I want to gain weight!

Options
Are there any other females here trying to gain weight? I feel like I'm the only one :(

Replies

• Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Removed.
  • shayepretty
    shayepretty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am :)
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes I've just been told by my doctor that I've to put on between 4-7lbs :( I've lost just over 2 stone so this feels like a step in the wrong direction for me, but my periods stopped for a few months when I was at my lightest and as I have a strong family history of osteoporosis, and also because I would like another child, I have been advised to increase my weight from 112lb to 119lbs to get hormones back in check. What are your reasons for gaining weight? x
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options
    Yes I've just been told by my doctor that I've to put on between 4-7lbs :( I've lost just over 2 stone so this feels like a step in the wrong direction for me, but my periods stopped for a few months when I was at my lightest and as I have a strong family history of osteoporosis, and also because I would like another child, I have been advised to increase my weight from 112lb to 119lbs to get hormones back in check. What are your reasons for gaining weight? x

Similar reasons to yours. My period has stopped for 1 year now, dry skin, low in energy, and hair loss. My doctor told me to get my weight back up to 120 lbs. What's your height? I'm 5"2.

Also... I want to gain strength!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yes low body weight can lead to infertility. Get into your healthy weight range.
  • kirstens1984
    Options

Similar reasons to yours. My period has stopped for 1 year now, dry skin, low in energy, and hair loss. My doctor told me to get my weight back up to 120 lbs. What's your height? I'm 5"2.

I'm 5' 3.5" so I know deep down that 110-112 is a bit on the low side. But yes, I'm shattered a lot of the time, low concentration levels and missed my period for 6 months. BMI is 19 and I thought that was ok, but doctor said it will have upset my hormones. I went on holiday recently and ate more, put on a couple of pounds and I've since had a period (albeit I've not had any more since!) So I guess the doctor is proven right. But I'm still 112lb now, need to change my mindset and realise its ok to gain a bit of weight as long as its muscle not just flab :) 120lb is probably where I'll aim for too, as that was the weight I was before I got pregnant with my little boy, so I must have been a healthy weight to conceive.

How many calories are you aiming for per day to gain weight slowly? x
  • thompsonbritany
    thompsonbritany Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been tiny my whole life... Never been able to gain.. Even went on the drop prova birth control shot and didn't gain! I'm at my lowest now! Range between 82-89... My highest has been about 110 I'm 5foot 5inches... I use to eat like a fat kid! But 5years ago became very sick with something called fibromyalgia it's effects my everyday life in the worst way! I'm in serve pain 24/7 every were all,over my body... Its caused me not to want to eat much... I try and try... I hate being skinny I wanna gain 70lbs most my drs don't seem like my weights a big deal... Due to my health being so bad... I'm 26 I want kids too but I'm sure with my weight use have issues also with my chronic pain.. Tjeres no way I could carry a child and I'm basically at a point I can't take care of myself... So uhh I'm a mess... I've grown up with people always asking if I'm a anorexic or bulemic... Or ppl just assuming... Uhh hate this...
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yep lots of weight gain needed so hard!
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    I've been tiny my whole life... Never been able to gain.. Even went on the drop prova birth control shot and didn't gain! I'm at my lowest now! Range between 82-89... My highest has been about 110 I'm 5foot 5inches... I use to eat like a fat kid! But 5years ago became very sick with something called fibromyalgia it's effects my everyday life in the worst way! I'm in serve pain 24/7 every were all,over my body... Its caused me not to want to eat much... I try and try... I hate being skinny I wanna gain 70lbs most my drs don't seem like my weights a big deal... Due to my health being so bad... I'm 26 I want kids too but I'm sure with my weight use have issues also with my chronic pain.. Tjeres no way I could carry a child and I'm basically at a point I can't take care of myself... So uhh I'm a mess... I've grown up with people always asking if I'm a anorexic or bulemic... Or ppl just assuming... Uhh hate this...

I'm really sorry to hear of your condition, it must be really tough. You already know this but you are worryingly and alarmingly underweight, and the doctor should be concerned - have you tried seeking a second opinion? Is there medication available to control the pain? I'm no doctor but my guess was that if you could increase your weight to within the healthy range, you may find your symptoms reduce given that its a muscular skeletal disorder. Also have you thought about seeing a qualified dietician? I know there are certain foods that are beneficial for certain health problems but maybe someone suitably qualified could guide you in the right direction. Maybe there are high calorie supplements / shakes which could boost your calorie intake without feeling you are eating loads more than you can?

I'm guessing its highly unlikely that you've had a period for a long while at a bmi of 14, this in itself may be worsening your condition - I've been told that due to my family history of osteoporosis, having no periods means low oestrogen, which can lead to low bone density and low bone strength.

You mention gaining 70lbs which seems like a huge mountain to climb, I think you just need to aim to increase your bmi to above 20. At your height this would be a weight of approx 121lbs or more, which means gaining 40lbs, maybe a little more depending on how you feel when you get there.

