Beets - for those that hate beets

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to hide beets in food, I'm trying to find new ways to cook them that might be palatable to those that don't usually like them so that they are not wasted.

For those that like beets and might be interested, I found this recipe for baked beet chips that I thought looked good. I haven't tried it yet though.

http://acozykitchen.com/baked-beet-chips/

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    RinnyBlush wrote: »
    Slice them thin, roast them a bit, and then use them as a pizza/flatbread topping with fresh basil and goat cheese. It's seriously amazing!

Hmm, never thought of putting them on pizza, but I will give that a try this weekend since I have some goat cheese on hand and the basil hasn't died out yet.
    I had a salad (appetizer sized) with those ingredients once. It was delicious!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I tried the beet chips recipe posted above this weekend. It was so delicious. But not as delicious as raw beets. I don't know why I've never heard of eating them raw. I think beets may now be my favorite raw veggie! Even my beet hating husband liked them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I tried the beet chips recipe posted above this weekend. It was so delicious. But not as delicious as raw beets. I don't know why I've never heard of eating them raw. I think beets may now be my favorite raw veggie! Even my beet hating husband liked them.

Interesting. I'm ashamed to admit, I don't think I've ever eaten a beet. I was just never exposed to things my mom didn't like (I didn't have brussel sprouts until the age of 24 or so).
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love beets. The only suggestion I have is roasted :'(
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    RinnyBlush wrote: »
    Slice them thin, roast them a bit, and then use them as a pizza/flatbread topping with fresh basil and goat cheese. It's seriously amazing!
    Gonna have to try this one! Sounds great!

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    48hr short rib, beet risotto, whipped goat cheese

o3zc8vhh4g58.jpg
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Pickling them is a great option and is pretty easy to do.
  • jdgboxing
    jdgboxing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ordered a beet powder you mix in water. Superbeets.com, if you're looking for the boost in NO. Still taste a little like beets, but much easier than the vegetable.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Pickling them is a great option and is pretty easy to do.

I love pickled beets. I grew up with them, though. Used the juice to color and/or pickle hard boiled eggs as well. Many others don't share the love.

Wish I could help, but I think all of the ways I've tried them have already been listed. Only other thing I can think of is maybe next year try golden beets if you haven't already. To me, they taste very different from red beets - more sweet, less earthy.
  • fatdaduk
    fatdaduk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've got a gallon of beetroot wine fermenting at the moment but probably not the best thing for us on a diet. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jdgboxing wrote: »
    I ordered a beet powder you mix in water. Superbeets.com, if you're looking for the boost in NO. Still taste a little like beets, but much easier than the vegetable.

No, not looking for more beets. Just more palatable ways to eat those I grew.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Spiralize them! They're excellent, especially with cheese
    0ye8vcfeg296.jpg

I realize this post is a month old, but just wanted to say that now I reeeeeally need to go buy a spiralizer, because that looks SO good!

As far as beet recipes go, I haven't tried this one yet, although I'd modify it a bit, but this looks really good: "French Peasant Beets".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    fatdaduk wrote: »
    I've got a gallon of beetroot wine fermenting at the moment but probably not the best thing for us on a diet. ;)

Is beetroot wine good? I drink wine almost daily while dieting so definitely going to research this. ::drinker::