I'm not Sure How to Stop. Really Need Help with Binge Eating!

Options
I really need to work on binge eating. I seem to have this destructive mentality about eating healthy; When I’m in I’m all in and I’m good at making sure I exercise and eat the right kinds of food, but if I eat something that is “off plan” I basically spiral out of control and decide I should probably just eat every type of junk food I’ve ever wanted to eat since I’ve "ruined" the day. It's very ugly. I know that I shouldn’t let eating a small serving of junk food turn into an entire day of bad eating, but I’ve been unable to communicate this to my body. What is the answer? It seems unlikely that I can just decide that I’ll never eat junk food again, so how do I teach myself moderation?

Replies

• FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same struggle. I just have to do some positive reaffirmation that the bad choice I made is not a total reflection on my determination to do this. It was a momentary lapse in self control, but that it only means that my eating for the rest of the day and week has to be 100% on point, or else all of my previous efforts will have been for nothing.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical plan see a counselor and try and find out why you're doing this. Many times we turn to food as comfort as we don't know how to deal with other issues or stress in our lives. Once you're in a better place it will become easier to say no.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Professional help might be the answer.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You're getting yourself absorbed into a "right now" mentality, and the real way to change a behavior is to make new habits by repetition. don't make it hard on yourself, though - don't bring the crap food into your house and it won't be there for you to binge on. When you go out to eat with friends/family, plan ahead of time what you'll order (look up menu online, caloric content) so you're already one step ahead and already feeling good about what you're going to eat. Maybe you need to not eat that crap food at all until you can teach yourself the self-control.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If the thing that causes you to spiral out of control is the fact that the food was not "on plan" then I can relate to that. Every time I've tried to lose weight before, I was a perfectionist, all or nothing, very black and white type person with my approach, and if I deviated off that plan, it made me feel like I failed and then I'd spiral out of control and back into bad eating habits. I just had to change my thinking about food - which is easier said than done - but now no food is "off plan" or off limits or bad or labeled as junk for me. I do try to eat more nutrient dense foods that I cook at home, but if I want chips or chocolate or fast food, I go ahead and have it and just factor it into my calorie goal for the day. And since nothing is off limits, these things don't hold the same appeal that they used to when I tried to deny myself from eating those yummy things. It's easier to stay at a healthy portion because I know I can eat it again tomorrow if I feel like it.

Now, if you're spiraling out of control not because you feel like you failed but because you are just unable to practice portion control at ALL - then I agree with the above that some counseling may help. There are counselors that specialize in eating disorders, including binge eating, because there are always underlying issues for why we're binging that usually have nothing to do with food. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The strange thing is I don't actually feel sad or emotionally distressed. I feel like I would understand my actions more if I did have some big stressor in my life right now that drives me to food, but I don't see it. I think I'm starting to see that this is a pattern of coping with being mildly board more than anything else. I did this as a small kid when I was stuck in the house all summer long and this seems to have followed me into adulthood. It feels almost uncontrollable because I sort of zone out when it's happening. I'm just starting to realize that this isn't a thing that healthy people do and so I'm trying to figure out how to stop.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I second professional help.
    In addition to that, your issue seems to be more with your mindset of "ruining" your day than with the junk food. (I noticed how you don't talk about how eating off-plan triggers irresistible cravings -- rather, it seems to trigger feelings of defeat which leads to self-sabotage.)
    You may find it more productive to focus on the bigger picture -- rather than day by day, think of week by week. A little splurge may cause you to be over your calorie limit for the day, but it doesn't have to "ruin" your week. Even if you pass your calories goal that day, you can focus on eating within your limit and exercising a little extra to meet your calorie goal for the week. Losing weight happens over the long run, so even if you slip up one day, it's really simple for you to get back on track. One slip-up won't "ruin" your weight-loss journey, so stop thinking that a slip-up has "ruined" your day -- it hasn't. Acknowledged that you slipped up, and then get right back on track that day.
  • jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The big change for me is the calorie economy mindset I have now. I'm super aware of how many calories I'm "spending" and always making decisions based on that. I never regret anything I eat, I just always stay aware of the calories I've "spent" that day. Last Friday was my anniversary and my wife and I went to a new seafood restaurant. I love fried clams so we ordered some for an appetizer. They were mediocre so I decided it wasn't worth the calorie spend, even though I had planned for it that day, so I quit eating them. We left 2/3 of an order uneaten. Before MFP I would NEVER have done that. I've also had several days of going over my calories. I make a conscious decision that I'm going to do that and stay on track the next day and move forward.

