Personal trainer?

Options
Would you benefit from a personal trainer? How much would you be willing to pay to have one?

Replies

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I had one for a bit. She really helped get me moving in a safe, healthy way when it came to lifting weights. She taught me how to properly use machines and get correct form and gave me workouts to meet my goals on my own. I paid $40/hour with her, but that was with a special 20% off promo at my gym. I honestly think $50/hour is my max.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If they have a degree and experience in sports medicine, absolutely - and could I afford it, I'd pay $60 - $75 per session. If they don't have a degree or experience outside of "I took an online class for two weeks", "my gym trained me when they hired me", or "I'm thin, so I know what I'm talking about", then it would NOT be worth it for me - and if they charge more than $20 a session, they're defrauding people.

Sorry - strong opinions, but I've had bad experiences and amazing experiences and now I know how to tell the difference.

• 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I can see using one now and again to teach form and new exercises. Personally, I would not use one on a regular basis though. (mostly because of the cost, partly because I go to the gym on my own time, not based on an appointment).
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I pay $280/mo for 9- 30min sessions. I often get a couple of free sessions on the side in addition to the 9. It's a lot of money, and I wish the sessions were longer, but so far it has been worth it for me. I really need the motivation, accountability, and knowledge my trainer provides me with.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    OP is Shakeology (snake oil) salesperson and a beach body coach who will PM you. Reader beware.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a PT...it's awesome...but I also have some very specific fitness goals I'm working towards. If I was just going to go work out I probably wouldn't bother.

Keep in mind, a PT can only lead you in the right direction where your diet is concerned..you still have to actually follow through. Also, just like anything else, there are good ones and bad ones.

My coach is a USAC licensed cycling coach and was a strength and conditioning coach at the Olympic training facility in Colorado Springs before going on his own.

I pay $50 per session. I used to work with him weekly...mostly on my Oly stuff but now it's more like once per month and I do training group rides with him 2-3 times per month (for which there is no charge)
  • patrick_yeo69
    patrick_yeo69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Be the personal trainer yourself. Saving your money to buy the heathy foods and fruits to eat. You have to train yourself to eat heathy and cut away those junk food and no sugary drinks. Eat more protein to keep you full and if you feel hungry snack on veg or fruits instead. For a start you can try google and follow the 7 days gm plan diet. I stick thru the whole 7 days and I lost 8kg and after that I can control what I want to eat and total cut off those junk food I use to eat. Just do about 3 times les mills body balance will help you even to loose weight fast you can imagine. So don't spend your money on personal trainer I sure if I can do it all by myself so can you.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use a trainer but not for getting fit or to help with wieght loss. I use him for his experience of running and he is a physio also so he helps keep me together injury wise and has improved my running no end. Compared to a normal trainer it's not cheap but very worth it to me