Quinoa

Options
AshleyHyatt
AshleyHyatt Posts: 4 Member
Hey everyone!! I recently bought some quinoa and Chia seeds... what are some recipes you love??

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I tossed quinoa & gave chai seeds away. But that's just me. Google for recipes using them. My DD uses quinoa half & half in rice casseroles. That is about all I know about quinoa.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I cook my quinoa in chicken broth (usually buy powdered boullion and add it to water) and then add canned black beans once it's cooked. It's simple and I like how it tastes. If I don't add the beans I will add it to my eggs and veggies as a scramble.
  • AshleyHyatt
    Options
    I may just make that for lunch!
  • AshleyHyatt
    Options
    Just out of curiosity how much do you put in the broth?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I like mine cooked in chicken broth with some granulated onion and garlic thrown in for taste. I like it that way all by itself, usually as a side dish. I use "Better than Bullion" to make my broth because it doesn't have as much sodium as traditional bullion. I have also used canned Swanson brand broth in the past. You can mix it half and half with rice, or use it instead of rice, in any recipe. The cooking time is similar.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I like to make tabouli, substituting quinoa for the couscous.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like to make tabouli, substituting quinoa for the couscous.
    This. And basically any dish that calls for rice--e.g., asian stir fry dishes. I also mix it with oatmeal for breakfast
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, I prepare quinoa and use it as if it were couscous.

I use chia seeds in yogurt, putting about a tablespoon in and letting it soak overnight. I end up with chia "pudding". I may also add oats and frozen fruit.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I really don't like that pudding texture that seems to be all the rage at the moment with chai seeds. I love to just drink mine in water or toss them over a salad.

As for my quinoa I tend to cook it in miso soup and add vegetables. Probably not the best way but it works for me and tastes nice. I can never seem to cook my quinoa so that its dry. So figured soup it!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i do cook it with water and broth mixed, add drained black beans, roasted red pepper or cherry peppers, sliced up and trader joe's red pepper spread [w/eggplant]. so good!
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    chia...i put that in smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt w/granola.
  • niduran1961
    niduran1961 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have a rice cooker, you can use it to cook quinoa--same ratio as (white) rice: 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water. Incredibly convenient because it can't burn and stays warm until you're ready to eat it!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't forget to rinse the quinoa before you make it. I like adding cooked quinoa to pancakes at a ratio of 1:1 with the flour.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    https://www.pinterest.com/ald728/quinoa-and-cous-cous-recipes/

I think that link should link to a bunch of recipes but I'm dumb with Pinterest.

My favorites are the black bean & quinoa enchilada bake; crunchy Thai quinoa; soy ginger fried cous cous (made with quinoa instead of cous cous); and buffalo chicken quinoa bake. But it's really a versatile grain (technically not a grain) and good in everything I've had. I use it in lieu of pasta and rice in a lot of recipes.
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Quinoa: My favourite is to cook it with broth instead of water, and then stir in chopped feta and green onions.

Chia Seeds: I use them in recipes for overnight oats. I just posted a recipe for Chai Latte Overnight Oats, if you're interested!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa the same way I use rice...i've never used chia seeds.

usually I just cook the quinoa in chicken stock...sometimes I add cilantro or something depending on the dish it's to compliment. sometimes I do a pilaf with it...just depends on what it's going with.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I soak chia seeds overnight in a little bit of almond milk and use that for my daughter's smoothies in the morning. Just add frozen fruit and whatever else to it.
    I also use chia seeds to thicken gravy instead of flour or cornstarch.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I soak chia seeds overnight in a little bit of almond milk and use that for my daughter's smoothies in the morning. Just add frozen fruit and whatever else to it.
    I also use chia seeds to thicken gravy instead of flour or cornstarch.

I never thought of using chia seeds to thicken gravy. What a great idea!
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag when they are on sale and pour them straight in the bin.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just stir salsa, and sometimes a few chunks of diced avocado into cooked quinoa for a quick meal. Easy and a lot of different flavor options depending on the salsa you buy/make. I have a strong preference for red quinoa, really prefer it's nuttier flavor, and just cook it in water. But you can basically use it any way you'd use rice for a healthier option.

Chia seeds go into smoothies and overnight oatmeal. Love them!