how do you guys eat your porridge?

Options
mmutluaydin
mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
Hi all,
I eat my morning porridge with some cinnemon and protein powder. How do you guys make the porridge taste more bearable?

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Various combinations of: Cinnamon, protein powder, vanilla extract, honey, bananas
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Nearly always overnight oats soaked in regular yogurt and fruit. I sprinkle nuts on top. There might be cinnamon in there.

In the winter I would set steel cut oats to simmer in water on the stove with some currants and go for my run. I would eat it on my return with Greek Yogurt.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Either granulated sugar or honey.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    if i have them during the week, I just add a little salt and some blueberries.

on weekends i like to cook them in chicken stock and then add a little fish sauce and soy sauce...throw a poached egg on top with some sauteed mushrooms, ginger, and jalapeno...then some cilantro, green onions, and bean sprouts and then dress that with the juice of 1/2 a lime...sriracha as appropriate to your desired level of burn.
  • tinaolsson
    tinaolsson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When I eat it I eat it with cinnamon and milk.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have made it a few ways, w/raisins, milk, sugar, butter...chocolate or strawberry sauce...chia seeds....yogurt, milk and molasses...that's all I can think of right now.
  • cilleriania
    cilleriania Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love my porridge breaky - dryish porridge made with water not milk with frozen blueberries and/or raspberries, hemp seeds or nuts and cinnamon stirred through. Served with cottage cheese or plain yoghurt.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    pure maple syrup and walnuts
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you mean oatmeal, I don't. I've tried everything in an effort to learn to like it but the texture is slimy no matter how I disguise it. But I like anything baked with oatmeal and I love raw oatmeal cookie dough.
  • mmutluaydin
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    if i have them during the week, I just add a little salt and some blueberries.

on weekends i like to cook them in chicken stock and then add a little fish sauce and soy sauce...throw a poached egg on top with some sauteed mushrooms, ginger, and jalapeno...then some cilantro, green onions, and bean sprouts and then dress that with the juice of 1/2 a lime...sriracha as appropriate to your desired level of burn.

I heard people eating it with salt. But I never heard of the other things you mentioned. I will try some this weekend when I have more time for breakfast. Thanks ;)
  • mmutluaydin
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    pure maple syrup and walnuts

I have never had porridge with any nuts. I eat them before bed with cottage cheese. Don't you think the syrup has a bit of blank calories or is there any 0 calorie maple syrup?
  • mmutluaydin
    Options
    Thank you for the comments, everyone. I have got some ideas, will try some of them
  • jennasd
    jennasd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats, ginger, fresh fruit, some walnuts and a bit of honey.... fantastic!
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have my oatmeal w brown sugar and runny cream which is my absolute favourite yum
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love porridge! I buy Quaker Oats pre flavoured ones. Golden syrup is my favourite.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I love porridge! I buy Quaker Oats pre flavoured ones. Golden syrup is my favourite.

I used to buy the golden syrup ones but when trying to save money I bought a massive bag of rolled oats for like £1 and a big jar of golden syrup. Tastes loads better than the pre flavoured ones and much cheaper :)

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I love porridge and do'nt eat it with anything but milk before i went vegan and now only soy or rice milk. If you don't like it could it be because you don't add salt to it when cooking it? It needs salt.

Other than that, if you don't like it, don't eat it. There are so many other healthy things you can eat for breakfast.
  • mmutluaydin
    Options
    I eat my eggs for breakfat at home. When it's porridge time, i am at work and have it with cinnemon and protein powder. But i will deffinetely try it with salt.