Advice for easing post-workout soreness?

Options
I run regularly but recently began working with a personal trainer on some other goals. I've had soreness after my workouts, but today my legs are really killing me (more so than usual)! The worst area is the upper part of my right calf. Any tips for recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• MonroeGe
    MonroeGe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard epsom salt baths help alot with soreness! But I'd advise just rotating between a heating pad/ice pack.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    2nd epsom salts. Stretching, yoga, and otherwise just continuing to move will work wonders. Drink lots of water and have a banana or other high potassium foods.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I bought some bananas and Epsom salt today. I have been drinking a lot of water for sure. I'll report back. Thanks so much!
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I massage tiger balm on my legs after a hard cycle and that seems to avoid any soreness the following day
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling followed by static stretching and warm baths with epsom salts. If you're working out tomorrow dynamic stretching and some light cardio for 5 - 10 mins will get you warmed up.
  • cdmanney
    Options
    Foam rolling followed by static stretching and warm baths with epsom salts. If you're working out tomorrow dynamic stretching and some light cardio for 5 - 10 mins will get you warmed up.

The Epsom salt bath did help, but of course I didn't see remarkable improvement until the next day. I know time/rest is the best treatment! I didn't know about the foam rolling idea. Tell me more about "dynamic stretching." Thanks again for all the advice!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Google foam rolling or SMR stretching. There's a number of videos on youtube on how to do it properly. Dynamic stretching uses movement and range of motion. Arm circles, leg swings and walking lunge are examples of dynamic stretching. Check that out on youtube as well :)
  • cdmanney
    Options
    Thank you!