Sorry not to be much help as I'm not medically qualified. But I didn't want to read and run. Sounds like you know deep down what you need to do, and I'm sure with the right support you can get there. Feel free to add me if you need some encouragement :) good luck with your weight gain journey xx
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options

I'm 5' 3.5" so I know deep down that 110-112 is a bit on the low side. But yes, I'm shattered a lot of the time, low concentration levels and missed my period for 6 months. BMI is 19 and I thought that was ok, but doctor said it will have upset my hormones. I went on holiday recently and ate more, put on a couple of pounds and I've since had a period (albeit I've not had any more since!) So I guess the doctor is proven right. But I'm still 112lb now, need to change my mindset and realise its ok to gain a bit of weight as long as its muscle not just flab :) 120lb is probably where I'll aim for too, as that was the weight I was before I got pregnant with my little boy, so I must have been a healthy weight to conceive.

2200 now. But I will increase it to 2400 if I still don't see any results... How about u? I'm thinking of not tracking,,, so difficult as I eat out often...
  • EllenCawley2015
    EllenCawley2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Trying to gain weight and increase muscle at the same time is anyone struggling in finding a workout plan that doesn't centre around becoming lean or doing cardio?
  • EllenCawley2015
    EllenCawley2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 114lb and about 5ft5/6 so not extremely healthy weight! Have put on a lb in a week though! High carbs and protein, finding fruit juice really helpful as it is high in carbs if anyone is finding eating big meals a struggle
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm 114lb and about 5ft5/6 so not extremely healthy weight! Have put on a lb in a week though! High carbs and protein, finding fruit juice really helpful as it is high in carbs if anyone is finding eating big meals a struggle

Eating big meals is a struggle if you aren't used to it. I go with pistachios and whole milk to get an easy calorie boost.

If you want to keep a hold of fat and build muscle you can cut back the cardio and stick more to the heavy lifting for building the muscle while not burning off too many calories with the cardio. :smile:
  • LaurenCole911
    LaurenCole911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I am 103 and my goal is to at least get up to 105 this month.
  • FrancescaMariehowlett
    Options
    It's such a relief to know I am not the only one :) It's so hard to find out the right information to gain weight as a female. I've always been naturally very skinny and hated it but recently have lost even more weight from stress and anxiety, found out I'm intolerant to some foods too which makes it even more tricky to put the weight back on! I've always been trying to put weight on for as long as I can remember. I'm 5'7 and currently 112 lbs, At the moment I'm trying to get back to how I was before which was 119 lbs. I'd love to be a lot heavier but that is my goal for now! How is everyone finding their calorie goals? Mine is 2580 a day
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options

I was 2200 on saturday, but i felt hungry even after hitting 2200. I think it's my body telling me that it needs more nutrients to keep up with my level of activity. Hence I will be increasing it today 2300. No point resisting hunger when my body says FEEEEEEED ME!!!!

How about you? What's your current calories intake now?
  • Shouliveshappy
    Options
    Trying to gain weight and increase muscle at the same time is anyone struggling in finding a workout plan that doesn't centre around becoming lean or doing cardio?

I am following ICF5X5 :)

• Shouliveshappy
    Options
    It's such a relief to know I am not the only one :) It's so hard to find out the right information to gain weight as a female. I've always been naturally very skinny and hated it but recently have lost even more weight from stress and anxiety, found out I'm intolerant to some foods too which makes it even more tricky to put the weight back on! I've always been trying to put weight on for as long as I can remember. I'm 5'7 and currently 112 lbs, At the moment I'm trying to get back to how I was before which was 119 lbs. I'd love to be a lot heavier but that is my goal for now! How is everyone finding their calorie goals? Mine is 2580 a day

I use iifym.com lean body mass formula and key in my bodyfat% activity level etc. TDEE is about 2050 - 2150. As mentioned above:
    15 - 21 Aug: 2000-2100 calories (Weekly average 47.5kg)
    22 - 23 Aug: 2100-2200 calories (Lost weight, strength decreased while lifting, weighed myself for past 2 days: I was 46.6kg - 47kg)
    24 Aug: Decided to increase to 2300 - 2400 calories this week. Will check back in :)
  • kirstens1984
    Options

I was 2200 on saturday, but i felt hungry even after hitting 2200. I think it's my body telling me that it needs more nutrients to keep up with my level of activity. Hence I will be increasing it today 2300. No point resisting hunger when my body says FEEEEEEED ME!!!!

How about you? What's your current calories intake now?

MFP reckons I need 1500 to maintain, so I'm having a bit more than that - averaging 1700 ish as is eat closer to 1500 in the week, and 2000-2200 at weekend as I have more time on my hands to cook / allow myself treats. Guess I should be eating a bit more than that then? I do get hungry, it's just a strange change of mindset for me to actually want the scales to go up rather than down having lost my baby weight (and a bit more!). It's the gaining strength I want to focus on, don't mind the scales going up if I am getting more muscle and toned. What exercise do you do for strength training? x