Starting my first bulk - any advice welcomed.

A little about me ....

I started properly using the gym May 2014 and continued to Feb. Only lifting weights on a 3 day split and probably not seeing the results I wanted to. Moved in Feb to prepare to go traveling and didn't use the gym at all. I've been travelling for 4 months now and the past 3 months I've been in the jungle in Oz. Decided that I wanted to cut in preparation of a bulk when I left the jungle and after my Bali trip. The cut went pretty well and I'm now down to 13 % body fat. I've been lifting still for 3 months as managed to get my hands on a decent set of weights.

Now for the bulk.

I've decided to use the 5 x 5 strong lifts for my bulk and wanted some advice for the diet. I was thinking to cycle but having read some previous posts I am unsure what would be more beneficial. So here is the question. Which would be better for me ....

Stats
140.8lbs
5 feet 6
24 years old
Maintenance calories pretty much 2500

Cycling
Lifting days
2875 calories
162 g protein
63.5g fat
413g carbs

Non lifting days
2250 calories
162 g protein
63.5g fat
258g carbs

Or

250 calories surplus everyday (cautious I know as it is my first bulk)

Just for a point of reference
Bench 65kg 5x5
Squat 65kg 5x5
DL 70kg 1x5

Any help appreciated

Thank you

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    I would've thought cycling calories would be pointless.. the whole point of a bulk is that you're in a constant caloric surplus so your body has a constant supply of nutrients etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I would've thought cycling calories would be pointless.. the whole point of a bulk is that you're in a constant caloric surplus so your body has a constant supply of nutrients etc.

I would agree. I haven't seen any study that would suggest cycling calories (outside of personal preference) would be beneficial. And since this is your first bulk, I would keep it as simple as possible.

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    I would go with the 2nd option of 250 calories surplus everyday. While bulking, you can still do some cardio but keep it to one 30 minute session a week. Start to increase the calories slowly and if you pre log your day, you will know what you are eating and when. This will prevent situations where its 9pm in the evening, you have loads of calories left and you are wondering what to have. Try to eat as many of the calories as you can but if you feel like its an awful lot of food, drink some of them like full fat milk or a smoothie. Spread what you eat throughout the day like 4 big meals and 2 snacks. Almonds are great for snacking on and are high in calories. Peanut butter is your friend as well. Good luck.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

I would agree. I haven't seen any study that would suggest cycling calories (outside of personal preference) would be beneficial. And since this is your first bulk, I would keep it as simple as possible.

For sure.

OP, get rid of the calorie cycling... it's useless.
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs

Stronglifts 5x5 is good, you can always try ICF 5x5 if you get bored of it - it has more accessory work.
  • jamieedwards725
    jamieedwards725 Posts: 18 Member
    I've been eating 5 meals a day already and reckon I can easily hit the calories needed. Have been hungry while at 2000 a day so a bigger breakfast and a better post workout meal should see me up there. I happen to love peanut butter and almonds so all good there. Cheers for the advice guys I'll keep it simple.
  • jdscrubs32
    I've been eating 5 meals a day already and reckon I can easily hit the calories needed. Have been hungry while at 2000 a day so a bigger breakfast and a better post workout meal should see me up there. I happen to love peanut butter and almonds so all good there. Cheers for the advice guys I'll keep it simple.

3 scoops of oats with 3 - 4 scoops of full fat milk, banana, tablespoon of jam/jell o and a scoop of flaxseed, millseed and sunflower seed all grounded up if you can get it, is a handy breakfast to have in the morning.
  • jamieedwards725
    Scoops? What size
  • jdscrubs32
    Scoops? What size

The scoop that I got and use is 30grams so by 3 that makes 90 grams of oats and 120 grams of milk.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Almonds. Almonds. Almonds.

And more almonds.
  • strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    What's your goal?
  • lovellm122
    lovellm122 Posts: 51 Member
    Read the stickies and articles on bodybuilding.com in relation to bulking. If still unsure ask the guys on forum; they have bulked and cut numerous times and have years and years of experience.
  • jamieedwards725
    Goal weight is 155lbs so an increase of 14lbs. Does this sound about right? Should take 6-7 months to complete?
  • strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    Increase of 1 stone? Good goal, and most people bulk for at least 6 months.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Well if you would want to do a clean bulk (250 calorie a day surplus, 2 lbs a month gain) you'd probably need to bulk about 7 months.
    So that definitely sounds right to me.
  • jamieedwards725
    Would 250 surpluss for 7 months be better than 500 for 3.5 months?

In terms of fat gain, muscle gain, and strength gains?

Cheers
  • jdscrubs32

Cheers

Its up to you. If you want to do it slow, you should increase the muscle and fat slowly at roughly the same amount. If you want to do it quick, you might end up putting on too much fat and having to "cut" for longer than you had planned after. I've been bulking since November and will have gained around 15kg/33lbs by the time I finish at the end of this month/middle of next month.

If you are patient, do it slow. If you aren't patient and want results quickly in the short term, do it fast. Up to you.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member

Cheers

As far as I know, the faster you gain, the more of it will be fat.
    I think it has something to do with the maximum growth rate of muscle. Gaining fat is easier than adding muscle.
    So doing a faster, dirty, bulk will result in mostly fat and probably only the same amount of muscle you will gain in 3.5 months of a clean bulk.
  • jamieedwards725
    I think I'll be patient and stick with the 250 surpluss. Cheers
  • jdscrubs32
    I think I'll be patient and stick with the 250 surpluss. Cheers

Good man. Good luck and enjoy all the foods:)
  • Call_Me_Joe
    Call_Me_Joe Posts: 1 Member
    eat more carbs, dont get scammed with supplements theyre just a waste money. trust me, My trainer never taken whey protein or supplements but organic foods: vegetables and fruits, lean meats. see how people waste money today for just buying supplements. Money is hoax today so be careful.