Going on vacation and DON'T want to gain weight!!

Options
I plan on at least walking every morning, but any tips for NOT gaining weight while on vacation??

Replies

• kevcar0603
    kevcar0603 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try to pick the healthier option and watch your portion size. Drink lots of water to keep from eating too much and ENJOY your vacation!! I'm not sure where you're going, but maybe you can find some fun physical things to do while you're there (hiking, swimming or a bike ride). Have a great time!!
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Dont do what I did...

if you cant log, be quite careful and remember a holiday doesnt have to be a holiday from healthy eating..

i actually posted this about 10 mins ago so should prove a cautionary note - and i was working out HARD and still gained..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/102369-proof-you-can-t-out-exercise-a-bad-diet

Cheers

ps I hope you are going somewhere nice!
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    I am going on vacation as well. I have already looked online at the places we usually eat to find the healthier options. Also I filled snack size bags with snacks like pretzels, almonds and taking cucumbers. Good luck.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are going, here are a few things I do:

Bring oatmeal for breakfast: I use the coffee pot in the hotel room to heat up water.
    Bring your own snacks: I make small baggies of stuff and put them in my purse and carry them everywhere
    When at meals only order water: Sometimes I get a slice of lemon, but soda calories or alcohl can really add up
    Get a side salad with dressing on the side with each meal: I eat the salad first to fill up then eat only until comfortable. Do not feel guilty about leaving a lot of food on your plate. If I bring my daughter, we share each meal to cut down on leftovers.
    Don't worry if you get a small treat: Sometimes when we try avoid the ice cream or fried foods we end up eating more and feel guilty. Try to plan in a "treat" food that is inevitable with vacation.

Have fun and enjoy.
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you - we leave for a cruise vacation in less than 10 days...I set a goal at the beginning of this weight loss journey to lose 30 pounds before the cruise, and I am at minus 29 now, so I should make it...my new goal will be to maintain while on the cruise and get back to losing when we get home...

I plan on taking advantage of every opportunity I can to be active...choosing stairs instead of elevators, utilizing the walking track and (hopefully!) the fitness center onboard, as well as booking a couple of island tours that involve lots of physical activity (swimming, snorkeling, and walking tours)...

Eating on vacation is the challenge...I think we all deserve to take a little liberty while on vacation, but I am going to be doing my best to make healthier choices when available, and not have the only fruit I consume come in tall frosty glasses with umbrellas (and rum!) in them!

Good luck, have a great time, and try to relax and let your new better eating habits kick in naturally!
  • CerysW
    CerysW Posts: 6
    Options
    I used to accept the fact that I was guaranteed to put weight on during vacation, but with my last holiday I made an effort to try to keep it off without it ruining anything.

I was so pleased what I came back from a two week all-inclusive holiday exactly the same weight!
    All I did was cut out the majority of carbs, and swim!

I ate alot of scrambled eggs (i love them) and chicken or fish. Basically I ate anything which was high protein & low carb. I ate like this every day & didn't get bored because like with most all inclusive hotels they have a large selection of different dishes every day.

I made a consious effort to get up & go swim instead of just laying there doing nothing. I love swimming so I was no hardship to me really. I went to Egypt & ended up speding lots of time snorkeling, you don't even realise how much you have been swimming because it's so amazing to see! brilliant distraction, you will not get bored doing that!
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I plan on at least walking every morning, but any tips for NOT gaining weight while on vacation??

Where are you going? That makes it a lot easier to make some recommendations. For example, if it was a beach trip I'd say rent bikes with the family one morning or walk up and down the boardwalk before the crowds hit it. Play beach games (volleyball, bocce, anything that keeps you moving a lot). But I second what Chenoachem said, do oatmeal for breakfast if you can. If there are already breakfast plans, do a very healthy and light lunch or dinner that day. I'm sure you'll do fine!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    When I went on vacation last summer, it might have been the first time I"ve not gained weight on vacation. I brought a pencil and notebook to write down all my food/drinks (journal), and I made sure to get in at least three days of exercise. I tried to choose healthier food options most of the time too, but I did splurge every now and then. It's vacation after all. You can do it!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My wonderful friend itsbella posted this on another thread just yesterday:

Staying Fit While Traveling: Working Out on the Road
    By Shaun T, creator of INSANITY®
    Leaving your home where all your dumbbells and videos and favorite workout mat are all laid out for you? I'm here to tell you that's not an excuse to fall off the fitness bandwagon, or to act like you don't know exercise is NOT NEGOTIABLE. It's vital to your health, energy, and mental outlook. So now that I've called you out on it (you know who you are out there), here are some of the things I do when I'm traveling but not performing. And don't laugh. I do what I've got to do to get results. I make no apology.

First, pack anything you can within reason that will help your workout commitment. Grab sneakers, workout wear, favorite workout DVDs—INSANITY, Hip Hop Abs®, Rockin' Body® . . . whatever gets you moving!

When you get to your destination, whether it's a hotel or a friend's or relative's home, ask where a local gym is located. Most will be happy to give you a 1-day pass to check out their facilities, or only charge you a small fee for the day or week.

No gym in the scenic, out-of-the-way location where you find yourself? Rent a bike, or if it's winter, some cross-country skis. Got a computer? I'll bet it plays DVDs, so pop in your workout, Push Play, and get busy!

No computer or DVD player? Grab a chair and do squats and tricep dips. Lie on the floor and bench press your suitcase (close it securely first!), do push-ups, or if you can't do that, push off a wall to work your chest and arms. Need cardio? Find some stairs, go for a run, or turn on some music and do some of your favorite dance moves. Or do some yoga—those moving asanas are strenuous, and an amazing way of working your whole body.

Sound crazy? Recently while on the road I stopped by a friend's room to see if she wanted to go to the gym with me. She was lifting her little carry-on bag over her head doing tricep presses. Looked pretty effective.

You get the idea. Just keep fitness as a priority and you'll find ways to make it work.

Peace out,
    Shaun T
  • Robin304
    Robin304 Posts: 64
    Options
    I went on a cruise last month and was thrilled that I didn't gain any weight. On a previous cruise I had gained 5lbs, so I was excited. I decided before I went that I would enjoy myself but not use the fact that this was a vacation be an excuse to just throw all my hard work out the window. But if I slipped, I wouldn't beat myself up about it. This seemed to take a lot of pressure off of me. So, I ate fruit for breakfast with low fat yogurt, when eating at the buffet I would choose grilled fish and veggies. For dinner I ate in the dining room and always chose the "spa" or light selections which were always tasty and satisfying. I did splurge and ate Tiramisu one night. I always took the stairs instead of the elevators and would walk the track in the evenings. The view was amazing and the company was great.

So, I'm not sure what type of vacation you are going on, but no matter what it is I hope you have an amazing time. Make the best choices you can with the options you have:smile:
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Vacation does not = Vacation from goals

Keep it in the back of your head. You know your dos and don'ts.

Eat as you normally would at home, focus more on the activity, environment, relaxation aspects of the vacay and i think you will find that you will, at the very least, hopefully, be the same weight you were when you left for the trip.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! I will keep all suggestions in mind!!