How do you survive parties

Options
with all kinds of unhealthy snacks around, what do you do at a party ???

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    You could.... not eat them?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Unless you attend parties where they hold you down and force feed you high calories in mass amounts, I don't see the problem. As yusak02 said, not eat them? Recovering substance abusers of all ilk (and let's face it over weight people have abused food, a substance) have enjoyed a social life since reforming. We have to do the same. If you don't have room for it in your calorie budget, DON'T EAT IT. The choice is always ours. Gong to a party? Eat before hand, pick and choose your snack. Grab a selser or a water. Mingle, talk, and be mindful of what you take in.

OR. blow the diet for one night and make up for it the rest of the week. The choice is always ours.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat less before a party and allow myself to try a little of everything. A few chips in dip are not going to undo 72 lbs of weight loss :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Like @leggup I try a little of everything... then I dance my butt off cuz that's the fun part of the party!! :smiley:
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Dance! Keeps you away from the food and it's fun :smiley:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If I know a party or BBQ or something is coming up I'll plan my week around it and make sure I have some extra room in the budget. If not I just try to stick with the least damaging items I can find.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    most parties I attend have a pretty wide variety of foods, to usually include more healthful choices. beyond that, I practice portion control and self control...these are good things to learn...you don't have to eat all the foodz just because they are there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to save calories for it the rest of the week, then I just eat what 1) looks good, 2) I never get to eat otherwise. So it might be 400 calories, it might be 2500 if there are nice desserts...
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Portion control. Bring a healthy snack you can share with others. Like a veggie tray or homemade hors d'oeuvres.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I try to save calories during the week or go for an extra run that. Once I'm at the party, I practice portion control and then I remind myself that I'm at a party. If Aunt Marie brought her homemade cannoli that I only get once every year, I'm going to eat at least one.

I've also found that I eat less if I'm dancing, playing yard games, or catching up with people (depending on the type of party). It's hard to eat a ton when you're constantly moving around or talking.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I go to socialize and catch up with friends. Sometimes I forget to eat anything because I am too busy talking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I go to socialize and catch up with friends. Sometimes I forget to eat anything because I am too busy talking.

I'm an introvert, so unfortunately that doesn't work for me, lol.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I can't eat dairy, so it limits my food choices (because come on, who doesn't make appies with loads of cheese). But honestly I don't think about it when I go to a party, because there's usually booze involved. I just make sure I am awesome before and after the party :smiley:
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you do the parties every week or every other week, you can still survive and not get fat if u follow some steps..
    1-eat a healthy high protein meal before party
    2-do not drink cocktails. Go with basic stuff.
    3- drink a pint of water after every glass of alcoholic drink

Follow them and come back to me. I will give you some more tips :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    enjoy myself :) I pick a couple snacks that I really want to try and ignore the rest. I can't resist Oreo balls and or anything with cream cheese so those are usually my winners.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    go full, nibble on something there, drink water or diet soda or other low calorie options, dance or mosey
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a party that didn't have a veggie and/or fruit tray. If I feel the need to munch I munch on that. It's lower cal and easier for me to track.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at parties - I prefer to drink!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat before i go out and survive parties the same way i do at home (my husband eats the opposite of how i do, so there are already plenty of tempting things to eat in my house that i manage not to eat). the only issue i would have is with drinking, i do not drink at home but, i do like guzzling hot dam shots with my best friend a little too much.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The "just don't eat" responses are super helpful. Yes, thank you weight loss geniuses, for offering the helpful insight that eating less aids in weight loss.

Resisting good food and drinks in social situations is probably the biggest struggle a lot of people face. It sure is for me. I would suggest you limit yourself to a few things you REALLY want rather than having some of everything just because it's there. Eat slowly and focus on socializing and less on eating to the extent possible. And with alcohol, try substituting a glass of water between drinks to slow you down. Enjoy yourself and enjoy some good food and drink but remember it's not the last time you'll ever get a chance to have buffalo dip or cupcakes or whatever else, so taste the stuff you want and try to focus on the non-food aspects of the party.