Sugar Goal

Options
Hi All,
I've been using MFP for a few years now and have lost a substantial amount of weight. I'm plateauing at the moment and can't seem to budge it.

I am 5ft 4" weighing approx. 160lb.
I am pretty active (Gym 3-4 days per week doing full body weight sessions - I do keep a diary of what exercises I'm doing and have a routine so nothing gets missed out) on other days I do yoga, swimming and running.

I eat roughly 1300 calories per day - struggling to keep sugar intake down. I eat quite a lot of fruit, I love it and if I don't bring fruit and vegetables to work with me I tend to go down the route of going to buy from the shop which isn't a good habit to get into for my bank balance and my waist line.

Normal day for food is:

Breakfast: 30g of Porridge with 100ml lactofree semi-skimmed milk, 1 banana and 200ml of coconut water

Mid-Morning Meal: 150g of mixed leaf salad, 10 slices cucumber and 4 cherry tomatoes with 25g of grilled chicken breast.

Lunch: 150g of Mixed leaf salad, 10 slices cucumber and 4 cherry tomatoes with between 30 - 35g of grilled chicken breast.
250g of Melon/Pineapple

Mid-afternoon meal: 150 - 200g of mixed vegetables with 25 - 30g of lean Beef Steak or Grilled Chicken Breast.

Snacks: Carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber sticks, Satsuma.

I then have a banana before I do exercise on an evening, and then my tea which varies. I have a carb filled meal if I've been to the gym/running etc, on my rest days when I have them I tend to try and have a reduced carb meal.

Any advice on what to reduce?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? How long have you been stuck for?

Do you weigh all your snacks and stuff? Do you weight the slices of cucumber, the cherry tomatoes, the bananas, the satsumas, etc? Or do you choose an entry from the database? Do you eat back your exercise calories? If so, how do you calculate your exercise calories?
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for a couple of months.

I do weigh everything, I spend my mornings weighing food out to bring to work with me. I do tend to eat back some of the exercise calories but mainly to re-fuel. I calculate exercise mainly through MFP database which I know isn't fully correct.

It's mainly the sugar that I'm interested in as this seems to be the factor that I can't keep my macros down on... I will try and open my diary shortly, but this app won't seem to let me so will do when I can get on the pc.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Hmm ok. I'm not sure what to advise about sugar if you want to keep it down, but all I know is that a lot of sugar will not stop you losing weight, so I was going through the usual suspects if someone gets stuck. If you're weighing everything and only eating back some of your exercise calories then I'm not sure, maybe someone else can help!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »

Well the banana is the highest sugar fruit out there, g per 100g.

Personally I wouldn't eat before exercise if seeking to lose weight, I want to use bodyfat not sugar.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Well the banana is the highest sugar fruit out there, g per 100g.

Personally I wouldn't eat before exercise if seeking to lose weight, I want to use bodyfat not sugar.

Eating before you workout doesn't stop you from losing weight. I workout a few hours after lunch every day, and it's never stopped me from losing weight. And for some, it helps that them push harder during the workouts. If in the end, your overall day/week/month is in a deficit, you will burn fat.

OP, do you have any medical conditions? How long have you been dieting? Can you open your food diary? The more typical issues tend to be logging accuracy and logging consistency. And since you have very little to lose, its going to be a bit slower.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, do you have a medical condition that requires you to watch sugar? Secondly, when was the last time you had a diet break?
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    Yes I'm abit of a disaster tbh yarwell... IBS, 3 spinal problems and a pelvic issue. I've been "dieting" for around 2yrs, but I wouldn't really call it a diet, rather a lifestyle change and something to stick to permanently.The IBS is an issue with certain foods I can and cannot eat.

I think I may just try and sharpen up the logging, making sure everything is accurate. I know it's starting to slow down as the weight's dropped off quite quickly in the past. Not so bothered as to the weight, I don't care what's on the scales to an extent - more interested in seeing inches dropping off.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, do you have a medical condition that requires you to watch sugar? Secondly, when was the last time you had a diet break?

Haha, I haven't had a diet break, even when I go on holiday I don't have a full diet break. I just try and switch things around now and again so things don't stay the same...
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2015
    Options

Haha, I haven't had a diet break, even when I go on holiday I don't have a full diet break. I just try and switch things around now and again so things don't stay the same...

