net calories

Options
what does net calories mean???? i don't get it!

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Please see this article, and many other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-
  • Mellieanne1019
    Mellieanne1019 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you very helpful
  • Sotanax
    Sotanax Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I are @ 3211 yesterday and burned 2752. Net of @459, yet I am gaining weight each day. These numbers are pretty typical for me. I am 153 lbs 47 y/o male at 5' 10". Thoughts?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sotanax wrote: »
    I are @ 3211 yesterday and burned 2752. Net of @459, yet I am gaining weight each day. These numbers are pretty typical for me. I am 153 lbs 47 y/o male at 5' 10". Thoughts?

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories
    3211 - 2752 = 459
    The positive sign indicates you are in a Calorie surplus, so you will be gaining.
    If your goal is to lose weight or maintain, you need to eat less, move more, or do both.
    If your goal is to gain weight, you are in a surplus to gain about 1 pound per week.

• Sotanax
    Options
    So when I start my day and diary reads 2210 as the goal, I exercise away 2752 which means I needed to take in 2210 + 2752 = 4962 for that day. If this statement is true and I ate 3211. The result is -1751 Net. I am not in surplus then. This is what I am referring to. Sorry I didn't mention that this system starts you at needing at least 1500 cal per day as a male so you have to account for that somewhere.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What exactly are you doing to exercise away 2752 calories a day? That's pretty extreme!

ETA: I'm a fool and forgot that I also burn 2300ish a day sitting on my *kitten*.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    I really don't get it I guess I'm having a blonde moment cause mine number never negative always positive
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    I need to loose weight don't wanna gain hash
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people, like to get an idea of how many calories they've eaten and exercised away,Mao they keep track of "net calories."

I don't bother with it. Watching my gross calories, macros and micros is enough...sometimes more than enough for me.

It's just a personal preference thing.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    Yeah I don't get the macros and micros either so please explain it to me
  • Sotanax
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    What exactly are you doing to exercise away 2752 calories a day? That's pretty extreme!

ETA: I'm a fool and forgot that I also burn 2300ish a day sitting on my *kitten*.

That's a lot of leg lifting and butt flexing to burn that much sitting...

I run 10 - 12 miles in the morning then another 9 - 11 at night.
    I am not TRYING to lose weight, but trying to determine what is causing the increase simply based on what I eat, when I eat and what I burn. That is what this system is based on.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

I am not TRYING to lose weight, but trying to determine what is causing the increase simply based on what I eat, when I eat and what I burn. That is what this system is based on.
    Your body has probably gotten very efficient at running so your burn count may be too high. A heart rat monitor may give you a more accurate reading.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Macronutrients=fat, protein, and carbohydrates
    Micronutrients=vitamins and minerals
    Yes it is basically that simple. When people talk about going low fat or carb or high protein they are simply changing the % of calories from the 3 macro nutrient groups.
    In the beginning, I would suggest staying with the MFP presets until you learn more and figure out what works for you.
  • Mellieanne1019
    Options
    Ok I gotcha thanks guys
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Everyone tries to overcomplicate the answer, but in most cases when this happens you're either overestimating your burn, or underestimating your comsumption. Or you haven't given it enough time and you'll start losing eventually.
  • angela075mfp
    angela075mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Currently at 4:11 pm my app shows following:
    Goal 1200 - Food 1039 + Exercise 81 (from step calorie adjustment) = Remaining 242
    If nothing else changes, I should lose weight due to the fact I have calories remaining. CORRECT?