How much protein? How much carbs?

Options
Hey

I'm just wondering what gram of protein people recommend to have per day to boost weight loss and what restriction on simple carbs?

Replies

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    .8-1g protein / LBM.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you. Concentrate on calories and exercise instead.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you. Concentrate on calories and exercise instead.

Disagree with this, MFP tells me to eat far too few protein grams. Research (Paper here and analysis of the research Here) suggests about .8g / lb of body weight (I personally do 1g / lb of lean body mass (LBM)) of protein.

When losing weight eating enough protein is critical to maintain as much as lean body mass while losing the greatest percentage of fat in your weight loss.

As far as carbs, eat as many as you are allowed in your caloric deficit while getting at least .8g/lb of body weight of protein and what I have seen is at least .45g/lb of fat (but I'm really don't know the research on this number, maybe someone else can give details on the the right amount of fat). Basically the point is get enough protein and fat and then you can fill the rest with pretty much whatever you want , there is no need to carb restrict beyond minimum protein and fat levels.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've seen 0.7 to 1.0g / lb too, with very active people at the higher end. I eat roughly 25% of my food as protein which works out to about 90g of protein per day.

There is no minimum essential amount of carbs needed in a diet so this macro varies the most. It appears the majority of people around here eat 40-50% carbs with some people going higher (60-65%) and some going lower (I'm at about 5%). Just use it to fill in what is left after you have appropriate protein and fat (usually 20-35%) all set.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    30+ years of scientific research supports that there is no benefit of eating more than 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight, even in bodybuilders.
    • Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
    • Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
    • Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
    • Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

The consensus is that a range of 0.60 to 0.80 grams Protein per 1 lb. bodyweight is a good goal for active individuals. Dietary Fat is suggested at a minimum of 0.40 to 0.45 grams Fat per 1 lb. bodyweight for active individuals. The obese and inactive crowd have lower requirements for both of these macros.

Carbs are not required, however, from a nutrition standpoint, it is recommended to eat a rich variety of whole minimally processed carbs and foods high in fiber.

Hitting your macros do not really speed up weight loss per se; Rather, weight loss is about eating a caloric deficit of total calories and keep your activity level high. Very simple.
  • beatua1
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Hitting your macros do not really speed up weight loss per se; Rather, weight loss is about eating a caloric deficit of total calories and keep your activity level high. Very simple.

This is true, but if you want the weight you lose to be as much fat as possible then eating the proper amount of protein makes it easier.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options
    beatua1 wrote: »

This is true, but if you want the weight you lose to be as much fat as possible then eating the proper amount of protein makes it easier.

In terms of satiation, yes. Protein is the most satiating macronutrient so eating 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight will keep you fuller for longer. This goal is rather easy, and with a rational diet, anyone should be able to get it purely from food.

If a person predominates their diet with whole minimally processed foods (not processed cakes, cookies, chips, TV dinners, fast food, etc) then that can be really helpful when it comes to composing a rational long-term diet.
  • our_ayley
    our_ayley Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) appreciate your help xx
  • beatua1
    Options

In terms of satiation, yes. Protein is the most satiating macronutrient so eating 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight will keep you fuller for longer. This goal is rather easy, and with a rational diet, anyone should be able to get it purely from food.

If a person predominates their diet with whole minimally processed foods (not processed cakes, cookies, chips, TV dinners, fast food, etc) then that can be really helpful when it comes to composing a rational long-term diet.

I think I communicated poorly. What I was trying to say was that a person dieting who does not eat enough protein is likely to lose more lean body mass (instead of fat mass) than if that person were to eat enough protein. I'm not speaking of satiation or ease of dieting.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options

What I was trying to say was that a person dieting who does not eat enough protein is likely to lose more lean body mass (instead of fat mass) than if that person were to eat enough protein.

If a person is not focused on new muscle synthesis via exercise/lifting weights, then consuming a ton of protein will not benefit them.

Lean body mass a.k.a. "muscle" will not wither away for a sedentary 150 lb. female if she chooses to consume 70-90 grams protein per day vs. 120-150 grams protein per day. The latter is overkill for that individual and she simply would not need to consume the higher range as it pertains to weight loss or muscle loss prevention.
  • beatua1
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What I was trying to say was that a person dieting who does not eat enough protein is likely to lose more lean body mass (instead of fat mass) than if that person were to eat enough protein.

