IF: Random vs Scheduled

Options
I have been intrigued by the concept of Intermittent Fasting since I first heard of it. However, I've failed at all of my attempts in the past. I feel that I would do better with IF (16/8 or 14/10) if I had a work schedule that allowed me to break my fast at a consistent time from day to day. I am not quite "up to" attempting a 24 hour fast either. My day off from work often involves spending time at friends' houses. They all have young children, and I feel like I need to eat SOMETHING at mealtimes simply because I don't want to set a poor example for the children.

I do refuse to eat anything from midnight to around 7 or 8am depending on when I wake up. Most nights, I stop eating by 10 or 11. That's about the extent of it.

I am wondering if, perhaps, there may be benefit from skipping random meals during the week. For example, today, I won't get a lunch break during work. I am planning on drinking a smoothie (carrot [about a pound], [1 cup each] mango, pineapple, coconut water, and half a cup of orange mango juice). ((I've replaced a couple meals this week with fruit and vegetable smoothies and/or just fruits and vegetables)). However, it's usually pretty easy for me to just skip lunch altogether when I only have 15 minutes to eat.

Every other Wednesday night, I end up getting home after 10pm without dinner. On those nights, it might just be easier to skip dinner entirely.

Each day has different meals that are easier to skip. Earlier work days, skipping breakfast is easier; days without a 30 minute break, skipping lunch is.

And, perhaps, I may also attempt a 24 hour fast. How would you suggest going about that? Not eating at all on a specific day (say, 12am to 11:59pm Saturday- though that would actually mean I'd be fasting longer since I wouldn't be breaking my fast until around 9am Sunday)? Or stopping all food by 7pm on Friday and not eating again until 7pm Saturday (so I still eat SOMETHING each day). How do I prepare to do a fast like this? Should I do it on a day I work, or a day I'm off? (I'm torn about what seems ideal). Would spending some time doing less intense fasts (like only eating fruits and vegetables for certain periods of time) be beneficial?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What benefit are you trying to achieve from fasting?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you think skipping certain meals due to work timing makes things easier for you and you're not too hungry doing it, then go for it. I don't see why you're thinking of doing a 24 hours fast, though?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If you think skipping certain meals due to work timing makes things easier for you and you're not too hungry doing it, then go for it. I don't see why you're thinking of doing a 24 hours fast, though?

This.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    With that schedule I'm not sure it's worth it. I do 16:8 because it's convenient. 2 meals, very simple eating schedule. Trying to force a schedule when yours is never the same is going to be difficult