fitbit adjustment

ok say for instance you say in your setting that you are lightly active lifestyle. you then start wearing a fitness tracker that say counts 6000 steps in that working day. why then would you get extra calories in your dally allowence for the full 6000 steps. its almost like your getting the allowence twice.

Replies

• katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Yes, I never eat extra due to a Fitbit correction. It is, as you said, part of your daily routine.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Have you enabled negative adjustments?
  • johnhall647
    johnhall647 Posts: 6 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    Have you enabled negative adjustments?

Does that make a difference, the way I read it, it's just when Fitbits calculations are less than myfitnesspals!!!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited August 2015
    Nope. Negative adjustments allow your calories to be reduced when you have not kept up with your reported activity levels. For example if you put you're lightly active so Fitbit allows you to have an extra 250 calories to eat via MFP, if you are actually sedentary that day, Fitbit will let MFP know that via adjustments and you actually won't get many extra calories to eat, if at all. Negative adjustments give Fitbit the permission to deduct calories.

I put my level as sedentary and enable negative adjustments and let Fitbit do its thing. I eat my base cals and if I'm hungry I eat back up to 50% of my extra calories I earned via exercise; I usually don't exceed 25% though. I don't log exercise via MFP, I let my Charge HR report everything. It works like a charm for me.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Because MFP is reading your Fitbit burn and estimating that you'll burn more than maintenance
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    synacious wrote: »
    Nope. Negative adjustments allow your calories to be reduced when you have not kept up with your reported activity levels. For example if you put you're lightly active so Fitbit allows you to have an extra 250 calories to eat via MFP, if you are actually sedentary that day, Fitbit will let MFP know that via adjustments and you actually won't get many extra calories to eat, if at all. Negative adjustments give Fitbit the permission to deduct calories.

I put my level as sedentary and enable negative adjustments and let Fitbit do its thing. I eat my base cals and if I'm hungry I eat back up to 50% of my extra calories I earned via exercise; I usually don't exceed 25% though. I don't log exercise via MFP, I let my Charge HR report everything. It works like a charm for me.

+1 Great response. This is exactly what I do as well! Works well for me.
  • johnhall647
    Wow thanks, does anyone know how many steps this would give me before I got extra allowance???
  • johnhall647
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    It takes me about 2200 steps before I break even. But ymmv

whats ymmv?
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Where do we select "negative adjustments" ? It used to be (I think) on the Diary Settings tab but not anymore... not anywhere I can see it at least...
  • Ruatine
    edited August 2015
    @johnhall647 "Your Mileage May Vary" - in other words it may be more or less than 2200 steps for you.

It's about 2200-2400 for me depending on how intense those steps were. If I was walking up stairs for a chunk, for instance, it would be close to 2200, but if it was all pretty much flat, it would be closer to 2400.

ETA: @DoreenaV1975 From a browser (not the app), click on Food then Settings.
  • DoreenaV1975
    I tried it on both the app and the web... I don't see it there any more... again, unless I'm just missing it, it seems to have disappeared over the weekend. It was there earlier last week because I turned it on and then I was having issues w/ "Map My Fitness" and wanted to turn it off until I fixed the issues and I couldn't find it to turn it off.
    @Ruatine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • johnhall647
    I tried it on both the app and the web... I don't see it there any more... again, unless I'm just missing it, it seems to have disappeared over the weekend. It was there earlier last week because I turned it on and then I was having issues w/ "Map My Fitness" and wanted to turn it off until I fixed the issues and I couldn't find it to turn it off.
    @Ruatine

i just found it in the setting bit in the food part.
  • DoreenaV1975
    @Ruatine

i just found it in the setting bit in the food part.

@johnhall647 That's how I got to the page I linked:
    clicked on "Food" then "Settings" and it took me to "Diary Settings"
  • Ruatine
    edited August 2015
    @DoreenaV1975 I had so many issues when I tried to link both Fitbit and Map My Fitness to MFP. It was as if MFP was trying to use MMF as the primary activity tracker rather than Fitbit. I ended up have to remove both and then redo the Fitbit sync by itself.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Oh, never mind guys! I just realized why I probably can't see it!!!! I unlinked my Map My Fitness so now there is no reason for MFP to give me the option of "negative calories"!

When I get my Fit Bit, should be coming any day now, and link it, it will probably appear again!

OMG I'm such a dork!!!!!
    Sorry to bother you and waste your time! LOL!
    :s

@Ruatine @johnhall647
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    ok say for instance you say in your setting that you are lightly active lifestyle. you then start wearing a fitness tracker that say counts 6000 steps in that working day. why then would you get extra calories in your dally allowence for the full 6000 steps. its almost like your getting the allowence twice.

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your tracker burn and your activity level. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then MFP adjusts your calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

With negative calorie adjustments disabled, you never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level. (But negative adjustments never put your calories below 1,200.)
  • DoreenaV1975
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your tracker burn and your activity level. If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments, then MFP adjusts your calorie goal to TDEE minus deficit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

@editorgrrl Yeah I figured that out before you posted your response... Hahahahaha! I was having an airhead moment! To be fair to myself, I came down w/ a cold last night so I'm not feeling 100% today!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    @DoreenaV1975 I had so many issues when I tried to link both Fitbit and Map My Fitness to MFP.

Sync MapMy to Fitbit—not to MFP. That way, MapMy sends your info to Fitbit, Fitbit sends your TDEE to MFP, and MFP adjusts your calories accordingly.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • johnhall647
    Thanks for all your help guys, by the way am loving my Fitbit charge HR. Great piece of kit.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Thanks for all your help guys, by the way am loving my Fitbit charge HR. Great piece of kit.

How is charging the Fitbit Charge HR? I have a Flex and I might want to upgrade around Christmas. The Flex is a big PITA to charge as the darn thing doesn't want to stay connected. I see that this is a big problem with the Flex.