Help, what to eat for lunch

Options
Hi everyone,

I have have been bring my lunch to work for a few weeks, but I am tired of cold cuts, smoothies, and salads. Can anyone give me some advice of healthy options for lunch. I eat tons of fruit and always incorporate some type of fruit in lunch, but I am at a lose for other healthy options.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I find bringing leftovers from my healthy dinner to be the easiest thing. If I only have leftover meat, I sometimes add that and some frozen greens (which I always have) to canned soup or beans for a quick and tasty lunch.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave?

I'm another who commonly brings leftovers from dinner. I pack it up when I'm plating out dinner.

I also sometimes slow cook a big hunk of meat (a turkey leg works well, but lots of different things) and then make up a few lunches in advance with the meat, some potato or sweet potato, and veggies (or I might add the vegetables later). One advantage to this is that I end up slow cooking cuts like lamb shanks or pork shoulder that take too long to cook quickly for dinners.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love getting one of those rotisserie chickens from the deli, I can get a week's worth of meat for lunch out of that. My deli also has things like turkey, meatloaf and ribs all packed up and ready to go. Today I brought hummus with rice chips and vegetables, and I always like soup.
    Like the other posters have said, leftovers is the easiest because you only have to cook once.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I bring left overs. I cook on Sunday and I eat that all week. I eat out Wednesday night and sometimes Thursday- otherwise left overs for lunch- eggs and bacon for dinner. I'm boring- been eating that way for almost 5 years.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My go-tos, other than leftovers:
    (1) pouches of rice and Indian or Thai food (e.g., TastyBite products, although Trader Joes also has their own line). They are shelf stable, so i can keep them in quantity at my desk and they take barely a minute on the microwave. A generous serving of Lentil Dal and rice is approx 250 caliories; (2) Aidell's Italian chicken sausage, together with either a fresh vegetable or steam in bag frozen veggies. Also approx 250 calories and about 5 minutes of microwave time.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Chicken sandwiches/toasties. (Carbs (bread)/protein (Chicken)/veg (salad etc).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    All food can be eaten for lunch. You don't have to limit yourself to luncheon meats and salads.

Can you make more for dinner the night before and bring leftovers?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    All food can be eaten for lunch. You don't have to limit yourself to luncheon meats and salads.

Can you make more for dinner the night before and bring leftovers?

same goes for breakfast. My coworkers get weird about my chili for mid morning snack- but whatever- gets the job done.
  • Bonitabarista
    Bonitabarista Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is to meal prep. You don't have to do this for every day but I like to make some sort of salmon or chicken for lunch and heat it up (or even cold if you don't mind). Or get creative with wraps! Anything in a whole wheat tortilla is yummy and portable! Make like a corn and bean salsa in a wrap or do a chicken Caesar wrap. I also like quinoa salads. it gives that pasta salad feel but in a more wholesome way! The possibilities are endless
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Make fritatta/crustless quiche and portion that out.