Butt Exercises. Are they necessary?

I eat a balanced diet.
Lift heavy.
Are squats + dead-lifts enough to make my friend grow?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Depends on your diet, genetics, technique variations and desired goals.

So...maybe?

Long story short, is your butt growing at a satisfactory rate? If no, more glute volume and more calories. If yes, then proceed as normal.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    From a function POV, weak glutes can contribute to knee problems, so at least some bridging would be helpful.

Check out Strong Curves, that is *the* program for that
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »

So...maybe?

Long story short, is your butt growing at a satisfactory rate? If no, more glute volume and more calories. If yes, then proceed as normal.

Since starting my lifting journey, I really haven't thought about it. My main focus has been my arms + abs. I think it's too early to see any difference in my body other than maybe a smaller belly. Too much fat to see gains. However, now that it is on my mind I'd like to starting adding exercises now rather than later.

Why more calories?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    From a function POV, weak glutes can contribute to knee problems, so at least some bridging would be helpful.

I second strong curves. That program has a heavy emphasis on glutes/butt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

So...maybe?

Since starting my lifting journey, I really haven't thought about it. My main focus has been my arms + abs. I think it's too early to see any difference in my body other than maybe a smaller belly. Too much fat to see gains. However, now that it is on my mind I'd like to starting adding exercises now rather than later.

Why more calories?

to grow the muscle you have to provide your body with a surplus of energy. without a surplus of energy, your butt isn't going to grow...

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member

So...maybe?

Why more calories?

More calories were suggested since you said you want to grow your bum. So, that's building muscle and it requires calories.

If you're losing fat, then the exercises will help retain what you have. Once I hit maintenance and started recomp, I added weighted and one-leg hip thrusts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Not completely. Squats and deadlifts don't hit the flutes as thoroughly as many people think. Take your butt to bretcontreras.com
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    So in working a particular muscle group we are actually creating tears in the fiber. We repair when we rest so be diligent with getting a good amount of sleep. Also, make sure to eat enough. The first calories we eat are used to fuel our daily needs like keeping your heart beating and brain thinking. If we go into deficit it starts to go to our fuel centers like fat and muscle. So to "grow" a butt you need to add calories like good proteins and carbs. Unlike decreasing fat storage, increasing muscle can be spot focused. You may never have J Lo's butt but you can have the best butt for you with the right plan.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    Not completely. Squats and deadlifts don't hit the flutes as thoroughly as many people think. Take your butt to bretcontreras.com

The Glutes are the primary mover during the concentric portion of the Squat and have the highest peak activation. Now it would be very true to say that they don't hit the hamstrings as much as some think.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

The Glutes are the primary mover during the concentric portion of the Squat and have the highest peak activation. Now it would be very true to say that they don't hit the hamstrings as much as some think.

http://dannyomokhablog.com/2014/04/27/squats-vs-hip-thrusts-which-is-better-for-the-glutes/

Squats target lower glutes, not upper ones as much. So, while an excellent exercise, not enough by themselves to achieve max glute development. That's my only point.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member

http://dannyomokhablog.com/2014/04/27/squats-vs-hip-thrusts-which-is-better-for-the-glutes/

Squats target lower glutes, not upper ones as much. So, while an excellent exercise, not enough by themselves to achieve max glute development. That's my only point.

And it's something I will now look into so thank you for saying something.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I've been following this series. You might find it interesting:

Squats Versus Hip Thrusts
  • GluteralGoddess
    GluteralGoddess Posts: 5 Member
    Another one for Strong Curves. I've been doing it for a month now and I can feel a huge difference...this is after squatting and deadlifting for years with little results.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Stiff leg deadlifts first

Kettle bell swings next and do them squeezing glutes on the upward swing.

They work the bum for sure. My trainer had me add those for that reason.

You will feel it. It does add hamstring and bubble bum shape.

I used to have no booty. It works.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    I'm no expert, but my butt is still sore from 1 legged leg presses two days ago.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

LOVE me some Strong Curves. <3
    My husband has been especially pleased with the results thus far. :p

• teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    I eat a balanced diet.
    Lift heavy.
    Are squats + dead-lifts enough to make my friend grow?

I work my booty like CRAZY and I love her now :)

My booty routine consists of...

Dead lifts
    Deep squat pulse, no weight
    Straight leg kickbacks
    Hip Thrusts
    Weights squats on a Smith machine
    The last one I don't know the name, but I have a barbell on my shoulders and hinge forward at the waste, back straight and using my gluteus shoot back up to a straight up position.

• Sam_I_Am77
    edited August 2015

Yes, to limit ones-self to just squats alone for any strength development is not good and can lead to poor overall development. It's interesting that the author tries to average the exertion between the eccentric and the concentric, didn't entirely make sense to me. There are definitely many good ways to work your posterior. :)

edit: Another thing to think about this is that not everybody can squat well right out of the gate, especially those that are previously untrained and have poor glute development. In cases like that it would be wise to take 4 weeks and work on your lower body a little differently in order to progress into squats.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    None grew for me till I started with sumo squats and heavier bar squats. Press leg wasn't really good,well for quads...
  • Sam_I_Am77
    None grew for me till I started with sumo squats and heavier bar squats. Press leg wasn't really good,well for quads...

The leg press is not a good exercise for anything but the quads really. Muscle activation depends a lot on the design of the machine itself, but many leg press machines start with a flexed hip position and the hips are never really allowed to extends which minimizes, if not eliminates, gluteal activation depending on the machine.