Calories per day to lose 2-3 pounds per week?

Hi everyone! I know this is a very basic question, but I am trying to find out how to accurately calculate how many calories to eat per day to lose 2-3 pounds per week...I googled calculators, but they vary so widely. I have been cheating on a low-carb diet forever. I'm tired of the cycle and want off. I don't want to "diet" anymore, but want to be slim, strong, and healthy!! Please help and thanks in advance!

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition and have to limit carbs, stop. I lost my weight while consuming anything I wanted to eat while maintaining a calorie deficit. Seriously, if you've been "cheating on a low-carb diet forever" why continue to bang your head against a wall?

Set MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. Log accurately. Use the recipe builder. Eat at least half of your exercise calories. Results will follow.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    1000-1500 per day LESS than what you were eating. A deficit of 500 per day = 3500 per week = 1 pound.

This size of deficit is possible only at the outset and only for those who have about 100+ to lose.