Conventional deadlift or sumo - what's your favorite

Options
Just curious about who likes conventional deadlift or sumo deadlift.

I find I like conventional and use it most often but every once in a while mix it up with sumo.

What say you?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sumo.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Conventional. Recently read an article on which is better for different body types (http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/). Not sure if it is right, but seems consistent with my experience (long arms, short torso). I do sumo sometimes as well.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Modified sumo, relatively close stanced. Not pulling at all this training cycle and I only sort of miss it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Barbonica wrote: »
    Conventional. Recently read an article on which is better for different body types (http://www.elitefts.com/education/training/choosing-conventional-or-sumo-based-on-your-bone-structure/). Not sure if it is right, but seems consistent with my experience (long arms, short torso). I do sumo sometimes as well.

Lol, I've got long arms and a long torso but short legs. My wife thinks I might be a hybrid gorilla-otter.

Conventional feels "better" but maybe that's only because I only dabble with sumo every once in a while.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Sumo. Conventional is just uncomfortable for me.
  • jhass80
    jhass80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do sumo on leg days and conventional on back day. Both are excellent.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Between these two options, my lower back prefers sumo. But given the chance, I prefer trapbar instead of either.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Modified sumo. Legs a few inches inside the rings. It enables me to combine both solid leg drive and a shorter lock out.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Built for conventional.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Between these two options, my lower back prefers sumo. But given the chance, I prefer trapbar instead of either.

Forgot about those. Know a couple guys that have used them to increase their conventional DL's.

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Conventional. But maybe because I have never tried the other.
  • eatgoodeat
    eatgoodeat Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Agree. I tried sumos this week and they felt good and I could do them, went back to conventional because that's how I initally learned how to do them, it felt more comfortable. Could probably enjoy sumo as well with some practice.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    eatgoodeat wrote: »
    Agree. I tried sumos this week and they felt good and I could do them, went back to conventional because that's how I initally learned how to do them, it felt more comfortable. Could probably enjoy sumo as well with some practice.

It's tough to learn, far more technical of a lift.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    eatgoodeat wrote: »

It's tough to learn, far more technical of a lift.

This must be me. I have tried my hand with them twice for extended periods and while I feel more comfortable in the setup position than conventional, I just can't seem to move weight like I can with conventional.
    I now just use them periodically as an assistance movement depending on my training cycle.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I switched over to pulling sumo about a year or so ago. I feel like it targets my hamstrings and glutes more than a conventional stance. Also with as tall as I am, taking few inches off the vertical travel of the bar doesn't hurt :)

When I first switched to them, I had to lower the weight, but I've now surpassed what I used to lift with a conventional stance.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    BigMech wrote: »
    I switched over to pulling sumo about a year or so ago. I feel like it targets my hamstrings and glutes more than a conventional stance. Also with as tall as I am, taking few inches off the vertical travel of the bar doesn't hurt :)

When I first switched to them, I had to lower the weight, but I've now surpassed what I used to lift with a conventional stance.

Brian, I know first hand the amount of DL's you do from IS.....
    Crazy the volume you do!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I tried sumo today and it felt strange. I couldn't quite get into a rhythm. I probably should have done a few conventional to warm up then switch instead of trying sumo cold. I will need to watch a few more videos and try again.