Motivation for exercise

Options
I've wasted money on unused gym memberships, personal trainer, equipment hire but please could u let me know where I can buy motivation?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You can't buy it. You either have it or you don't. When it fitness/health becomes a TOTAL PRIORITY to you, and you let no deterrence, obstacles, or non supportive people sway you..................then you have your motivation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanku ninerbuff u are so right. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wasted money. I wish I could buy motivation.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We all go through times like this. Keep believing this is temporary! You will get out of this slump like you did before. A couple of things that work for me under these circumstances: 1. choose an exercise that works well for you, one that you truly enjoy (mine is running and elliptical); 2. buy an exercise machine you like (mine is a really good elliptical), one that you can use at home--I bought it because I was paying crazy amounts to gyms I never used, 3. use the machine in increments, a five-minute workout is five minutes more of a workout, it counts--that's what I did initially, walk a bit longer (a minute here or there), step on the machine anytime I could, even for a few minutes, etc., 4. most importantly, believe, truly believe, there are no other choices, it's not a luxury, it's not a choice, it's something you need to do like everything else you prioritize--tell that to yourself, repeat it often, write it on pieces of paper and hang them all over your place, etc. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    jafa_bunz wrote: »
    Thanku ninerbuff u are so right. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wasted money. I wish I could buy motivation.
    Intention is one thing and so is desire. No one can really motivate anyone. You can be inspired and encouraged, but again all that means nothing unless it's a priority for you. Most people lack motivation because they fear failure. So your plan should be one where you'll make small successes (however little they may seem) along the way. That builds confidence and it's much easier to continue if one sees success.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Buying a fitbit motivated the the shite out of me! I went from very sedentary to very active. Plus it helps to join challenges where the participants have crazy high step goals.

I wouldn't even bother getting a gym membership, as for me it would be a waste of money as I'd hardly ever go.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jafa_bunz wrote: »
    Intention is one thing and so is desire. No one can really motivate anyone. You can be inspired and encouraged, but again all that means nothing unless it's a priority for you. Most people lack motivation because they fear failure. So your plan should be one where you'll make small successes (however little they may seem) along the way. That builds confidence and it's much easier to continue if one sees success.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well said.

• LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Logging onto MFP motivates me. Seeing in black and white what I was eating has really made me be conscious of what I put into my one and only body! I thought I was eating a healthy and balanced diet but it was not so---way too many carbs and not enough protein. It also motivates me to look at the graphs to see how active I am. I promised myself to log in everything-no matter what. The best exercise is the one you do (not an original thought but a paraphrase of something I read). Just get started. Do something-anything-other than sit on the couch and watch tv. You will feel so much better!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Find things that motivate you......

Absolutely killing it in a slinky dress was one of mine.

I also wanted to be able to do all the things my grandson wanted me to. This includes throwing a 5 yr old up in the air.

Being able to build my own patio and arbour, not depend on others.

I want to get old with attitude, not a walker.

.......then commit.

Find your motivators, and make the commitment.
    MFP is here, and it will support you.

Cheers, h.
  • coco_bee
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your very informative, helpful and encouraging comments, your opinions and support. I will take on board all that is said and follow your advice - thank you! I do feel a bit more motivated now :)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @jafa_bunz You've got 54 pounds to go according to your profile. For me seeing my number (at the start it was 105 pounds to go) was motivation enough. I was 53 then (still am) and am already down 78 pounds.

Is that not motivating enough? You could be at your goal within a year. Less than a year if you work hard at it, and - bonus - you'll be far fitter and healthier months before you get to your "goal weight" thanks to whatever exercise / diet / fitness regimen you adopt.

Just get on with it.

PS: You might like gyms and memberships and if so all power to you but you don't need to spend money to find ways to exercise. I've spent 0$ on regular fees - the only money I've spent on fitness is a few dollars here and there for new shoes and some running clothes. Money does not equal motivation.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I go to gym classes I absolutely love and are so much fun!
    I'm sad when I don't go.

Finding a form of exercise you truly enjoy can make it so much easier. It doesn't have to be in a gym either.
    Walking, running, biking, trampoline jumping, kayaking, roller blading, surfing, swimming, dance classes, etc.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Motivation generally comes in two sorts;
    • Extrinsic - which is governed by gaining external rewards or avoiding punishment - so gaining people's approval by looking good, winning medals or trophies, avoiding social stigma
    • Intrinsic - which is governed by internal enjoyment, the challenge, the love of acquiring a new skill and so on

Both can be good sources of motivation and sometimes you get a mix of the two. The key is finding what makes you tick and you feel pushes your button and tapping into that.

That said, intrinsic motivation tends to secure an interest in something over a longer time frame as it is more within your control and not so dependent on external forces.
  • michelleellis
    michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    snha wrote: »
    We all go through times like this. Keep believing this is temporary! You will get out of this slump like you did before. A couple of things that work for me under these circumstances: 1. choose an exercise that works well for you, one that you truly enjoy (mine is running and elliptical); 2. buy an exercise machine you like (mine is a really good elliptical), one that you can use at home--I bought it because I was paying crazy amounts to gyms I never used, 3. use the machine in increments, a five-minute workout is five minutes more of a workout, it counts--that's what I did initially, walk a bit longer (a minute here or there), step on the machine anytime I could, even for a few minutes, etc., 4. most importantly, believe, truly believe, there are no other choices, it's not a luxury, it's not a choice, it's something you need to do like everything else you prioritize--tell that to yourself, repeat it often, write it on pieces of paper and hang them all over your place, etc. Good luck.

This was some great advice :-)
  • michelleellis
    michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Find things that motivate you......

Absolutely killing it in a slinky dress was one of mine.

I also wanted to be able to do all the things my grandson wanted me to. This includes throwing a 5 yr old up in the air.

Being able to build my own patio and arbour, not depend on others.

I want to get old with attitude, not a walker.

.......then commit.

Find your motivators, and make the commitment.
    MFP is here, and it will support you.

Cheers, h.

getting old with an attitude. I like that!!!!

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    for me i needed to become functional

the excess weight and health problems left we walking with a stick at the age of 31
    im now 170lb down and im able to run now, the stick left my life long ago
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh, we'll done ruqayyahsmum!

Functionality was my original goal too, then as mobility and fitness improved, attitude took hold.

Now I am the slim, 62yo nana, with pink and magenta hair, who trecks through tropical forests on horseback, rappels down waterfalls, snorkels with the fish, and zip lines over forest canopies....the list goes on.

Exercise still isn't my favourite thing, but if it helps me continue leading the life I never thought I would have when I was 40, I will keep doing it.

Cheers, h.
  • coco_bee
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OMG middlehaitch you do not look 62, you have a gorgeous figure and you really suit pink hair! Thank you all for your awesome stories, opinions, advice
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Thank coco-bee, blushing the colour of my hair right now. It is a cool lilac in my avatar. Now it is brilliant pink. It is lovely being old enough that you don't care what others think

Cheers, h.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sit down and figure out whether you are willing to commit or not. It doesnt sound like you wnat to get to your goal enough.

What you cna do is read these boards and pick up on ideas as to how to make the diet as simple to follow and as easy as possible to carry out. No need to make it harde r thna it needs be. progress encourages you.
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My friends on here motivate me and I hope I do the same. My treadmill was a clothes rack now it's a machine I use every day