Caloric intake vs nutritional ratios

Okay so I have a question. I've been following some ratios that many other dieters I know have been following to maintain or loose weight. They say I should eat 50% fat, 30% protein and 20% carbohydrates. I'm a vegetarian so due to this ratio iv noticed that iv been taking in a lot more protein than I usually do. But that's not the point. The thing I'm confused about is sometimes I don't follow the ratio properly and have reached my limit of caloric intake. Is it important to make my ratios equal or to make sure I don't go above my caloric limit? My goal was to maintain my weight but I am now trying to loose weight and I do excercise 5 days a week.

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Calories are first when it comes to your weight. Do your best to hit macros for health reasons (or personal preference). Stay within your allotted calories to lose (and maintain) weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Always eat just under or right up to your calorie goal.
    Eat protein.
    In general, vegetarians eat more carbs than other folks so maybe do not stress too much about macros but do eat some fat/oils.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    If you don't go over your macros you won't go over your calorie goal. Those percentages, and grams they come out to, will have you hit your calorie limit you set unless your percentages go over 100%. Yours don't.

If you go over in one then you won't be able to hit your goals in others. That's obvious, unless you log your exercise and want to eat back your calories.. Or just go over your limit. That won't have you lose weight though. It's not a big deal if you go over the macros every so often in one category over another. If you do it all the time then the ratios need to be adjusted or your diet does