Some would suggest that taking a diet break, once every 6 months or so, can help with your sanity, but also, the additional calories can help restore hormonal levels, especially if you increase fats during that period of time. I find it beneficial just for mental reasons. And keep in mind, a deficit is stress on your body.

Personally, you can do a controlled diet break, where you set your calories to maintenance for 2 weeks, and then come back at a smaller deficit and more strict logging.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Eating before you workout doesn't stop you from losing weight. I workout a few hours after lunch every day, and it's never stopped me from losing weight.

without a control you don't know what you would have lost without the lunch, or eating it after exercise, or even with the lunch and without the exercise. These "never affected me" anecdotes are broadly useless.

If I exercise without eating I'll be oxidising more fat than if I down a banana first. Can't see any way around that.

• Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned bananas are pretty high in sugar, but as long as you're under calories that shouldn't matter.

I used to have one before I went to the the gym but I ended up swapping it out for a protein shake which I've found helps me get closer to my macros!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eating before you workout doesn't stop you from losing weight. I workout a few hours after lunch every day, and it's never stopped me from losing weight.

without a control you don't know what you would have lost without the lunch, or eating it after exercise, or even with the lunch and without the exercise. These "never affected me" anecdotes are broadly useless.

If I exercise without eating I'll be oxidising more fat than if I down a banana first. Can't see any way around that.
    Why do you need to see a way around it? Unless you don't eat the banana at all, you still have the same daily intake and the same daily burn. You might be burning more fat earlier in the day but you'll be burning less later.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2015
    Options

Yes, you will be burning more dietary fat. Ones body consistently cycles through fat burning and fat storage. Ones training, protein levels and overall deficit will determine the amount of fat lost and muscle retained while in a deficit.

And even most fasted weight training studies haven't showed much benefit.

edit - what is the time frame from when you workout and the prior time of eating?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I take a two week diet break, every 6 months. Its AWESOME. You're still being conscientious, but NO logging. The first 3 days drives you whack (I had to make myself eat something without weighing it)....
  • psuLemon
    Options

I take a two week diet break, every 6 months. Its AWESOME. You're still being conscientious, but NO logging. The first 3 days drives you whack (I had to make myself eat something without weighing it)....

I have done both a logged diet break and unlogged diet break. I tend to like the no logging version better. But both serve their purpose.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    Hmmm... May have to have a diet break then. Off on hols in a few weeks so will use that as my first week of a diet break as can't get wi-fi anyway and not a chance am I taking scales with me to weigh out my food haha. Then will do another week of less alcohol and less crappy foods, more normal but no counting for a week and see how I go. Thanks for the tips.

Also psulemon: I eat my mid-afternoon meal at 3, a banana at 5 and then workout at around 6. The banana is just a boost of energy before going to the gym, I find I work better on it. For example; people say going for a run before breakfast is good, I blackout if I do that so tend to try and eat something before I train as majority of the time I train on my own and have to drive after, prefer not to be blacking out...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I have done both a logged diet break and unlogged diet break. I tend to like the no logging version better. But both serve their purpose.

Snort! Obviously you don't remember my first one where I freaked out and was a basket case!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hmmm... May have to have a diet break then. Off on hols in a few weeks so will use that as my first week of a diet break as can't get wi-fi anyway and not a chance am I taking scales with me to weigh out my food haha. Then will do another week of less alcohol and less crappy foods, more normal but no counting for a week and see how I go. Thanks for the tips.

Also psulemon: I eat my mid-afternoon meal at 3, a banana at 5 and then workout at around 6. The banana is just a boost of energy before going to the gym, I find I work better on it. For example; people say going for a run before breakfast is good, I blackout if I do that so tend to try and eat something before I train as majority of the time I train on my own and have to drive after, prefer not to be blacking out...

Thanks, that was directed at yarnell, which he insinuates that not eating before exercise causes you to burn more fat...

I can't workout fasted. I have tried several time and can never get through a workout. So working out 2-3 post meal is ideal for me.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Snort! Obviously you don't remember my first one where I freaked out and was a basket case!
    How could I forget the daily PM's, ha