Metformin Woes

Options
I am prescribed 500g of Metformin twice daily- once in the morning, and once at night.

This is not my first time with the drug, as I was on Glucophage as a teenager.

As a teen they diagnosed me with PCOS, as an adult I am told that my case is very slight- but I still struggle with weight loss and hormone issues.

The reason I quit taking it ten years ago was because of the constant stomach pain/unpleasant bathroom visits. Ten years later, I am trying it again- this time I really want to get to a healthy weight. (Yes, I also watch my food and exercise. Unfortunately my Endocrinologist also informed me that my metabolism is very poor- he advised 800 calories a day, but that's another story).

Are there any other women here who take it daily and have found a way to cope? I eat pretty clean- vegetables, fruits, eggs, lean meats, nuts, etc. My only vices are the occasional diet soda, a splenda-like addition to black coffee, or a Powerade Zero (I know, I know, fake sugar is just as bad and soda messes up your gut bacteria- but I am very cognizant of my intake). I try to keep my carbs under 50/day- and that is without detracting Fiber. I try to eat every few hours.

I am still getting really sick whenever I eat or don't eat. I can't win. Does anyone have any advice/it gets better handouts for me? It makes it hard to get active when I can't because I need to be near a restroom.

I am trying very hard to stay positive, but I'm struggling. I also seem to bloat more on the medication- and have lately noticed and increased nervousness that is making it difficult to sleep (the past two nights I've gotten about three hours). I shake my foot, my heart speeds up, and today my face is red.

I want to lose the weight, and the scale doesn't move when I don't take the pills. :(

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd cut the pills in half and take four times a day. Don't eat enough with metformin and you will feel ill. Allow yourself to get too empty afterwards and you will feel ill. Metformin does have an appetite suppressant action which you can look at as a clue when to stop eating.

Your digestive system should adjust with fewer symptoms over time.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Are you on the extended release version?
    That made a world off difference for me. I almost quit taking it too so my doctor switched me to the ER and the side effects were much more tolerable.
    Also start off with 500mg just once a day. Take that for a couple of weeks before adding in the second dose. The first few months I was on it any high fat meal had me running to the bathroom. Once I adjusted though I can eat anything again without consequence.