Strength Training that Compliments Swimming

Options
My number one fitness goal right now is to become a stronger, faster swimmer while avoiding injury. I have access to coached swimming practices, but I know weight training is also an important part of reaching my goal. Unfortunately, when I research weight routines for swimmers, they include quite a few exercises I am physically incapable of doing due to a mobility issue/chronic pain in my foot that keeps me from weight-bearing exercise while standing. I can't even carry free weights to a bench so I can do free-weight presses. I am completely reliant on machines that do not engage or put weight on my foot. That means no squats or leg presses, unfortunately.

I feel like my routine as is, which is somewhat haphazard, does not engage my core enough. My back and arms are getting stronger, as are my hamstrings, but my theory is that my abs are lagging behind because all of my exercises are seated. I'm going to add planks to my routine to try and balance my back and ab gains a bit, but I am in need of other ab-strengthening ideas.

Beyond that, I am open to any suggestions. If there's any exercise at all -- with or without a machine -- you can think of that is good for a swimmer to practice and doesn't involve standing or pushing with the feet, I would love your suggestions as I put together a more thoughtful weight routine.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've had great luck with The Anatomy of Swimming by Ian McLeod. http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/swimming-anatomy

There are many body weight exercises for core that he recommends that would be easy on your foot. Hollow body holds and V-Ups (google for more in depth info) are especially conducive to strengthening the core. I want to point out though that planks definitely use your feet. I'm not sure how bad your injury is, but with a sprained ankle, I had major trouble doing a plank.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For the abs, try knee raises / leg raises. They're awesome! A beginner can do them lying on the back, and a stronger person can do them hanging from a bar.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The plank is more for endurance than strength. My vote is with the ab wheel. It gives one of the highest levels of activation for all the ab muscles, plus it integrates your upper back and arms (like swimming does). Here's how to do it correctly:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=HcZG9NqH7SE

Make sure to work your spinal muscles too, perhaps with a back extension bench while holding a plate against your chest. Most machines only work the lower back, not the rest of the spine.

You probably should list the rest of your routine, since you don't seem certain that it's balanced. :+1:
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and links. I'll check them out in a sec.

To answer questions:

I can usually do a plank if I'm having a decent ankle day, but I haven't done one other than the shorter ones during yoga since before the injury, so it's entirely possible I won't be able to do one for long. We'll see. I can't do side planks (or, rather, I can only do them on one side, and that's probably not a good idea). I can do most Pilates and Yoga moves, but have to modify or skip some. I can't walk far, carry much, or do things that require me to bend my ankle frequently (like a rowing machine). I actually have to be careful with ankle movement when swimming, too.

My current weight routine isn't planned out, but I usually do these machines, an equal number of sets (3) and reps (8-10) each:
    chest press
    shoulder press
    lat pull down
    seated hamstring

Sometimes I do:
    abductor
    adductor

I want to add (maybe):
    assisted pullups and dips

The back extension sounds like a good idea; I completely forgot about those, but I've done them before. I'll have to get some help to do more than a little weight with it, though (that darn carrying limitation!).

Thanks again!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    If you go into any full service gym - all the machines except for the leg press can be used to build your body without engaging your feet.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    My current weight routine isn't planned out, but I usually do these machines, an equal number of sets (3) and reps (8-10) each:
    chest press
    shoulder press
    lat pull down
    seated hamstring

Sometimes I do:
    abductor
    adductor

I want to add (maybe):
    assisted pullups and dips

The back extension sounds like a good idea; I completely forgot about those, but I've done them before. I'll have to get some help to do more than a little weight with it, though (that darn carrying limitation!).

For the back extension, try wearing a weighted backpack on your chest (or back).
    I'd do the seated row machine, to balance the chest press (horizontal pulling vs. pushing). Might need to find a machine with a chest pad, to keep weight off the feet.
    The leg extension machine balances the leg curl. It shouldn't hurt your knees, but if it does, skip it.
    The front & side shoulder raise is good for swimming. :+1:

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks!