carb cycling..no negative comments plz

Options
nae7690
nae7690 Posts: 29 Member
I watch extreme weight loss and i know chris poweel is big on carb cycling.and uses that for his contestants on the show..so i read up on it thpught id give it a try to day is my first day..has anyone else tried this if so menu plans is always welcome :-)

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've never quite understood it as you have some days that have very high carb intake and others are very low, so why not just eat them moderately across the board. Confusing :s
  • brimin101
    brimin101 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've personally never tried it, but I know people preparing for bodybuilding shows when they get down to low, low carbs, usually <150g, they cycle. The basis of the idea make sense especially since everyone loves carbs and you can enjoy your diet more on the high carb days!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You could run a board search on "carb cycling" and that way you wouldn't have the negative comments.

That said I wouldn't take diet advice from a tv show called extreme weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    I've never quite understood it as you have some days that have very high carb intake and others are very low, so why not just eat them moderately across the board. Confusing :s

Ya, I think I could get used to low carb over time but cycling would be difficult and unpleasant for me. Reducing baked goods and added sugars worked well for me to create a calorie deficit and increase energy.

• SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just started a 12 week fitness program from a personal trainer this week and they have me doing carb cycling. I've only been doing it for 2 days though so I can't really say much about whether it's successful or not haha. But so far, so good!
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Provided your doing some sort of cardio especially on the high carb days it might work for you. And it depends how many grams of carbs your having on your higher days and if their good or bad carbs. Fruits, oatmeal, Brown rice, those kind of carbs are good. Stay away from fast digesting carbs like white pasta, dry cereal, white rice and deserts like cake otherwise your defeating the purpose of trying to lose weight. You could try something like:

Day 1: 150 grams
    Day 2: 100 grams
    Day 3: 50 grams
    Day 4: 125 grams
    Day 5: 200 grams

Then keep repeating that. If it's not working for you then try something different. I lost close to 25 pounds to my goal weight by eating 1700 calories a day including carbs, protein, fat and so forth, 6 days a week and having one cheat day a week. Now having said that, on my cheat day I don't go insane and intake a tremendous amount of calories but a little more than I would the other days. I keep up my cardio 5-6 days a week and it works for me. Some people don't like cheat days and just include their favorite foods on a daily basis but everyone's different. And the problem with these weight loss shows is most of the people gain their weight back because it's not realistic to keep doing what their doing on the show. That's why you have to find what works for you so you can continue it. Good luck.
  • nae7690
    nae7690 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Keto Cycling is very effective. I use it whenever I want to appear more defined. But I've always found it to be a temporary fix. If you're pretty close to your bodyfat % goals, then I highly recommend. If you're simply trying to lose weight and are still far, I recommend you stick with traditional calorie deficits.

I know this is more than you asked. I'm sure you could find the scientific answer if you googled so I'm assuming you're asking for opinions from people that have tried it.

Yes :-)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Vemma by Bode has some sample meal plans. I never bought the products but the plans give you a good place to start. I did lose some weight when I did it and basically learned to eat lower carb in general. The "high" carb days aren't very high carb it is just that it is more carbs than the low carb days.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Both Chris and Heidi Powell have websites that mention a lot about carb cycling. I'm preparing to start the Classic Carb Cycle regime on 8/24. (By preparing I mean shopping and putting together menus for the coming weeks.) My problem is determining the amounts of carbs proteins and fats to eat on different days. I've found a few cycling calculators online but I'm still feeling a bit uneasy about the information. I'm considering buying CP's book "Choose to Lose" but was wondering if anyone else had already purchased it and what their thoughts are.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have nothing negative to say about it. Just realize that if you account for calories across the spectrum of say a week's time and your deficit is the same between carb cycling and eating on a more balanced pattern everyday (taking into account the same amount of protein for both options), then there will be hardly, if any difference between the two in regards to weight lost.
    If workouts are timed around carb intake, its a diet protocol you can adhere to even with the added complexity, and it creates the caloric deficit needed for weight loss, then it might be the way to go, for sure. Just don't let anyone delude you into thinking that has some other special properties to it that makes you lose weight more or faster than any other diet with the same caloric deficit (again assuming calories and protein intakes are equal across time).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    I tired it in the past but did not like it. I found it too rigid to follow. Report back though and let us know how it turns out...
  • cpoty11
    cpoty11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've never cycled. But I have done low carb. <30g a day. I lost a ton of weight in a super short time. But it's not sustainable and it will crash your metabolism. I've thought about cycling but just haven't got around to it. I've read Powells book and it's a good read. But I like him as a fitness trainer so I'm a little biased.

The science is that when you deplete your body of carbs it will switch to fat as the primary energy source. But with that you may become sluggish, your athletic performance will start to lack it's punch and your metabolism will crash. (Not saying this happens to all people but the majority I have read and heard about).

That's why people cycle. Mainly to attack body fat while trying to preserve muscle.

Low carb days you deplete your stores and get to using fat at the primary energy source.

The carb re feeds will refill your glyogen stores and give you a boost so you can get it done in the gym. Also it kicks the cravings. Plus it keeps your metabolism guessing.

But I agree with non_stop, if your not within a couple percent of your ideal body fat percentage or prepping for a show, I would just stick to learning how to eat properly for long term sustainability. It's time consuming and when you have a lot of weight to lose, the calorie deficit matters most.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a some conflicting views so maybe high carb/low carb results vary from person to person.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    nae7690 wrote: »
    I watch extreme weight loss and i know chris poweel is big on carb cycling.and uses that for his contestants on the show..so i read up on it thpught id give it a try to day is my first day..has anyone else tried this if so menu plans is always welcome :-)

I don't think the no negative comments part is necessary. No one wants negative comments but people just love to leave them anyway.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is my first week of carb cycling. I found a book on Amazon ($2.99) and purchased it just for added insight. There is enough information online to get you started and then you can branch out from there. Tomorrow I will step on the scale (5th day of cycling) but for now I can say I feel somewhat lighter and have noticed some minor but positive changes. The biggest challenge for me is actually eating enough protein without adding in too many carbs or healthy fats.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »

I don't think the no negative comments part is necessary. No one wants negative comments but people just love to leave them anyway.
    People have differing opinions...
  • Tracy2162
    Tracy2162 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been using Chris Powells carb cycling program for a month now. I'm using the turbo cycle and have lost 11 pounds and 10 inches. I feel amazing and my energy has increased. I highly recommend carb cycling
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Yes they do, and quite often they feel theirs must trump someone else's, and that's when it turns negative....every day on here it seems...almost like a fitter version of FB..lol
  • J72FIT
    Options

Yes they do, and quite often they feel theirs must trump someone else's, and that's when it turns negative....every day on here it seems...almost like a fitter version of FB..lol
    Yeah... Politics, religion and diet, three areas to stay away from ;)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

Yeah... Politics, religion and diet, three areas to stay away from ;)

I'm with you!