Scale recommendations? Fitbit Aria?

Options
I've been using a cheap Taylor Weight Watchers brand scale since my old scale broke. My old scale used to show me a different weight every day, even if it was only .2 pounds different. It felt more accurate and definitely more motivating whether it went up or down. It broke which is why I got the cheap new one. The new scale shows me the same exact weight almost no matter what. Seems like it's just remembering my weight from the last time and doesn't change unless I've lost something significant like more than a pound. I'm thinking about getting the Fitbit aria scale, since I'm a faithful Fitbit user. If you have an opinion is love to hear it! Yay or nay and why?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'd never spend that much on a scale when it's so easy to update weight in the Fitbit app, personally.

Remember that most of the fancy functions aren't actually that reliable, anyway (measuring body fat, bone density etc....the scale can be totally off depending on how hydrated you are, for example, or if your feet are damp, or a bunch of other reasons) unless you're mostly just using them to look for a downward trend, so spending a lot to get them isn't really logical.

I have the Weight Watchers brand scale that allegedly measures that stuff too and it's totally fine and was much less expensive. But if it's on a flat, level surface and the batteries aren't low, I really don't think it matters that much what kind you get.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Magenta529 wrote: »
    I've been using a cheap Taylor Weight Watchers brand scale since my old scale broke. My old scale used to show me a different weight every day, even if it was only .2 pounds different. It felt more accurate and definitely more motivating whether it went up or down. It broke which is why I got the cheap new one. The new scale shows me the same exact weight almost no matter what. Seems like it's just remembering my weight from the last time and doesn't change unless I've lost something significant like more than a pound. I'm thinking about getting the Fitbit aria scale, since I'm a faithful Fitbit user. If you have an opinion is love to hear it! Yay or nay and why?

Some digital scales are programmed to show the same weight unless it goes outside of a certain range. Mine is like this. I reset it daily by grabbing the giant bottle of Listerine in my bathroom, weighing myself with it, and then weighing myself without it. Then I get a different weight each day (if my weight has actually changed, which is usually does).

Cheaper than a new scale, may be worth a try if all you want is just to see any change in your weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Aria wifi scale for two years. For me, it was totally worth the price to never have to log my weight. I weigh every morning, and it sends my weight to Fitbit, MFP, UP & Trendweight. Plus, it comes in black.

The bodyfat percentage is useless, though. It sends a pulse up one leg and down the other, then guesstimates your upper body. And it gets thrown off by how hydrated you are.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria, and for me it's totally worth it because of the auto-logging function. Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a morning person. That's an understatement. I weigh myself as soon as I wake up, and I am so completely dysfunctional in the morning it is honestly a struggle sometimes to make coffee. With my old scale, I would often forget to log in my weight, and since I am a mess in the morning, I literally could not remember what my weight was. I'd have to go re-weigh myself, and then it would be after eating and drinking and so it was never a consistent thing.

If you wake up alert and with enough energy to log on to your account, this isn't an issue for you, but for me the struggle is very real. I've enjoyed using trendweight as well, so I don't freak out over daily fluctuations and can instead look at the general trend of weightloss.

I will say the body fat % from the Aria is laughably wrong. It's not bad for general tracking (generally up or generally down) but the numbers it gives me are just plain crazy sometimes.
  • Magenta529
    Magenta529 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I like the idea of not spending money and trying the listerine bottle trick! Logging my weight isnt a problem, I just hate that it never changes until I lose 2 pounds.

I would be interested in the body fat percentage but sounds like it's not accurate and not worth the money.

Thanks everyone!!
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I've had a Fitbit Aria wifi scale for two years. For me, it was totally worth the price to never have to log my weight. I weigh every morning, and it sends my weight to Fitbit, MFP, UP & Trendweight. Plus, it comes in black.

The bodyfat percentage is useless, though. It sends a pulse up one leg and down the other, then guesstimates your upper body. And it gets thrown off by how hydrated you are.

I agree completely. I have had mine for about a year, and the fact that it logs my weight every day is absolutely worth every penny I spent on it. The body fat % is useless though.