exercise calories

Options
hey, who here eats back their exercise calories? just wondering if there is greater success not doing so, or if youre supposed to eat them for greater success.

i know the theory is that youre supposed to eat them. but from actual experience, not theory, what has made you lose more weight and keep it off?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I try to eat most of mine back while at maintenance. I even ate most (or all) of them back while losing, I just had my calorie goal set lower.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back sometimes and sometimes I drink them back. :drinker:
  • DTreas
    DTreas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not losing since I am eating my exercise calories???
  • JessieNeutronGirlGenius
    Options
    By reaching your calorie goal then exercising you are taking those calories and minusing from what you've eaten thereofre you should eat them back but obviously still eating healthy choices is essential. To maintain your weight you are supposed to eat 2000 calories so by having a limit lower than that you are already losing weight and by sweating and burning fat you are losing weight so yes, you should eat them back but make it healthy choices! Hope that helped.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back. The trick is for me to make sure all calorie counts are accurate and not guessed
  • goggyhigginson
    Options
    I have very low excercise calories as both of my knees are shot from being a dancer years ago. Most of mine ( excercise calories)are light walking etc but I find if you take the excericse the weight drops much more quickly than just dieting alone, even when the total calories for the day /week are the same.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back at all.
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I only partially eat them back because I find that their estimates for calories burned from activities are high...
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The weight comes off faster if you don't eat them back. I eat them back sometimes, but i always try to finish the day with at least a 200 cal surplus.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    MFP already sets you at a deficit so if you don't eat them back you are in a double deficit and probably starving.

Eat your calories. You should be breaking even at zero.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I eat some but not all back. Mostly I don't eat them all back because I don't want to. I work out at night and if I have a big burn I just can't stomach that much food in a few short hours before bed.
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back sometimes and sometimes I drink them back. :drinker:

Same here :)
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat them back, you are effectively going for a larger calorie deficit (or covering for inaccuracies in your input/output calorie counts). Obviously, if accurate a greater deficit will result in more weight loss, assuming you are not going below your BMR.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I am using the MFP calculator so I am eating most of them back. The key though is what are you using to calculate the calories burned. The most accurate way is with a HRM and even that isn't 100% so that is why I still don't eat/ or drink :drinker: them all back.

If you are using the MFP calculator for calories burned I would suggest only eating half back to play it safe. When I compare my HRM to the machines my HRM usually gives me 20 to 35% less than the machine.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back. Every BODY is different and responds different to weight loss. You just have to figure out what works best for you. My numbers speak for themselves
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Oh, this thread again.

The Search button is up to the right. :flowerforyou:
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually burn about 700 calories during the weekdays at the gym based on my HRM doing spin class and weight lifting. I eat back only 100 of those calories and I have lost 15 pounds since mid April and I am 4 pounds from my goal weight, so that it what works for me!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that the more calories you burn exercising the more important it becomes to eat at least some of them back. If you're burning a thousand calories exercising per day, you're probably going to run into trouble if you add that deficit to whatever your initial deficit had been. On the other hand, if you're burning two hundred calories exercising in a day, it's not as likely to be an issue (unless your calorie intake is already really low, I guess).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to eat your calories back so if you are following the MFP method you should eat those back. People who claim that eating back their calories makes them gain/stall are A. Over estimating burns B. Underestimating calories or C. Both

Which basically results in: Eating Too Damn Much.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have been successful eating them all back. I use an hrm with a chest strap to calculate my calories burned during exercise.