Energy! Where can I get it? Need something to get the ball rolling.

Options
I want something that I can take right when I wake up in the morning to give me that boost. I want to start working out about 5am and I know once I get in the routine of exercising the energy will come naturally. I just feel like I need something to help me get the ball rolling. Any suggestions?

Replies

• whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    help
  • jeepinsteve
    jeepinsteve Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Caffeine supplement or a low carb / sugar energy drink. Stay away from energy drinks with sugar, you will crash hard and feel like crap the rest of the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    5hr energy
  • whouwannab
    Options
    I have seen the 5hr energy and the Ginseng pills, etc. at the gas station. Just didnt know what to get. I want it to kick in fairly quickly. Like take it the minute I wake up, get dressed , and be ready to roll.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    By the way, a cup of Starbucks gives me the shakes! Too strong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Trust that it's more attitude than the "boost" you need if that's your plan. While I'm not against energy boosts (you do realize that they're just stimulants), getting a good night's rest and actually wanting to do it at 5 in the morning is your best booster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Some food? Nothing will get into your bloodstream in 1 minute. The fastest simple carbs will be in your bloodstream is 15-30 mins imo. Caffeine is the one I use to perk me up, but I back it up with having eaten soemthing.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you just need to wake up, without the stimulation, a small glass of orange juice will do it - basically a mini-sugar rush. It doesnt take a lot, but can really wake you up quickly in some cases.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Okay, good things to think about. Sounds like I might want to try getting up about 4:45am, give myself 15 min to eat/drink a little something and wake up, then start my workout. I will try the orange juice first.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Of course, the kids will be wondering why my bed time is earlier than theirs! ha ha
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 5am to workout and I'm not a morning person at all. It takes me forever to wake up. But I've found that giving myself time to eat some oatmeal with protein powder helps to get me going. And some upbeat music while I'm stretching!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I use an energy drink called Redline Extreme. It packs a major punch!! No jitters, just solid energy.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Ah yes - some tricks for getting out of bed (I originally did this for work, not working out :) )

1) Set out workout clothes night before (or wear them to bed).
    2) Put workout clothes on top of toilet lid. When alarm goes off, go potty. While sitting there, strip and change.
    3) Set alarm to be upbeat music you use on your workout playlist.
    4) Get plug timers and plug lamps into them so lights come on 10 minutes before alarm goes off.
    5) Set one alarm 15 minutes earlier than you want up. When it goes off, swig your OJ or pre-workout, then go back to sleep. When second one goes off, will be easier to get up.
    6) Put your alarm clock under the bed or across the room so you have to get up to turn it off.
    7) Make the first song on your workout playlist always the same. Use that as your alarm clock song - kind of a learned response.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Good ideas aylajane!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off and I get up, put on my workout clothes, brush my teeth and splash water, cold, on my face. Then I go feed the pets and make a cup of coffee. I sip the coffee in peace and quiet for a few minutes, start thinking about my workout, and go and do it. I feel pretty perky by the time I start.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend having anything sweet in the very early morning and working out hard. After you wake up, there is still growth hormone in your body (which helps you burn fat). If you spike your insuline with sugar, then you will lose it and it will be harder for the body to burn fat. It will first use what you eat in the morning as energy rather than your stored fat in your body. So..... wake up and have a light cardio ( u can have a black coffee without sugar if u want a boost) and have your high protein meal after that
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Okay mmutluaydin, that makes sense. I drink my coffee black, so that wont be a problem.
  • jbirdy76
    jbirdy76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was struggling so bad trying to get up and get going in the morning so I could make it to the gym, it kept me from being there for the last year, I decided to start logging food and eating clean even though I wasn't making it to the gym I felt so much better then I start walking and reaching a step goal everyday now mornings are so much easier I feel way better. I was eating too much sugar and junk and felt so groggy in the mornings, that morning fog or hangover as I called it is disappearing as I clean up my diet!
    You will just have to find what works for you, you have got a lot of great advice.
  • david2831g78
    david2831g78 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with 2 tbsp of Chia Seeds and 2 tbsp of Flaxseed. I also take a green tea extract and coconut oil.