Muscle recovery time??

Options
I was wondering how long you take between working out the same muscle groups. I have autoimmune arthritis- so I am limited with what I can work with at any given time. Right now I stick to legs/glutes and abs as I cant use my shoulders. I do the Butt Bible dvd which I love...and I find it takes me a full week to recover!! i would love to be able to do the video 2x a week, but then I would have to not push myself for the burn the way that I do. Is it normal to need that much time for the soreness to go away??

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If you're working the same group of muscles you should take a least a day in between. I usually take a cold shower and Sivation Xtend, so my DOMS aren't that bad ... certainly not a week.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis, I do strength training 3 days a weeks with a full day of rest between work outs. On rest days I'll some lite cardio.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Recovery doesn't have anything to do with being sore. The truth is that the more you do a given exercise, the less sore you will get over time. In all likelyhood you will reach a point where you don't feel sore at all even if you did a tough workout.

If you're getting so sore that you don't feel like you CAN exercise without resting for a week, tone it down a little and work your way back up.

The only recovery period that you should need is around 24-48 hours for a regular person. But remember, being sore is something else all togther, and should only be avoided to the point at which it keeps you from working out again.
  • CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is true. I suppose I am talking more about muscle soreness. I can either stay with the same workout at level one until it doesnt feel like its making an impact, but then I feel like, what's the point. Soreness is good.. I just don't get why the soreness lasts so LONG for me. I'm not doing anything crazy or even using weights..lots of floor exercises. So my options are wait a week and push myself or work out not as hard? Is it possible I just have sore muscles for longer thqn most people?
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I was so sore when I first started doing squats that it hurt to sit on the toilet for 2 weeks, but you have to push through. I usually feel less sore when I keep going, and I rest one day between workouts.
  • CajunTexan33
    Options
    Part of it is definitely getting back into the routine again..but I did these tapes for 3 months and it was the same every time! i was increasing in difficulty..but thats what I was wondering about. A week seems to be the norm for me.
  • OgahpahBear
    Options
    In my experience, a week is probably too long to wait before working the same muscle group. I like to shoot for every third day, even if those muscles are sore. For instance, I will do pullups on Mondays and Thursdays, pushups on Tuesdays and Fridays, and squats on Wednesdays and Saturdays, with Sunday being a total rest day for the next weeks insanity. On most second workouts of the week my muscles are a little sore from the first workout, but I just battle through and 'tough it out." I don't notice any lack of performance on those workouts either. In fact, I am usually stronger. Everyone's body is different, but a whole week for muscle recovery seems excessive.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yeah yeah it doesnt matter if your sore, i will sometimes go though phases where i focus on a certain muscle group a little more for a couple weeks, 1-2 days between is all you need, if your still sore in that area, once you get going it will all loosen up and feel awesome!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Best remedies for DOMS and muscle/joint soreness...

1) Foam Roller/Lacrosse Ball
    2) BCAA's
    3) Glutamine
    4) Glucosamine (joints)
    5) Body-weight Plyometrics (the more you keep moving the less DOMS will cripple you)

If you do have DOMS then usually 1-2 days between muscle group workouts is good, but it really depends on your body.
  • CajunTexan33
    Options
    Well it's officially day four. I added some really great glucosamine pills for my joints..actually feeling better today. Nots 100% but probably good enough to attempt the video again at least one more time this weekend! Thank you everyone!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is true. I suppose I am talking more about muscle soreness. I can either stay with the same workout at level one until it doesnt feel like its making an impact, but then I feel like, what's the point. Soreness is good.. I just don't get why the soreness lasts so LONG for me. I'm not doing anything crazy or even using weights..lots of floor exercises. So my options are wait a week and push myself or work out not as hard? Is it possible I just have sore muscles for longer thqn most people?

Well like I said it should go away to some extent, if not entirely, over time. Don't be in such a hurry to kick your own *kitten* lol, if taking it slow means you can get more in, why not stay at level 1 for now?
  • CajunTexan33
    Options
    Oh yes I'm in no hurry to go to level two. Usually takes me about 4 times at level one until I move up. :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    There's an assumption that the muscles are being worked to complete exhaustion.