Smoking! Help!

Options
I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this!

I want to quit smoking completely. I have been smoking for 18 years and through those years I've been able to put down cigarettes for pregnancies and have occasionally just stopped for months at a time, but I am sick of spending the money and setting this terrible example for my daughter. My problem is that it's so extremely hard, especially with stress at work.

What did you do to help get past the first week? (I want to do it without patches and gums).

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. There are many aids that can help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I e-cigged for two weeks and when that died I stopped too.
    bf stopped cold turkey because he decided he was done.
    Make the decision, deep down. and the rest will follow
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    E-cig
  • MistyBlue9
    MistyBlue9 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did it with lozenges for a little while then will power. But an e-cig might work for you. Good luck, you'll do it if you really want to! :) x
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    E-cig or patches. Yeah, it'll cost for now, but you can use the money you were buying cigs with for them, and then taper off. I know several people that have quit using e-cigs.
  • Twolfe57
    Twolfe57 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too need to quit smoking. I said "need", not necessarily want. I've smoked for about 8 years. Have quit a couple times for a few months, then go back. I do have e-cig and Vape. That's the only way I could try it again. You can taper off on the nicotine in the e-cigs and Vapes until you're nicotine free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I used an e-cig. I started with the highest nicotine and weened myself down over about 6 months or so. I still use the e-cig at parties and whatnot, but I don't vape all day, everyday anymore...but I've never been able to get past the party thing and just hanging out with friends...
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. It absolutely sucked at times. I mean, I was digging through my garage hoping to find a butt I could get a couple of drags off of. After about a month I stopped really craving it, after three or four months I felt like I could turn one down if it was offered. If you really have to quit cold turkey (no replacements or aids) you absolutely can do it if you have realistic expectations of how hard it can be. Good luck!
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I find patches take away my urge to smoke, it's the habit the bothers me more. I'm fine if I fill up my time but when I'm bored that's when it would get to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There's wishing to and committed to. Make a COMMITMENT to stop and you will. I quit over 11 years ago because I promised my wife I would when we got pregnant. That's after smoking for 20 years. Quit cold turkey and never went back.
    I wrote down all the good reasons and stuck it on my bathroom mirror, refrigerator, and visor on my car. Constant reminder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am also a vaper and have been vaping for about 5 years. I vape no-nic now but only on occasion where i would otherwise smoke.

I didn't switch to vaping to "quit". I did it because i wanted another option because i genuinely enjoy the act of smoking and i didn't like the idea of getting cancer.
  • ano463s
    ano463s Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The habit is killer, and that's what gets you smoking again during times of stress--you use that instead of a different habit/coping mechanism to deal with the stress. Patches and gum can minimize the nicotine withdrawal, but really think about what you're going to do for the habits. Some things you can eliminate for a while (don't go to the places that really elicit it, try doing the activities that you pair with smoking less, etc), but other things are harder (the car ride to/from work, etc). I leaned hard on drinking water through a straw. Lots and lots of water. Another thing I learned was that some of it was the breathing. So, when the urge is too strong, try smoking an invisible one. Just lift your fingers to your lips, and breathe in deeply, the way you would if you were smoking. Do that a few times, and the deep breathing will calm you down, while the action fulfills the habit urge. Also, there are a lot of resources out there to help (I used one that's since been renamed QuitNet.com). And finally, remember the reasons for your quit. You have to be dedicated, and sometimes you need help. But even if you mess up here or there, just start again immediately by reaffirming your goals and you will make it if you really want to quit. It does get easier.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin and a fake cigarette called EZ-quit worked for me. Wellbutrin killed the need for nicotine, and the ez-quit did in the psychological addiction.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was able to quit smoking exactly 10 years ago [after smoking for 26+ years]. It was the single hardest thing I've ever done and I wouldn't have been successful without online support. I lived on Quitnet.com every single day. It got me through the first week, then the next. And all the weeks after. I still log in there from time-to-time. I'll never forget how hard it was to stop. I quit cold-turkey and it took me over a year to feel "normal" again. But because I read so much material on Quitnet, I understood how my entire wiring had to disconnect from the nicotine, tar and chemicals and that process takes time!

Every person's quit path is different. Some have an easier time moving on in their smoke-free life. But the successful people NEVER GIVE IN. The urge to smoke will ONLY go away if you never take another puff. Ever.

I urge you to check out Quitnet. If you are truly committed to putting the smokes down, their sage advice will help you over the rough spots.

It's also why I'm living on these MFP forums. The advice and support I find HERE for learning to manage my weight resembles the Quitnet support I gained for quitting smoking (and STAYING QUIT!)