counting calories at restaurants

Options
how do you guys log your meals if you go out to eat or eat at somebody's house? I always feel like I'm underestimating

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    questimate and enjoy the hell out of my dinner out thats all
  • mtringali13
    mtringali13 Posts: 41 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    omg I love this lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

This. The good thing is, if you're going to a chain, you can usually look up the nutrition info online beforehand and figure out what fits your goals.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

This. The good thing is, if you're going to a chain, you can usually look up the nutrition info online beforehand and figure out what fits your goals.

indeed and you lose that in a couple of days just water.

I gain water weight when i eat out, but it didnt stop me from losing 105 pounds in 10 months....or my weight loss
    And more important...just normal living.

dinners out, parties etc etc happens
    thats life...deal with it, enjoy it, next day back on track even when you gain some water weight...no big deal.

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I practice mindful eating which can be harder to achieve when I'm out at a restaurant but still very doable :)
    http://zenhabits.net/travel-social-eating/

and I dont log my meals at restaurants or when I'm out because if I drink wine, I cant remember everything I ate anyway lol.
    I think it is more important to feel free and enjoy these occasions, then try to make up for it the next day and onwards.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    1) if you're going to a restaurant, look up the restaurant online and see if they've got a menu ... some might even list calorie counts.

2) if the restaurant you're going to doesn't list calories, check similar restaurants which have similar food and see if they do.

3) still no luck? Look up recipes ... you might be able to find a recipe that is similar to what the restaurant (or your friends) serve. Many recipe sites online, and some recipe books, list calories.

4) check MFP's database ... sometimes someone else has been there and has entered info about certain dishes.

5) when in doubt, enter 2 servings rather than 1. Many restaurants serve up huge portions ... probably easily 2 servings.

I also do things like ... have a salad with no dressing or dressing on the side. That helps fill me up a bit. Order the "entre" or "half-order" rather than the full order. Choose veggies as a side rather than chips. Drink water.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating at someones house, I find the generic version of what they made and add 10%. It's been working so far for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,708 Member
    Options
    Guestimate is basically correct.

If a chain check to see if they have nutritional information. If not, think back to similar meals at a chain restaurant and draw equivalences.

Take a picture of what you eat. Reconstruct the dish using your diary and MFP's database.

Don't forget to add a tablespoon or two or three of oil, butter, or margarine as most restaurants are far from thrifty when it comes to using excess fat during the cooking process.

Don't be afraid to specify how you want your food cooked and served (and to pay a bit extra if your wishes are honoured). "I would like my chicken cooked dry without excess oil, and my veggies steamed without margarine, oil, butter, or sauces added to them please. Please serve my salad with the dressing on the side. Thank you."
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Give your best guess then multiply it by three. Then eat only one third.