Gym anxiety?

Options
Hey all,
I'm looking for some ideas and support. I have managed to lose 101.5 pounds (yay!) so far since beginning this journey towards health last June. This has been done primarily with healthy eating and walking. I told myself at 100 pounds lost I needed to push myself to get over the discomfort of the gym and begin to incorporate more exercise in to my routine. Historically, I have felt pretty out of place and therefore avoided it. I've begun taking some classes, which has helped, but I'm looking for suggestions on websites, programs, personal tips, etc. To begin to feel more competent in the gym when it comes to circuit training/free weights. Any and all suggestions are welcomed! Thank you in advance.

Replies

• ElleBelleLiptak
    ElleBelleLiptak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Avoid going in peak hours! I work at a gym but I prefer to workout at my apartment gym where it is less crowded still! I'm very shy! But I made a routine for myself so I came at the same time everyday and saw the same crowd of people so it made me feel like less of an outsider! I hope that helps a bit!! Great job on your weight loss as well! :)
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to a gym if you don't like it. Why force yourself (and spend all that money?) Bodyweight exercises only need a pull-up bar. You can exercise outdoors. I jog to a park and use a bar at a playground and do other bodyweight exercises at home.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster- go when it's not crowded and just take your time. I'm a newbie to the gym too and before I started my workout plan, I went with my husband on a very slow Friday night. I walked around to all of the machines I needed to use on my workout plan and basically just did a dress rehearsal for each. I set up each machine for my height specifications and figured out what weight was going to be best to use, etc. I put notes into my phone for each machine (where it's located, what weight to use, how to adjust it...) so that way when I'm at the gym with lots of other people around, I can refer back to my notes and have that little extra boost of confidence to at least look like I know what I'm doing :) And everyone's on their phone adjusting music and whatnot at the gym so it's no big deal to refer to my notes.

Just like with anything-the more you do it, the easier it will be. Best of luck!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Personally I like the gym because it means I can compartmentalize my day. Avoid peak hours as Elle said. Also NO ONE CARES. Everyone is focused on their own workouts. If anyone says anything to you (that's negative) either ignore them or tell them to F-off.

I go every morning between 6:30 and 7:00 and stay until 8:00 or 8:30. No one cares about what I do, or if they do it's usually because they want the machine I am using or vise-versa. Be polite, don't crash the weights, and be mindful of other people.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I experienced gym anxiety when I first got into weight training, and my anxiety was primarily due to me not knowing wth I was doing lol, so i was scared id look dumb and ppl would stare. Go to the gym when its dead learn the machines make a workout plan and just do it. TBH 99% of ppl in the gym don't care what the next person is doing. Its all in your head trust me. Of course your going to get some creepers staring here and there but im sure you get that often so just ignore it find you some nice music and zone out. You cant let others hold you back from your goals
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I started out at a small Cardinal Fitness (now Charter Fitness). It was the perfect size and never too busy. I moved to two different towns and went to two other Charter Fitnesses. I happened to go buy my original location 2 weeks ago. They have sense remodeled. The location has tripled in size. Had I started at the original location now, I would've been way overwhelmed. I wasn't now, as I'm used to going. But 5 years ago, I never would've stepped foot in a gym that size.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The more time you spend in there the more you will realise that it is a safe environment. In my experience no-one is interested in watching anyone else unless they think they can learn something from them. I think its a good idea to do as many classes as you enjoy - the more time you spend there the more comfortable you will feel.

I would suggest you go in with a plan. Know what you want to do and how to do it as well as what area you can expect to be in. (for example, at my gym there is an area of mats to one side for push ups, planks, sit ups etc). I think I spent a few days on the treadmill just watching how other people did things. I did a lot of research online and found a routine that I wanted to do and went on you tube to check form. I wrote it all in a notebook which I still use and carry with me now.

The most important thing to remember is that you have as much right to be there as anyone else. It's just a big room full of people who have a common interest. The other people there aren't the enemy, they are like minded people. Some are further along in their journey than others, some have further to go to get to their goals but we are all working to the same reason - it's our hobby.

It's taken me about 2 years of going to the gym at least 3 times a week but I feel as comfortable there as I do at home.

So go in there, smile at anyone that makes eye contact, say hello if you fancy it and rock your workout. Get your sweat on and walk out feeling fabulous!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I realized the mirrors are for clients who are busy checking out their OWN physique, I relaxed. It also helps that hubby comes along. Rock a great outfit. I personally go for bold right down to neon pink shoes.

With a hundred pounds lost, I bet you look like a whole new woman (with some flabby bits). Has your internal image of yourself caught up with your external? That might be contributing to the shyness.
  • AmyRosebud1984
    AmyRosebud1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the tips and feedback! I really appreciate the time you all took to thoughtfully respond to my post and share your own stories. Jgnatca, I think you may be right that my self perception is still a bit skewed. That is part of why I am wanting to go to the gym as opposed to stay shy at home. I am excited to begin to interact with more like-minded people working towards fitness and build in a community and support system. Thank you all again!
  • NoortjeGrolsch
    NoortjeGrolsch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same way you do and it's not easy. But in my experience the key is to find a gym that has a nice and supportive atmosphere.

