Pecans???

Options
So I know that generally nuts are healthy, but you usually only hear about almonds and such. I was just curious as to if some nuts are "healthier" than others. Are pecans okay? I really like them.

Thanks!

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, I love them too. I'm in Texas and they are about to start dropping in the next month or two and I can't wait!

I am not sure what advantages they have over other nuts, but I came across this website:
    http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/pecans.html
    Looks like it would be a great resource to compare different types of nuts.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Which nuts are the healthiest for you is all relative to what the rest of your diet looks like.

Pecans, as with most nuts, contain a wide range of micronutrients as well as being a source of unsaturated fat and fibre.

If you like them, enjoy them as part of your diet, but weigh your portion as the calories in nuts can add up quickly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I once prepared a table comparing various milk sources including sour cream and the yogurts. Really there's not much difference between them and the only distinguishing factor is the percent of fat, which will tell you how many calories in a cup. Vitamins were about the same.

I suspect the same with nuts and seeds. They are all good in their own way. I believe pecans are a little higher in fat but that's not necessarily bad. Here's three interesting seeds to look at; pumpkin, sunflower and sesame. I believe sunflower seeds may uniquely provide selenium in to the diet.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    It's not about them being "okay" or not, it's if they fit in your calorie goal.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Are pecans okay? I really like them.

Thanks!

Peeee-cans or PeCaaaaaaans? You have to say it the correct way.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Pecans are great! All nuts have their benefits.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-nuts
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Are pecans okay? I really like them.

Thanks!

Peeee-cans or PeCaaaaaaans? You have to say it the correct way.

Paula Dean says both are correct.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i love raw walnuts and salted sweet pecans.. they are both okay to eat but, you need to weight them for a little bit really does add up in the calorie and fat gram area! they are almost double the fat for the same serving as almonds i do believe.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    How else can you make a turtle sundae?