories off. Go swimming, take a hike, walk around town, depending upon your vacation destination. I love vacations because I almost always end up losing a couple of pounds.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options

This

Well yeah, considering my maintenance is only 1600, eating out at restaurants 3 times a day for 2 weeks I guess it's not that hard to go over by that much.
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    It's okay. Guess I'll just lose it again afterward. I'm just not sure if losing the same weight every year is all that good for ones body.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation a few weeks ago and I enjoyed myself, yea I gained a few pounds but was fine with that and now back on the wagon to my goal weight. For me if I make it all about losing and no fun, then I will more than likely give up. You gotta do what works for you, good luck!
  • ForestFairy022
    Options
    Why do vacations = overeating? If you burn more calories than you eat, then you'll lose. You're not working, so there is plenty of time to exercise to work those calories off. Go swimming, take a hike, walk around town, depending upon your vacation destination. I love vacations because I almost always end up losing a couple of pounds.

Wasn't helping much. It's the beach, you can't NOT do a lot of walking. :wink: but I walk long distances every day of my life. I don't burn as much as I used to.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

This

Well yeah, considering my maintenance is only 1600, eating out at restaurants 3 times a day for 2 weeks I guess it's not that hard to go over by that much.
    I think what he meant was that it should be pretty obvious to you that you're eating 60% more than usual.

Maybe don't eat all three times. A big breakfast and a big dinner may be able to cover not eating lunch, for example.