"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

What is your opinion on this controversial quote? It was on my Pinterest newsfeed today and just got me thinking. I must say being -34lbs feels pretty darn good. I am in no way skinny and I probably will never be. Even as a very overweight person I don't really understand the hate for this quote. I find it true. Maybe because she used "skinny" vs healthy or some other word? The only argument I have against this quote is bacon. Bacon tastes pretty damn good.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    People hear 'skinny' and assume a bag of bones with no muscle.
    When I hear 'skinny' I hear it in terms of what I want my body to look like/feel like.
    So for me 'skinny' means fit, with some nice muscle, with a fairly flat tummy.

But people get all bent out of shape over the word 'skinny'.
  • mgoddard1527
    mgoddard1527 Posts: 20 Member
    I think the statement itself is probably true. I think the fact that it was Kate Moss, the poster child for "heroin-chic", that said it is what made it controversial......
  • jarrahm133
    jarrahm133 Posts: 27 Member
    I agree with this quote and I use it as motivation sometimes myself.
    I think it is frowned upon as it can make overweight people feel really bad and it's seen to be judgemental. Yea it probably would have been better to use a word such as healthy instead.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    She also most likely makes tens of thousands of dollars an hour, to be skinny; I prefer the word thin though instead. When I think of the word "skinny", it just seems unhealthy & she also I believe was doing drugs (Cocaine), possibly to help remain skinny.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I hate this quote, it smacks of ED thinspiration to me.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member

+1
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member

Bingo. Right on the money.
    Also- has Ms. Moss never tasted bacon? Cheese? Those are pretty damned delicious, if you ask me, and you can TOTALLY EAT THEM IN MODERATION and still be slender. Gah!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2015
    Substitute health for skinny and I'd say it's fine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    I was skinny at one time..........................hated it. So I ate a lot of stuff that tasted great and got the body I wanted.
    My opinion of the quote is it's basically stating people can't eat "bad" stuff and stay lean.........................which is totally untrue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.").

I was just thinking that.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member

yup. i'll never be what the mainstream considers skinny. never was, even at 125 lbs.

i aim for healthy. oh well.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Kate Moss (nor Weight Watchers for that matter) is not the first celebrity to be quoted using the feel/skinny quote. A well known female celebrity in the 40's or 50's was quoted many times as saying it but, unfortunately, I can't find her name.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I think most people are uncomfortable with the quote because it sounds creepily pro-ana. That said, I believe the quote to be true for me, as well as for most other people on MFP (even if they won't admit it). After all, how many of us have turned down that extra slice of pizza, or that extra scoop of ice cream, or whatever, because it didn't fit our macros that day and we decided that losing (or maintaining) our weight was more important than eating that yummy food?
  • tomatoey
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.

Was it Gloria Vanderbilt? I feel like she's got something to do with it
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Is this a controversial quote? Or is the definition of skinny the controversy?

Skinny can mean anything for 7-24% body fat depending on who you ask.

I can think of people who would call run way models skinny and people who wear less than 3xl pants skinny.

But to answer your question, she clearly has never had Oporto Bondi burger with Portuguese style chilli sauce and chips.

Or a bag of frozen mint peas in a hot summer day.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I don't mind the word skinny but I disagree with the quote. I won't ever deny myself *kitten*. I have a flat stomach after four kids, I deadlift 245 pounds, I haven't counted calories in 5ish years and I'm doing great.... eating my cheeseburgers
  • tomatoey
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Is this a controversial quote? Or is the definition of skinny the controversy?

It's been taken on by pro-ana types as a kind of slogan (often alongside a pic of Moss)
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    ...snip...

Thank dog I can both eat those foods and accomplish my goals. That tastes pretty effing good.

dog, yes.

2zh0852.jpg