If a person is not focused on new muscle synthesis via exercise/lifting weights, then consuming a ton of protein will not benefit them.

Lean body mass a.k.a. "muscle" will not wither away for a sedentary 150 lb. female if she chooses to consume 70-90 grams protein per day vs. 120-150 grams protein per day. The latter is overkill for that individual and she simply would not need to consume the higher range as it pertains to weight loss or muscle loss prevention.

I disagree, my conclusion is based on the conclusions of the authors of the paper I cited (Link Here) which were:

"Elevated protein consumption, as high as 1.8-2.0 g · kg(-1) · day(-1) depending on the caloric deficit, may be advantageous in preventing lean mass losses during periods of energy restriction to promote fat loss."

The paper goes into much more detail on this.

Also you mentioned it yourself in your first post:
    Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

The point is eating enough protein while losing weight is proven to help decrease total lean mass loss and increase fat loss.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I disagree, my conclusion is based on the conclusions of the authors of the paper I cited (Link Here) which were:

"Elevated protein consumption, as high as 1.8-2.0 g · kg(-1) · day(-1) depending on the caloric deficit, may be advantageous in preventing lean mass losses during periods of energy restriction to promote fat loss."

The paper goes into much more detail on this.

Also you mentioned it yourself in your first post:
    Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

You do know the results of these studies are not based on sedentary subjects, right? "Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period."

And directly from the link you posted, "Athletes seeking to gain muscle mass and strength are likely to consume higher amounts of dietary protein than their endurance-trained counterparts."
    The point is eating enough protein while losing weight is proven to help decrease total lean mass loss and increase fat loss.

That all depends on the crowd. Like I said, a 150 lb. sedentary female would not need to consume what you consider to be "enough" protein in order to preserve her lean body mass. There is no drastic new muscle synthesis happening for a person like this so consuming a ton of protein is not doing anything for their LBM.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    our_ayley wrote: »
    Hey

I'm just wondering what gram of protein people recommend to have per day to boost weight loss and what restriction on simple carbs?

protein doesn't really boost weight loss...having a diet that is higher in protein may increase your TEF somewhat, but it's pretty insignificant.

the importance of protein while dieting isn't boosting weight loss, it is preservation of lean mass.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's helpful but I just treat the number mfp gives me as a min for protein. I find its a nice general thing if you don't know your lean body mass. If you feel mfp number is too small (think it's 20%) then increase the%.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    .8-1g protein / LBM.

+1
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    30+ years of scientific research supports that there is no benefit of eating more than 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight, even in bodybuilders.
    • Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.
    • Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.
    • Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.
    • Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

The consensus is that a range of 0.60 to 0.80 grams Protein per 1 lb. bodyweight is a good goal for active individuals. Dietary Fat is suggested at a minimum of 0.40 to 0.45 grams Fat per 1 lb. bodyweight for active individuals. The obese and inactive crowd have lower requirements for both of these macros.

Carbs are not required, however, from a nutrition standpoint, it is recommended to eat a rich variety of whole minimally processed carbs and foods high in fiber.

Could be a typo on your part as far as grams per lb of BODYWEIGHT.. but no you do not need to feed anything other than LBM.. no need to feed fat mass protein..
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Personally I aim for 1g per pound of lean body mass.

This number seems to fall in around all the different suggested numbers. Or exceeds them. I would rather be a little higher than lower.
  • sixxpoint
    edited August 2015
    Options

Could be a typo on your part as far as grams per lb of BODYWEIGHT.. but no you do not need to feed anything other than LBM.. no need to feed fat mass protein..

No typo. 0.60 to 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. Bodyweight is accurate. It will be just as accurate, if not identical to the 0.80 to 1.00 gram LBM formula.

These studies often use different units of measurement, whether grams/kilograms/lbs/bodyweight, but the results are always the same.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

No typo. 0.60 to 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. Bodyweight is accurate. It will be just as accurate, if not identical to the 0.80 to 1.00 gram LBM formula.

These studies often use different units of measurement, whether grams/kilograms/lbs/bodyweight, but the results are always the same.

I think the results are the same for lower body fat % people.

Lbm x 1g vs weight x .8
    Lbm of 154 x 1g is 154g
    Weight 154 lbm + 88 fat = 242 x .8 is 193g that's 36% body fat.

So talking to athletes and gym junkies it probably doesn't matter but on a weightloss site where people are losing 10-150 pounds it probably has an impact which formula to use.

I vote 1g per lb of lbm.