Why I weigh daily

Options

Replies

• drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well. I find the fluctuations fascinating and if I feel I'm getting too attached to the # on the scale, then I force myself to stop weighing for a day or two. I know for the last 2 months, around a certain time, I "gained" 4 lbs. Then they slowly disappeared. I also have an app. that I track the #'s on. it's just interesting and as long as those #'s don't go up and up and up, I'm ok with it. I know I didn't gain 4 lbs in a day, just like I know I didn't lose 2 lbs the next day. It's all kinds of factors. It's being able to understand and make sense of those factors that counts.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh daily, as I don't have a digital scale (yet). I'm currently just weighing weekly and logging the weights, after a few weeks I might make a graph out of it :)
  • nlespier
    nlespier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. I too weight every day first thing in the morning. I like seeing losses, even if they are small. It motivates me and keeps me on track. If I see a gain, but I know I've stayed on track, I look back at what I ate and drank to see if maybe I had too much sodium and not enough water. Or maybe I just ate something heavy for dinner and it stuck with me. It's really helped me think about everything I'm eating and drinking. I had gotten to a point a LONG time ago that I would weigh myself multiple times a day and finally one day my husband hid the scale from me and would only bring it out in the mornings. Thankfully I'm over that :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I used to be obsessed in a bad way about losing weight. Every time i used the restroom or before i went to bed.. just all the time. i would weigh myself.. it got really unhealthy.. although, it was a motivator and learning lesson about what i eat and how it affects my body. It also made me feel depressed and angry about myself and maybe a decision i made , I might not eat or binge even. I started to do this again recently and I have stopped but it's a battle everyday not to get too into it and be obsessed it's just a number on the scale! I know if i do it once a day... i will have to do it all day.. I wish i had the strength to be able to do it once a day like you guys!

Awhile ago just for fun I weighed myself every two hours for two days except at night. There was a 5 pound swing throughout the day. What was really crazy (to me) was that each night I lost two pounds from the weigh in right before bed to the weigh in upon waking. I am pretty sure the fat fairy comes and feeds off of of you if you have been good :bigsmile:

Other than that I never weigh other than first thing with one tiny exception... we keep a scale here at work in the bathroom and another guy and myself have a secret competition called the biggest loser, it's a um um um before and after sort of thing if you know what I mean. The record so far is 1.8 pounds! We don't tell anyone else about this, especially the women :laugh:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    These are all excellent reasons for weighing in daily. I think it really boils down to personal preference and how well a person tolerates the normal day to day fluctuations.

I've been in maintenance for almost a year and I weigh myself daily allowing a two pound fluctuation. When my weight exceeds this 2 pound range (only happened 2 or 3 times since last July) I up the exercise and decrease my food intake slightly until my weight is back in range. Weighing myself daily is integral to maintaining my weight.

I will never step on the scale having gained 47 pounds overnight! Daily weighings allow me to make small adjustments as needed. It's much easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.

Best wishes, everyone!
  • radcliff17
    radcliff17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Me too. I don't panic when I gain. I just feel motivated to be more healthy that day.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am also a big fan of the daily weigh in, but not of paying any attention to the high spikes while eating at a deficit. They are a curiosity, but caused by too many different factors to make any sense of them, IMO. You only rarely get your actual truly empty body weight and it is not possible to be "less than empty". The incorrect weights do not cancel each other out because there are only incorrect high values, not low ones. It's the only weight that makes sense to me as an absolute or relative for comparison. If your weight samples were between 180 and 185 one week and 179 and 186 the next, you lost a pound. Just because you captured a higher spike the second week doesn't mean you should average it in and say you lost nothing.

I agree with this 100%! You can't have an artificial low unless you just got your really long hair cut short. When I see a new low number, in my head I consider this to be my new low even though it may be a week until I see it again.
    I agree as well and this is why I weigh myself every morning. I only record new lows.
  • nlespier
    nlespier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you guys log everyday.

I weigh everyday, but only log on Thursday. But, I'm thinking about logging daily so I have the info.

If there's a change (up or down) I log it.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I weigh everyday, but only log on Thursday. But, I'm thinking about logging daily so I have the info.

I usually still only log weekly. I logged today, because it was a low number I've hit a couple times now and I wanted to counteract a higher number I'd been hitting a few days in a row and felt I needed to log to keep myself honest.
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I record my weight in a personal graph at home, but only log it into MFP once a week, so I have a stable weight to log and not some random peak. I usually average my week's weigh-ins (minus any extreme outliers) and put that number in.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    I just really wish that you could check a box on MFP that says "Update my feed when I hit a new low weight" and then you could weight EVERY day but would only tell your friends when you hit a new low, and if so, by how much weight since that low!

Because if you weigh daily, it's constantly telling people you lose 2 lbs since last weigh in!

That would be a nice feature.

My friends know I weigh daily so they don't comment unless I type "A new low!" below the announcement.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    No whey this works!!

JK. I'll give it a try, thanks.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do the same.. if I'm down on the scale in the morning I'm happy and motivated by the success..

If I'm up on the scale in the morning (and usually I know why from what I did the day before) after a moment's annoyance I'm doubly motivated to get back on track and have a better day.

So either way it's a win for me.
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What app are you using to track your weight daily? I like the graph and I'm interested in downloading it or something similar.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a twice a day checker, only because I'm really interested to see how weight fluctuates. It's especially fascinating to see a 4-5 pound swing (typically up) during the course of a day. I only log once a week though.
  • arac62
    arac62 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well. Actually usually multiple times per day. It's basically just because i find it interesting. It's like my weight loss is a science experience and the more data samples I get, the better I can understand the process. I don't get upset by high readings as long as the overall trend for the week, or month is down. I find it really cool to see what patterns my body goes though daily and weekly. For example, my lowest weight of the day is usually after my workout right before dinner. I also tend to lose all my weight for the week between Monday and Thursday and the plateau over the weekend (alcohol may or may not have something to do with this lol).
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I don't log here every day. I have an app I use for my daily weigh ins. I oh log the weight here at the beginning of each month. That is also when I take my measurements.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like this!

too bad I'm too busy to start doing this
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    I like this!

too bad I'm too busy to start doing this

It only takes about 30 seconds a day!

The app I use is a free phone app (shown in the original graph) called Libra. It's not fancy but is super easy to use. I weigh before getting into the shower and then think about why I was up or down while showering. Get out, dry off and log it.