I'm sorry you're struggling and hope you find a method that works for you. This mindset change for me has made all the difference in the world. I've lost 27 pounds in 12 weeks and have another 33 to go and I look forward to each day working towards my goal.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I binge on veg first.If that doesn't work I go to air popped popcorn,Bluberries then tuna.I usaully am full before I get to the Kashi cereal,but I have eaten o whole box before. At least it is good food not junk! Good luck
  • zhangsongan
    zhangsongan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jpaulsims wrote: »
    The big change for me is the calorie economy mindset I have now. I'm super aware of how many calories I'm "spending" and always making decisions based on that. I never regret anything I eat, I just always stay aware of the calories I've "spent" that day. Last Friday was my anniversary and my wife and I went to a new seafood restaurant. I love fried clams so we ordered some for an appetizer. They were mediocre so I decided it wasn't worth the calorie spend, even though I had planned for it that day, so I quit eating them. We left 2/3 of an order uneaten. Before MFP I would NEVER have done that. I've also had several days of going over my calories. I make a conscious decision that I'm going to do that and stay on track the next day and move forward.

I'm sorry you're struggling and hope you find a method that works for you. This mindset change for me has made all the difference in the world. I've lost 27 pounds in 12 weeks and have another 33 to go and I look forward to each day working towards my goal.

I really like your idea of spending calories. I'm starting to consider the same as you!
  • zhangsongan
    zhangsongan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Rikki007s wrote: »
    The strange thing is I don't actually feel sad or emotionally distressed. I feel like I would understand my actions more if I did have some big stressor in my life right now that drives me to food, but I don't see it. I think I'm starting to see that this is a pattern of coping with being mildly board more than anything else. I did this as a small kid when I was stuck in the house all summer long and this seems to have followed me into adulthood. It feels almost uncontrollable because I sort of zone out when it's happening. I'm just starting to realize that this isn't a thing that healthy people do and so I'm trying to figure out how to stop.

Binge Eating doesn't necessarily mean that you are under pressure right now. Sometimes when your body feels 'hungry' (short of nutrition), it would be easier to trigger binge eating. Especially when you are really strict to yourself during 'regular' weight-losing days and actually, your body are short of nutrition. Then when you eat something (often sweetmeat, which can boost your blood-sugar, and make you feel 'hungry' to eat more easily) contain a lot of energy, and your body like it, you will keep on eating no matter how full your stomach feels.

Thus in order to deal with this kind of binge eating problem, you need to eat more nutritious food during normal days and exercise more to keep the calories balance. Then you will find there is no 'craving' for food. When you occasionally eat some junk food, you will not keep on eating it.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    are these things in your home? if so get them out! I don't really have anything awful or triggery in my house. like i don't bake brownies anymore, because i will eat the pan. if i want a brownie i would buy a single serve or something. I don't really give myself the option to binge. and i really like ice cream, so i buy pre portioned ones because i don't know if i could see a whole container and not go back to it..i basically keep foods i like, not love in my house.

i'm too lazy and cheap to binge on fast food type things, so thankfully that is not a trigger for me. Like once i'm in for the night..i would NEVER leave the house for like a cheeseburger or something, i don't care how good it sounds. because lazy trumps cravings.
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I think part of my problem is telling myself I absolutely can't have certain foods, so when I do I just want to have as much as I can since the day feels gone already. I know that's a dumb way to think about it and I'm trying to change that. I am type 2 diabetic, so these binges worry me even more then they would a person without a chronic illness just because I'm sure it pushes my blood sugar up pretty high. In general I'm a very healthy eater, so the fact that I have these binges about once a week I think is really holding me back from being the healthy person I want to be. I am currently at a healthy weight, so my biggest concern really is making sure that I don't eat tons of stuff that I am unable to process as a diabetic.

