• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I like them when I get in a rush and can't cook

The calories are counted up and some taste good
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I find food that you make is much more satisfying than food that you buy. I will always gravitate towards a sandwich I made at home vs. one I buy, because I know what went in it and if I know what went in it I can more accurately measure its caloric content.

Sure lean cuisine has the nutrition values posted on them but wouldn't you rather not have all the preservatives and enjoy fresh crisp vegetables and know that your food was cooked with olive oil or canola oil vs. some concoction of vegetable oils.

Cook for yourself and you will be much happier at losing weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Id say cook your own the pros are convenience, but they can be quite high in sodium and much more expensive than cooking your own.
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I'm going to go with the convenient frozen food route, I usually go for the Trader Joes options. They have some really good Indian options (Tikka Masala, Lamb Vindaloo) as well as some pasta dishes and other items that are good calorie wise and for me, pretty filling. Cons are that there aren't always a ton of veggies so be sure to watch your nutrients and these also have a lot of sodium so you know, watch out for that.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I used to keep a few in the freezer at my office for those days when I've been caught short on time to prep something for lunch. Once in awhile, they're not bad, but I agree with many of the posters above, they're not overly satisfying and the sodium is usually pretty high. I've started preparing my own "freezer" meals that have macros that work better for me.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i keep a few in my freezer they are very useful great macros (of course everyone is going to say its high in sodium so what) they do actually taste good i love the pizza lean cuisines high in protein low in fat. I consume 3800 cals a day so i cant always eat cooked meals so they help. If you have low macros/cals I wouldnt use them too much because you dont have to eat as often to hit low cals
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    i keep a few in my freezer they are very useful great macros (of course everyone is going to say its high in sodium so what) they do actually taste good

Because too much salt is bad for you as it leads to high blood pressure which in urn is a major cause of heart disease and strokes. Extra salt is often added as a cheap way to add flavour. Cooking your own then you decide whether yo add salt or not. Im sure one or two are fine, but if you let the amounts then you take the risks that go with it. For plenty of people already with high blood pressure or strokes, then it matters.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think they are terrific. Portion and calorie controlled. They can be found very inexpensive so they can help one diet on a budget. Good balance of carbs/protien.

The salt isn't a problem for me personally. I love my salt and it doesn't affect my blood pressure.
  • lornacatherine91
    lornacatherine91 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Very high in sodium, check the ingredients. I prefer to cook so I know exactly what's in my food
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    i keep a few in my freezer they are very useful great macros (of course everyone is going to say its high in sodium so what) they do actually taste good

Because too much salt is bad for you as it leads to high blood pressure which in urn is a major cause of heart disease and strokes. Extra salt is often added as a cheap way to add flavour. Cooking your own then you decide whether yo add salt or not. Im sure one or two are fine, but if you let the amounts then you take the risks that go with it. For plenty of people already with high blood pressure or strokes, then it matters.
    yeah I get that and I never recommended them often I said for someone like myself whom th
    999tigger wrote: »

ya i get that completely and I wasn't saying eat them daily I said they help full out my cals/macros when I need them I don't enjoy fast food nor many tv dinners but it's life sometimes we have to do what we have to do. They work out perfectly for me just all abt balance
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat them sometimes. I like the pizza ones. I take them for lunch at times along with a piece of fruit. It's great that many prefer to cook- but not all of us do. I've got a lot going on and these really work at times for my work lunches.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you like the flavor, knock yourself out. But today for lunch at work I had a piece of leftover baked salmon and fresh green beans. about the same calories as a lean cuisine, less than 4 minutes in the microwave. yesterday I had an aidells chicken sausage and half a bag of steam in bag frozen vegetables. Fewer calories and less time than a Lean Cuisine. i always keep pouches of pre-cooked rice and Tasty Bite Indian food in my desk for the days that I don't bring other food for lunch. . I could go on, but the ultimate point is that, quite apart from the flavor, it is very easy to eat quick, convenient and calorie efficient food without relying on Lean Cuisines.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Do you like them?

If so, they're fine food. They're just food. The only thing is they have a lot of sodium and may cause water retention.

This
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think they're great... Especially for days when you don't have time to cook while at work. I don't buy them anymore, since I started designating my Sundays to preparing and cooking most of my weekly foods. Lean Cuisine are way too expensive though IMO, you can get the same exact thing in Michelina's or Banquet for $1 or so a box.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Maybe for lunch. Otherwise, not enough volume for me. I can make something at home that fills a mixing bowl for 100 more calories.