How to accuractely measure shrimp

Options
Hi everyone,

I buy my shrimp with the shell on and sautee as is. I peel after I have cooked it. I'm guessing the nutrition information on MFP is without the shell, and I am measuring on a scale with the shell on prior to cooking.

How can I figure out the accurate measurement of shrimp I am consuming?

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You could save the shells and then weigh them. I'm doubtful the shells add a lot of weight, but you could try it and see.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    google...

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/shrimp-steamed-or-boiled?portionid=9225&portionamount=8.000

my guess would be that there is also a shell on option in the database.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Have you tried scanning the package of shrimp you're using?

They are from the seafood counter and do not come packaged
  • IllustratedxGirl
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    You could save the shells and then weigh them. I'm doubtful the shells add a lot of weight, but you could try it and see.

Ahh I just threw them away! boo.. Wouldn't cooking the shells affect their weight though?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I usually weight it without the shells. I live in Florida our shrimp is fresh, just caught that morning of the day we buy it, so no package information.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

Ahh I just threw them away! boo.. Wouldn't cooking the shells affect their weight though?
    Eh maybe, but I doubt it matters much.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    google...

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/shrimp-steamed-or-boiled?portionid=9225&portionamount=8.000

"Serving Size 8 oz, with shell of raw (yield after cooking, shell removed)" I'm a little confused if this means 8 oz before or after cooking because of the yield after cooking part..
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had shrimp last night. I got a package of lrg 40-61 shrimp at 300 cals. for the whole thing shell on...
  • IllustratedxGirl
    Options
    I think I got it. Thanks everyone! :p
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the sum of the shells might come up to weigh same as one shrimp. If you're THAT concerned...then you're doomed.

That depends. When I buy shrimp they still have their heads on, and you sure don't want to eat those! I've weighed shrimp before and after peeling and arrived at a ballpark figure of about 2/3 edible weight, 1/3 shell weight. These are Greenland shrimp, cooked fresh on the boat.

Whatever the weight, shrimp are a great source of protein for very little fat!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have you tried scanning the package of shrimp you're using?

They are from the seafood counter and do not come packaged

Typically, the shrimp they sell at the counter (unthawed) are the same product as the bagged frozen shrimp right next to the seafood counter. You just have to choose the right size shrimp, e.g. 21/25 or 26/30. The clerk will know the size of the shrimp they are selling you.

Shrimp-Chart.jpg

Additionally, you wouldn't need to remove the shells or weigh them after cooking. Always use the information on the package in their raw form for the most accurate analysis. Some labels will measure in grams/ounces while others will also include an approximate number of shrimp for those grams/ounces, i.e. about 6 shrimp. Test this with your digital scale in their raw state.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    google...

"Serving Size 8 oz, with shell of raw (yield after cooking, shell removed)" I'm a little confused if this means 8 oz before or after cooking because of the yield after cooking part..

This means 8 oz cooked and shelled. The shells do add a fair bit to the weight. On the other hand, shrimp are quite low in calories, so you've got alot of play there. Search the USDA here for shrimp: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods . Take the amount that you cooked with, raw, with shell, and deduct 25% for the weight of shells. My best guess.