I'm sorry to disagree with previous comments, but sometimes it is not true that no one cares about what you are doing or what you look like. There's mean people out there and if you Google, you'll see how even some people would sneakily snap a picture of a person with bad posture or bad body image and post it online for some Internet fame.

I used to go to a gym with a mixed crowd and very nice coaches, but I never got over that feeling of insecurity while working out, and one day some teenagers laughed at me while I was doing crunches (I had my headphones on but the music turned off so I heard them). I was so heartbroken I rushed to the dressing room and cried like a child. Later I felt ridiculous for letting some dumb twats get to me that way, but the fact was that the gym had gone from a nice and quiet place to the go-to gym for all these young "swaggers" that wanted to act cool, so I decided to look for something else where I could be more comfortable.

I found a smaller neighbourhood gym in my area with a very mixed crowd and nice staff where everyone seems to really mind their own business

Still, I experienced some additional doses of anxiety last week:
    I signed up for a Crossfit tryout. I told all my friends I was doing it so I couldn't just turn around at the door and quit before starting. I convinced myself that it would be OK because it was an all-beginners tryout lesson so there could be people in bad shape, like me, or performing bad, like me, so I might be alright.
    I was wrong. All other beginners were gorgeously fit except for me, and I was performing much worse than the others, finishing last on most exercises and getting the worst scores, so not exactly a self confident boost, as you can imagine.
    In all honesty, with every exercise and every fail, I was exercising some serious self-deprecation and I was readier than ever to get it over with and go home, never to return again.
    The coaches had been very inclusive and the most supportive guys ever and when the workout was over, I felt like they had read my mind. They said "some of you might have enjoyed, some might go home and never return again, and that's OK if you didn't like it, but don't forget that today you came to a new place, with new people, to try something new and you got out of your comfort zone and did it, and that's already a great accomplishment"
    I realized they were right and I signed up for the intro course.

On my way home I felt proud of myself, and even though I'm going to suck badly next time I do this, and the following, and the time after that, I can only stop sucking if I start getting better at it

• cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have the same anxiety! I tried Crossfit a few years ago and was way over my head there. At any gym I feel like I don't know what I'm doing most of the time. This is a terribly pricy alternative, but I recently paid for a one-on-one personal trainer. It's just me and her for a whole hour. Because it's a small facility that she owns, no one else is there during my hour with her. Not only am I learning how to do just basic exercises, I love the accountability. I can motivate myself in any other area of my life...except this one! It's expensive but I hope to learn a lot and maybe try a group class next month. Good luck!
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I still feel a little anxious when I walk into a larger gym since my usual is a smaller one. Then I remember why I'm there, toss on some headphones and block everything but the weights out of my mind. As for programs I build my own now but I started off by using stuff listed on bodybuilding.com and sites like that. Then I just kind of adapted everything to needs, likes, etc.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I believe just about everyone has felt "gym anxiety" at some point. It's our need to fit in, whether we admit it or not. The important thing to remember is that it's for you and you alone! None of those people matter. What matters is you doing what necessary to better you!

That being said, the tips given are good ones.
    - go at off peak hours
    - take advantage of possible free personal trainer sessions most gyms give
    - take a class (spin and yoga are normally pretty safe places)
    - start with a gym that has a "ladies" area (like LAFitness)
    - get a good set of headphones (helps to focus on you and work to be done)
    - buy a new workout outfit and shoes (that makes us all feel better female or male)

Again, most important thing is get in the gym and spend that time wisely because it's for your benefit. No one else matter during that time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice is go in with a plan.

Research and pick a training plan that you want to try. Know what you are going to do before you step through those doors.

When I don't plan ahead and just go with the flow is when I get into trouble. I don't have an effective workout and I don't feel confident because I'm just lollygagging about.

Go in with your mission. Get it done, and get out.
  • AmyRosebud1984
    AmyRosebud1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm grateful for all the feedback and look forward to moving in to this new phase of fitness.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The way i think of it is everyone started from somewhere... not everyone started being yolked and skinny... they worked to get there... so i dont feel bad that im at a starting spot because when when i get all yolked and skinny i wont look down on the people who are on there own journey... most people dont even care... and the ones that do r the ones who are at the gym for other reasons... WHAT I AM TIRED OF IS GIRLS SITTING THERE LOOKING PRETTY WAITING FOR GUYS TO COME UP TO THEM... like girlll please get off the machine! hahah... try everything once if u dont like it dont use the machine... just do ur research find urself a plan that works for u and do it! everyone starts somewhere