Rabbit Soup Calories

Options
Hi Guys
I wonder if it is right or wrong that Rabbit soup (boiled in water, Cardamom, Mastic, Bay leave salt and pepper) contains 196 calories while Rabbit meat (100 gm) contains 136 Calories

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/dratefs/q_zps5ivv4hmf.jpg

Please confirm or correct the right Calories..thanks in advance

Atef Sawi

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder, enter and weigh your ingredients. It will let you know how many calories are in each serving.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,096 Member
    Options
    When I make soup this is what I do - weigh the empty container the soup is made in. Enter all ingredients as per any recipe on recipe builder.
    Weigh the full container. Subtract the empty container weight and there is weight of the total soup.
    Divide by 100 and call it that many 100g serves.

Example - total soup weight is 2500 so that would be 25 x 100g serves.
    Tell the recipe builder it serves 25.

Each time you have some soup weigh the amount - I find an average bowl is usually around 400g therefore 4 serves.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That looks close as rabbit is low calorie and the mastic gum is a small amount and also low calorie.
    Weigh the rabbit raw.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I wish I did.
    dratefs wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I wonder if it is right or wrong that Rabbit soup (boiled in water, Cardamom, Mastic, Bay leave salt and pepper) contains 196 calories while Rabbit meat (100 gm) contains 136 Calories

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q182/dratefs/q_zps5ivv4hmf.jpg

Please confirm or correct the right Calories..thanks in advance

Atef Sawi
    If you don't mind me asking, how do you know those are the ingredients for the rabbit soup listed in the MFP database. Isn't at least one ingredient missing, namely rabbit? Not sure what Mastic is but there likely aren't 196 calories per cup in what's listed, assuming we knew what the quantities were.
    Use the recipe builder, enter and weigh your ingredients. It will let you know how many calories are in each serving.
    Right, that's how you do it with most stuff but soups might present a different problem. Often what you are doing is building a broth stock combination with solid ingredients that get simmered in water for a long time, extracting flavors and nutrients into the liquid, and then the solids get taken out, maybe thrown away. Are the calories and nutrients the same as if you had just eaten the solids and drank the water separately? I don't think it is, but I don't know how else to figure it. If you try to look up the nutritional values of collagen you end up in the pseudoscience health food swamp. I tried to ask the same thing in the "I am a pro cook and amateur nutritionist so ask me anything" thread, but the question didn't get addressed.

PaperPudding, If Dr. Atef is making his soup from store-bought rabbit broth and skinless, boneless rabbit breasts then, assuming we can get the nutritional content of mastic, all he has to do is follow your example. If he's making his own stock though, he's going to have the same problem I'll have later today when I make a smoked pigtail pork broth for my turnips and greens.

Atef, Thank you for your question. Like I said, I don't know, but I hope we both find out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,096 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't make any soups where solid ingredients are taken out before consuming( you mean like soup bones?)

My soups are simple things like pumpkin soup - diced pumpkin,onion, carrot, potato, stock cubes, water, spices, sour cream - cook vegies till soft enough to be mashable , mash with blender, add cream - voila: soup!
  • OldHobo
    Options
    I don't make any soups where solid ingredients are taken out before consuming( you mean like soup bones?)
    My soups are simple things like pumpkin soup - diced pumpkin,onion, carrot, potato, stock cubes, water, spices, sour cream - cook vegies till soft enough to be mashable , mash with blender, add cream - voila: soup!
    Soup bones, chicken carcass, chicken feet, chicken lips, pig tails, ham hocks, cattle feet (hoofs), various critter heads, fish head, tails, fins and bones. Shrimp heads, tails & shells. Not to mention vegetable peels & such. I could go on and on.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Good point on the broth. I usually just strain, chill and skim the fat off then count it as 15 calories per cup or so - like store bought stock.
    I haven't made my own stock since joining MFP and for the past 12 years I've only counted calories, not macros. Hmm...
  • OldHobo
    Options
    Good point on the broth. I usually just strain, chill and skim the fat off then count it as 15 calories per cup or so - like store bought stock.
    I haven't made my own stock since joining MFP and for the past 12 years I've only counted calories, not macros. Hmm...
    When you get so much collagen in that stock that it sets hard in the ice box. I suspect it's pretty calorie dense.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Mine is never crazy thick - usually thin, and even my rabbit stock is thinner. Maybe I use more water than most.