EXHAUSTED after lifting!

Options

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe 30 mins of SL if you're anywhere past the beginning of running it. Just starting off, sure, with the just the bar, as I did a couple years ago was under 30 mins but by the time I hit week 7 or 8….no way. Heck at week 12 I was having trouble with fitting it in for 60 mins.
    You are adding weight weekly correct?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Stronglifts is a full body power lifting program that is meant to be done with little to no accessory work. All the other stuff you're throwing in pretty much explains why your so tired. If you're doing power lifts, you have to rest your nervous system between sets.

If you want to add isolation work, I think you should move on to another program like PHUL.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have never done weights for more than 2 weeks. I get too exhausted from it and stop and go straight back to cardio.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Basically how I do it, is I switch moves fairly quickly without too much just sitting around doing nothing (im not one to sit and stare at my cellphone while im at the gym)

I do 5x OHP, get down and do some hip thrusts, Do 5x OHP, get down do some clams. Then I might do 2x5 OHP, do more hip thrusts, then OHP - prep for next lift. I do my 5x5 squats with breaks. Then I will likely do 5x bench, do some hip thrusts...you get the point. I just dont do the same muscle back to back, but rest the legs - do the arms and viceversa. During my entire workout, I have a Turbo Fire workout playing on the tv. If I need to shake out my muscles, I will get up and do a bit of that then continue with the weights. 1 hour total, about 50% cardio/50% weights on average.

ETA - I do 1 day with the workout A plan, then the next with Workout B plan...but always with turbo and some extra strong curves moves. Every 2-3 days. Walking/cycling very light on my days off.

"What should I do between sets?
    Stay focused. Avoid talking with people or playing with your phone (unless it’s for using my app, haha). Socializing is great before or after your workout, but not during. You don’t want to get distracted, end up resting 15 minutes between your sets, get cold and lose focus, and then miss reps.
    What works is to sit on a bench and visualize yourself doing the next set with proper form. I like to stand or walk a bit around between my sets. But I don’t like it when people start talking too much, especially on Squats. You have to stay focused because this is key to get stronger.
    Don’t superset your exercises. Don’t Squat five reps, then Bench five reps and go back to Squatting five reps. You must rest between exercises so your body can recover for the next set. If you superset your exercises you’ll exhaust yourself and will lift less weight. The goal is to lift heavy. Rest between sets so you an lift heavy.
    Read more: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/#What_should_I_do_between_sets
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Basically how I do it, is I switch moves fairly quickly without too much just sitting around doing nothing (im not one to sit and stare at my cellphone while im at the gym)

I do 5x OHP, get down and do some hip thrusts, Do 5x OHP, get down do some clams. Then I might do 2x5 OHP, do more hip thrusts, then OHP - prep for next lift. I do my 5x5 squats with breaks. Then I will likely do 5x bench, do some hip thrusts...you get the point. I just dont do the same muscle back to back, but rest the legs - do the arms and viceversa. During my entire workout, I have a Turbo Fire workout playing on the tv. If I need to shake out my muscles, I will get up and do a bit of that then continue with the weights. 1 hour total, about 50% cardio/50% weights on average.

ETA - I do 1 day with the workout A plan, then the next with Workout B plan...but always with turbo and some extra strong curves moves. Every 2-3 days. Walking/cycling very light on my days off.

Why?
    Why not just follow one program as written?
  • dakotababy
    Options
    Hell, even days when I just do the lifting with no cardio (as when I am lifting again, I try to drop my cardio before I drop the weights) I still get wiped. In fact, doing the cardio helps me some what keep my energy up for longer after a workout. If I didnt do cardio...I would likely only be able to pull off half of my lifts and then crash.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have never done weights for more than 2 weeks. I get too exhausted from it and stop and go straight back to cardio.

So how long have you been lifting this time?
  • dakotababy
    Options

Why?

Honestly? It is boring as *kitten*. I like stronglifts, but it does nothing for my *kitten*.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Why?

Honestly? It is boring as *kitten*. I like stronglifts, but it does nothing for my *kitten*.

Then why not run Strong Curves if that is your priority?
  • jemhh
    Options
    What is your *****?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is your *****?
    hit the quote button on her post and you will see it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What is your *****?

If you quote you can read it. It is her buttocks.
    Not sure why the extra stars. LOL
  • kami3006
    Options
    If you want to lift and not be exhausted then you need to pick a program and do it correctly; rest and all. If your bum is your focus then do strong curves or another program that allows for more accessory work.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Running around the weight room like a newbie lifter on crack, super setting the bejeezus out of everything and not eating enough isn't going to help your butt either.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

When you're supersetting EVERYTHING you're essentially adding cardio to your workout. Which....nothing wrong with that as I do it practically every day. But I don't wonder why I'm sweating bullets and exhausted after either.
  • jemhh
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think that supersets are great and have their place. But if you are doing a program that has you adding weight the way SL does because you're a newb, I think you're working close enough to your maxes that you need the rests.

I do 531. Wendler suggests pullups, pushups, etc between sets. But he also suggests eating plenty and that program has you work at a lower % of your max most the time.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ???? Granted I'm not running SL5x5 anymore but my wife specifically said "hmmm, you actually have an *kitten* now that you're lifting" after running 2 12 week cycles. Before it was "you just have a crack running up your lower back"….
  • kami3006
    Options
    ???? Granted I'm not running SL5x5 anymore but my wife specifically said "hmmm, you actually have an *kitten* now that you're lifting" after running 2 12 week cycles. Before it was "you just have a crack running up your lower back"….

Yes, it'll certainly help with your rear but then OP has never lifted for more than 2 weeks at a time.
  • jemhh
    Options
    You're also not going to see much butt improvement in just 2 weeks, if that's all the longer you've been at it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Lol. Well, know you know why.