I never keep this food in my home, but because I live in a city and walk a lot I walk past all kinds of places that sell yummy treats. On a typical binge day maybe I'll go downstairs for a snack at the end of my workday and buy Cheez-Its. Then those are so good an hour later when I leave work I'll go and buy a large sugar cookie from a sandwich shop. Then that was just so tasty that I stop by the CVS right near my home and get a small can of Pringles. That's a lot of junk food in the span of a couple of hours and I feel like I don't have much control over what I'm buying.

I like the idea of the calorie economy. I'll try to do that. I also think that maybe if I give myself treats that are ok for diabetics to have maybe I won't go nuts over the stuff I'm not suppose to have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I really need to work on binge eating. I seem to have this destructive mentality about eating healthy; When I’m in I’m all in and I’m good at making sure I exercise and eat the right kinds of food, but if I eat something that is “off plan” I basically spiral out of control and decide I should probably just eat every type of junk food I’ve ever wanted to eat since I’ve "ruined" the day. It's very ugly. I know that I shouldn’t let eating a small serving of junk food turn into an entire day of bad eating, but I’ve been unable to communicate this to my body. What is the answer? It seems unlikely that I can just decide that I’ll never eat junk food again, so how do I teach myself moderation?

I save junk food for the end of the day when I am full of fullness-enhancing foods like protein, fat, veggies, and fiber. Doing this allows me to stop at one serving.

However, there are some trigger foods, like Oreos, that I just can't have in the house.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies. I think part of my problem is telling myself I absolutely can't have certain foods, so when I do I just want to have as much as I can since the day feels gone already. I know that's a dumb way to think about it and I'm trying to change that. I am type 2 diabetic, so these binges worry me even more then they would a person without a chronic illness just because I'm sure it pushes my blood sugar up pretty high. In general I'm a very healthy eater, so the fact that I have these binges about once a week I think is really holding me back from being the healthy person I want to be. I am currently at a healthy weight, so my biggest concern really is making sure that I don't eat tons of stuff that I am unable to process as a diabetic.

I never keep this food in my home, but because I live in a city and walk a lot I walk past all kinds of places that sell yummy treats. On a typical binge day maybe I'll go downstairs for a snack at the end of my workday and buy Cheez-Its. Then those are so good an hour later when I leave work I'll go and buy a large sugar cookie from a sandwich shop. Then that was just so tasty that I stop by the CVS right near my home and get a small can of Pringles. That's a lot of junk food in the span of a couple of hours and I feel like I don't have much control over what I'm buying.

I like the idea of the calorie economy. I'll try to do that. I also think that maybe if I give myself treats that are ok for diabetics to have maybe I won't go nuts over the stuff I'm not suppose to have.

When's the last time you ate prior to buying the Cheez-Its and what would that meal typically be?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're currently restricting calories, you may be trying for too high of a deficit. I find if my deficit is appropriate, then the urge to binge is much reduced. Even if I eat a trigger food, if my average deficit is appropriate then it doesn't turn into a binge. If I've been eating at a 1000 calorie deficit for a few days, then yeah, any tasty treat might turn into a binge.

Just my experience.
  • lalahos
    lalahos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I really recommend mindful meditation. It's a great tool to help you detach and observe your emotions from a safe distance and really helps to reduce stress and anxiety. Give it a try. Can't hurt :)
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I'm exactly the same, I've been trying to log all my binges and it is an eye opener.
    They say the best way to beat binging is to not diet but it didn't work for me
    I just keep trying I hope they bocome less frequent
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    could you try not having any money with you? If i go to say ..an amusement park or something with my kids i always pack snacks. I leave all cash and credit cards at home so i can't be tempted by all the yummy stuff i walk by. maybe one day i will have willpower, but fake it till you make it right?

I wanted a donut the other day at orientation..and i thought to myself..would you eat this naked in front of a mirror? and said no! i chew a lot of gum, and drink water. I know 1 krispy kreme is fine, but i also knew that i might want more after i ate 1.

pack food with you. always. even cheeze its. put gum in your mouth when you walk in a store. I also find myself asking myself..would you rather have a brownie or dinner. brownie has only won once.