Herbalife, soy protein

Options
So, I've recently come to the realization that soy protein isn't good for your in high quantities, so the herbalife shakes what about those? What's a safe amount ?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You don't need Herbalife shakes to lose weight. Not to mention, drinking a shake doesn't assist you in learning how to eat correctly when you've reached your goal.
    If you're intention is to learn how to eat correctly, then start now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azucker88
    azucker88 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know this, but I like them for a quick morning meal, I know how to eat correctly but it's convenient to eat on the go, and I've lost 26 lbs without it. Just wanted it for quick breakfasts
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    azucker88 wrote: »
    Yes, I know this, but I like them for a quick morning meal, I know how to eat correctly but it's convenient to eat on the go, and I've lost 26 lbs without it. Just wanted it for quick breakfasts

If you knew how to eat correctly then you wouldn't be buying into Herbalife lol.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you have an objection to the ingredients, maybe try a different brand of meal replacement shake? I drink Raw Meal from Garden of Life. I typically use the snack size (1 scoop) as a protein shake, since I don't typically like the idea of meal replacement, but it's designed to be nutritionally balanced enough to replace a meal if you use two scoops instead of one. No soy or fillers are used, and it's all sweetened with stevia. Honestly, it's about as "clean" as you can get for a meal replacement shake.
  • mmutluaydin
    mmutluaydin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dont know herbalife. But if you drink protein shake, that s fine for a replacement. But i wouldnt recommend any shakes having needless carbs in it. You better eat an apple or banana instead.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I prepare my own shake, prior to my workout.
    One banana, whey protein isolate, almond milk and a dash of cinnamon powder.
    Healthier and less expensive than off the shelf already prepared shakes.
    I second @ninerbuff , nobody needs shakes to lose weight. You lose weight by eating at a deficit.I take my shake (as described), to support my exercise, not to lose weight
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Find another shake, you'll save money and feel better about the ingredients.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    azucker88 wrote: »
    Then pick a more cost effective option if that's the case.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on herbalife. Buy a regular protein powder for a fraction of the cost, and add other ingredients such as banana, spinach or whatever, and make a yummy breakfast smoothie. I have one everyday for lunch, and takes a few minutes to make
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "safe" amount of unfermented soy. It's not good for you in any quantity. Unfermented soy is one of the worst things you can put into your body regardless of if you are male or female. Fermented soy on the other hand is actually good for you. If you really want to know why unfermented so it is so bad do a Google search for "the doctor within" and go to the chapter entitled "the magic bean."
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I ate too much soy and found my toes went numb. It took 6 months to get the feeling back. I eat a few things with soy in it now but for a while even if I ate small amount it would cause my toes to go numb.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    I ate too much soy and found my toes went numb. It took 6 months to get the feeling back. I eat a few things with soy in it now but for a while even if I ate small amount it would cause my toes to go numb.

WOW! So glad to hear that you finally got the feeling back in your toes!
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Eating soy protein, and other dairy-free protein drinks or foods leaves a smaller carbon footprint... Its a sustainable source of protein. Your carbon footprint shrinks with every plant-based meal you choose.

HOWEVER, I agree that soy is not the best.. (I suffer from hormonal disorders) ....

There are protein powders, though, made from Hemp, Oat, Brown Rice, nuts, coconut, etc. You just have to do the research, and find something within your price range.

I recommend VEGAONE, because their products contain: Sprouted whole grain brown rice, pea, hemp and SaviSeed.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    jadowns wrote: »
    HOWEVER, I agree that soy is not the best.. (I suffer from hormonal disorders) ....

There are protein powders, though, made from Hemp, Oat, Brown Rice, nuts, coconut, etc. You just have to do the research, and find something within your price range.

Agreed.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a "safe" amount of unfermented soy. It's not good for you in any quantity. Unfermented soy is one of the worst things you can put into your body regardless of if you are male or female. Fermented soy on the other hand is actually good for you. If you really want to know why unfermented so it is so bad do a Google search for "the doctor within" and go to the chapter entitled "the magic bean."

Wow! Thank you for the link. That was a real eye opener! The trail always leads to money.

• peterpreece
    peterpreece Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stay away from herbal life is the answer
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any reputable links about soy and health? I looked at this "the doctor within" link and it reads like a big conspiracy theory. Further googling revealed naturalnews.com and mercola. Not reliable sources, by any means.

I have heard about soy specifically to be avoided for hormonal issues. But otherwise...everything in moderation, right?

Now Herbalife...there's got to be more reasonable options out there for quick breakfasts....