Fitbit Zip or Fitbit Obe?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've used the Zip for about 18 month and have loved it. Initially I got it because it was all I could afford, but now I think if I had it to do over again and somebody gave me $100+ I would still get the Zip ($50). It is discreet - I wear it on my waist, pocket, or bra (and on a headband during water aerobics). Nobody knows I have it on, which I love. All I need is a count of steps, really, so it does more than I'm actually after. I like being able to look at my stats on the website and being involved in challenges with my friends. All I need is the Zip for those things. I also like that it has a replaceable battery vs having to worry about recharging it. The Zip tells me via it's screen, the website, and email when my battery is low. In 18 months I've replaced the battery three times. I think FitBit will give you a good experience no matter which model you get though.
  • shells0715
    shells0715 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Do the one and zip both have secure sturdy clips? I think I'd wear mine on waistband/belt
  • shells0715
    Options
    Also were did you get yours?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    shells0715 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! Do the one and zip both have secure sturdy clips? I think I'd wear mine on waistband/belt

I wore them clipped to the inside of my pocket. Still somehow lost the One from there.

You can pretty much buy them at any retailer...Target, Best Buy, sporting goods stores, Amazon...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have had my Zip for over two years now. I really wasn't concerned with the sleep and stairs features so that's why I went with that instead of the One.

Like malibu927 said you can find them at any retailer. I would suggest getting it from one of those places instead of trying to save a few bucks by getting it on ebay. I've heard some stories from others who have bought them on there only to receive one that is defective or missing parts/accessories. Not only that, if something were to happen to it you are out of luck. If you get one through an authorized dealer Fitbit's customer service will replace a defective, lost, or damaged Fitbit at no charge (for the first year).
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Just a tip if you get the One (and probably same for zip) - wear it facing inward. I.e. if you clip it to your waist, pocket or bra, have the display facing you. Occasionally the silicone sleeve will stretch a little, or you rub against a counter or something and it can pop out. Since wearing it facing me, I have never had any issues like that at all. I have had the same One for 3+ years (had several other earlier versions before it came out). The silicone case is totally falling apart, but I still use it (too cheap to shell out $15 for a replacement :) ). I love it...
  • shells0715
    Options
    Thank you! It sounds like if I don't care about tracking sleep or floors then the fitbit zip is all I need and I would save some money too. I just wanted to make sure the designs were about the same such as a sturdy clip or if one was more rugged then the other. I do use the stairclimber at the gym a lot but I don't mind that exercise counting as steps instead of floors climbed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It sounds like if I don't care about tracking sleep or floors then the fitbit zip is all I need and I would save some money too. I just wanted to make sure the designs were about the same such as a sturdy clip or if one was more rugged then the other. I do use the stairclimber at the gym a lot but I don't mind that exercise counting as steps instead of floors climbed.

The stairs feature is useless anyway. Any atmospheric pressure change can be considered going up a flight of stairs. I did nothing one day and my One said I climbed ten flights!
  • shells0715
    Options
    haha that is good to know :)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

The stair climber doesnt really work for counting stairs with the One anyway - it measures elevation change, so if your head basically stays in the same place it has no idea you went up a flight of stairs. When I go for a hike, say up 200 feet regardless of how gradual or how steep, it counts about 20 flights of stairs. Basically it says you burn a few more calories for stairs, so by counting as steps instead you are underestimating - which I prefer anyway. I ignore the flights feature, though it does factor into my calorie burn since I am using the One.

Zip sounds perfect for you. I bought one for my mom - the battery is supposed to last 6 months, but hers never made it more than a month so we gave up on it. Should have returned it and just tried another one.
  • shells0715
    Options
    That's my only concern with the Zip! I've re
  • shells0715
    Options
    I've read that the battery can go out quickly. Anyone else have this problem with their Zip? I also want to make sure it will sync effectively so I can do the fun challenges :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've read that the battery can go out quickly. Anyone else have this problem with their Zip? I also want to make sure it will sync effectively so I can do the fun challenges :)

I replace my battery about twice a year.
  • shells0715
    Options
    Oh well that's not bad! Have you had any issues with syncing to the app?
  • shells0715
    Options
    Thanks for the input :). That is true about the battery vs chargeable battery :). I've also heard good things about the Microsoft Bans.
    DoreenaV1975 I hope you enjoy your Zip! I'm more looking to be motivated by getting my steps in and doing challenges on the Fitbit site. I don't think I really need the sleep tracking.

Thanks! I currently log my steps by an app on my phone and I love seeing that number go up and seeing the estimate of the calories burned! Very motivating!
    Only problem is I don't always have my phone on me...
    If I don't have pockets and don't want to/can't carry it in my hand then, if I think about it, I'll shove it in my bra, LOL! It's big and cumbersome though...
    But a lot of times I just forget it.
    W/ the ZIP I can attach it to my bra in the morning and leave it there until I go to bed (although when I get home I immediately take off my bra :D... so I may need to move it to my waist band). The ZIP will definitely be more convenient and lighter!

• shells0715
    Options
    Yes much more convenient then carrying phone around. Did your Zip come in the mail yet?
  • shells0715
    Options
    My husband ended up surprising me with the Fitbit One :)
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes much more convenient then carrying phone around. Did your Zip come in the mail yet?

No...should be here on Monday though! :)