Exertion headache

Options
Last week when I was bench pressing and at the end of the last set (the heaviest) I felt a very strong headache starting from the back of my head and my eyes were like they wona explose. I stoped immediatly but next day when I tried I felt the same from the first set ( shoulders). I gave myself a week of rest and yesterday tried to return but the pain is just there after little exertion. I did some research about it from theoretical point and I want to see from your experience have you ever had this kind of headache and if so what you did for it? Thank you

Replies

• ElleBelleLiptak
    ElleBelleLiptak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've had something similar before and the only thing that personally helped me was staying more hydrated. I'm not sure what caused the headaches or if hydrating is even what helped, but it may be a start for you. Do you consume a lot of caffeine?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I suffer migraines and and heavy lifting session can and does bring one on. If it something new for you, you need to go to the dr and have it checked out.
  • zeinmr
    zeinmr Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I consume tons of water per day so I dont think it is hydration issue. Yes I consume around 3 to 4 cups. I am almost certain it is related to breathing and bad positioning.
  • ghoti_fish
    ghoti_fish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I get what I call exercise headaches but it doesn't sound the same as what you describe...I looked into it and found that It is very common to suffer headaches After or sometimes during physical exertion and there are a few theories about why ranging from poor hydration to a weakness/overstressing of the neck-muscles.
    My headaches are a slow, hot feeling - a sort of whooshy pounding in my head which can last all day. My answer to it is to stay super-hydrated (sounds like you already are) and on really hot days I pre-dose paracetamol before I work out. What you are describing sounds much more intense and probably worth seeing a doctor about.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    ghoti_fish wrote: »
    I get what I call exercise headaches but it doesn't sound the same as what you describe...I looked into it and found that It is very common to suffer headaches After or sometimes during physical exertion and there are a few theories about why ranging from poor hydration to a weakness/overstressing of the neck-muscles.
    My headaches are a slow, hot feeling - a sort of whooshy pounding in my head which can last all day. My answer to it is to stay super-hydrated (sounds like you already are) and on really hot days I pre-dose paracetamol before I work out. What you are describing sounds much more intense and probably worth seeing a doctor about.

Thank you
  • Josephgshapiro
    Josephgshapiro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is probably due to maximum muscle contraction since this was a heavy weight. When your muscles are contracted heavily like that blood is rushed away from the other parts of your body to be used for this muscle. Therefore, this causes a lowering of oxygen which can cause headache. What you have to do it get some rest, massage the muscle and do meditate to start getting more oxygenated blood into your body.

Good luck!
    how to get shredded
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first began my lifting program. I found that more water and proper breathing techniques helped. Make sure you breathe.
  • Ripsco
    Ripsco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned probably exertion headache. Definitely need to go get it checked out. I'm also a migraine sufferer so don't know if the two are related?
    At the time I had a pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder which is thought to have caused it. Doctor was useless tbh in my case and gave me very strong pain killers and anti inflammatory but went to a chiropractor and he was amazing! He put his finger on the Base of my skull and could instantly recognisable create the headache. Then, cracked a few bones and realigned me and I was cured lol.
  • zeinmr
    Options
    This is probably due to maximum muscle contraction since this was a heavy weight. When your muscles are contracted heavily like that blood is rushed away from the other parts of your body to be used for this muscle. Therefore, this causes a lowering of oxygen which can cause headache. What you have to do it get some rest, massage the muscle and do meditate to start getting more oxygenated blood into your body.

Good luck!
    how to get shredded

I hope 2 weeks would be enough. I just get start to see great results and very disappointed to stop
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    More than likely it's an issue with "tensing" the neck. Do you lift your head up when you bench? Don't. Do you grit and grind your teeth? Get a mouth piece or breath with an open mouth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zeinmr
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    More than likely it's an issue with "tensing" the neck. Do you lift your head up when you bench? Don't. Do you grit and grind your teeth? Get a mouth piece or breath with an open mouth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes my pain starts in my last set bench press. I put a new weight and my last repetition was so difficult and my spoter let me doing all the job and I remember that I lost my position for sure. But my question do you think will last for long?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes my pain starts in my last set bench press. I put a new weight and my last repetition was so difficult and my spoter let me doing all the job and I remember that I lost my position for sure. But my question do you think will last for long?
    Blood pressure shoots up high on high intensity weight training, especially when increasing the resistance to 85% and up of 1RM. This usually will force many to recruit as much ancillary muscles to complete a rep and lots of people really tense up around the neck. I can't say that it will go away. But my experience is that when I get people to be aware of the tensing, they end up having less issues with headaches.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• zeinmr
    Options
    zeinmr wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Blood pressure shoots up high on high intensity weight training, especially when increasing the resistance to 85% and up of 1RM. This usually will force many to recruit as much ancillary muscles to complete a rep and lots of people really tense up around the neck. I can't say that it will go away. But my experience is that when I get people to be aware of the tensing, they end up having less issues with headaches.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you I appreciate your help