Diet advice please :)

Options
Hi, please could you have a look at my typical daily diet below and advise if you think I am lacking in anything nutrient wise. It's more of a long term healthy eating plan now as I am almost at goal weight and just losing the last few pounds slowly and surely. I am happy with the calorie content of my diet, I always eat well above my basic minimum (1200) I exercise everyday, nothing too strenuous, but always at least an hour a day. The diet below is my Monday to Friday diet, I don't have a plan for weekends as we enjoy eating out, or I enjoy baking etc.... Anyway as I say I'm happy with calories, exercise and weekends usually balance each other out! I just want to make sure I am not seriously lacking in anything essential.

Many thanks for taking time to help :)

Breakfast, cereal (usually weetabix or shreddies) with fruit (usually banana or apple)
I drink approx 1 pint of semi skimmed milk a day in cereal and coffees (decaf coffee)

Lunch, homemade soup (I do different flavours, all contain 3 different veg plus seasoning)
Low fat natural yogurt
Small handful of nuts (usually pistachio or cashew)

Evening meal, homemade dinner alway containing protein (ie, fish, meat, baked beans), carbs (ie, potato, rice, pasta) and veg.
Typical examples are, fish pie, homemade veg pizza, spaghetti Bol, chicken breast new potatoes & veg, fish rice & veg, etc etc.....

Snack, small chocolate :) usually curly wurly (115 calories!) please don't suggest I give this up, it's my little 'treat' :)

I know I need to drink more water, I am trying to work on that.

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Thank you

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    There's not a whole lot of protein in there, unless I'm missing something.
  • 1976lisa1976
    1976lisa1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same, but hoped that the daily milk, yogurt and nuts would be enough protein (as well as the evening meal)
  • 1976lisa1976
    Options
    Forgot to thank you for replying! Sorry
  • magpie_17
    magpie_17 Posts: 124
    Options
    I'd try to work a little more protein into lunch and snacks - a hard boiled egg as a snack, maybe some meat in the soup, etc. Protein will help keep you full, and something like yogurt can hide high amounts of sugar, etc., whereas the meat or eggs will give you that boost without the sugar spike. Also, I'm assuming rice/pasta is whole grain/brown? Otherwise, looks good to me!!
  • alicialawes
    Options
    Maybe try Bran Flakes in the mornings? They are full of fiber and protein x
  • dranceboogie
    Options
    I am a little on the same boat with my diet, almost there! Congrats! I use the percentages on the mobile app to keep a 40/40/20% carb/protein/fat daily diet. It helps to be this specific when you're trying to lose the last bit of weight, and the results are slooooow to come, but they do :) I also workout 5-6 days a week, but everyone's needs are different. Maybe read up on different proportions to find one that works for you.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lack of protein. Try switching to steel cut oats or eggs in the morning (cereal is something I personally don't enjoy or see too much benefit in) or make a morning shake/smoothie. Instead of making soup, try adding chicken or turkey and let it reduce into a stew....that way it'll change things up and make you feel a bit fuller.

Dinner looks good, but make sure your portion on protein is up to par. I cringe when I see people put 1 slice of pounded chicken breast and think its enough.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I agree with the lack of protein. Try switching to steel cut oats or eggs in the morning (cereal is something I personally don't enjoy or see too much benefit in) or make a morning shake/smoothie. Instead of making soup, try adding chicken or turkey and let it reduce into a stew....that way it'll change things up and make you feel a bit fuller.

Dinner looks good, but make sure your portion on protein is up to par. I cringe when I see people put 1 slice of pounded chicken breast and think its enough.
  • 1976lisa1976
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I use the mobile app but usually workout my own calories and then 'create' a food myself so the app doesn't give me accurate nutrient detail, maybe I need to change how I log my food!
    I eat natural yogurt, so no sugar etc :)
    Will definitely have bran flakes, I like those :)
    Think I may look into adding lentils to the soup, would this be enough or would just eating an egg be better (ie more protein per calories?)
    Thanks so much for all the advice so far!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are asking?? Are you finding you are hungry? Bored with your food choices? Or just want to know if you are making healthy choices?

Switching to a lot of protein is really helping me I feel better feel fuller and my body is starting to change again. i have to really think about my choices though in order to get enough protein. i automatically go for fruit and veggies. I have think about it to go for egg salad or cheese or something. I'm getting pretty good at it though. I was supposed to have my egg salad for snack today, but it looks like it's turning into lunch for me.

if you're feeling hungry i'd do a spinach salad with crumbled feta and whatever other veggies you like with dinner as well as a nice portion of protein. I usually eat 2 fish filets or 6-8 oz of chicken or 1/2lb of pork chops or 6-8 oz of steak. Really helps get it up there. I don't need protein powder everyday anymore. I'm trying to cut it out completely, not quite there yet. Or throw some tuna into a salad.

Your diet looks fine overall. Do you always eat the same foods for a reason? Or just for ease? (that's just me being nosey lol) I love plain greek yogurt (1/2c has 12g protein if you go with chobani) mixed with cinnamon whipped honey or fruit and granola. Very filling.
  • 1976lisa1976
    Options
    I'm asking purely to make sure I'm making healthy choices, I'm happy with how full I feel. It does seem like a boring diet as its the same almost everyday but I enjoy that, it also helps me to feel in control of what I'm eating. I just want to make sure it's heathly and well balanced, I was a little concerned over protein content and that's what others have noticed too so now I know what I need to address, and getting some really good advice too :)
  • 1976lisa1976
    Options
    Cranshinibon, I thought cereal was a heathly carb choice for breakfast (obviously sugar free) is this not the case?!